Weirdest '70s LP copy I've ever seen...any clues?

jhonendarc

• Members

All the Jap models shared that smaller Bolt-On plate with just a Number on the bottom. Which actually means something, just don't know what.

But I have seen a lot of No-Name's over the years from the late60's early 70's era. Somebody mentioned Penco?

IM002143.jpg

This one came in the shop and played well. I sold it on the Bay. It was a mid 70's also.

• Members

All the Jap models shared that smaller Bolt-On plate with just a Number on the bottom. Which actually means something, just don't know what.

But I have seen a lot of No-Name's over the years from the late60's early 70's era. Somebody mentioned Penco?

IM002143.jpg

This one came in the shop and played well. I sold it on the Bay. It was a mid 70's also.

Im digging the GIGANTO dots on that one

• Members

Somebody mentioned Penco?

Yep, I had a '75 Penco SG, it was my first brand new electric guitar. Penco guitars were made in the Hoshino factory, the same factory that made those great Ibanez guitars back then.

Now remember, Hoshino and Matsumoku shared the same supplier of hardware for a few years, which is why you'll see the same bridges, tailpieces and tuners on guitars that came from both of these factories. Hoshino, at one point, also copied the German Carve thing from Matsumoku, who used it first.

I had a hunch and I did a little more digging. I vaguely remembered that combination of color and German Carve on a specific brand of LP copy, but couldn't remember which brand the other night. It finally came to me this evening. I believe that's actually an unbranded Global guitar.

I offer this as evidence....

http://cgi.ebay.com/global-studio-play-guitar-with-a-case-NR-L-K_W0QQitemZ320163666691QQihZ011QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Some folks say Global's were Matsumoku, other's claim it was a Hoshino brand. I'm not sure who's right, but at least we now know it's an unbranded Global!!! :thu:

• Members

I'll tell I had a 62 335 copy by Kent that was from 67 MIJ.

What a fuckin mistake selling that guitar. It was actually a Hollow and not a Semi, but everything was totally original. Only thing I had to do was put a spring in the Bigsby.

But the guitar had incredable Tone. Take about WOODY? Man you could actually hear the wood. More so tahn I eve heard on any Semi or Hollowbody. And I still own 4 USA Built Gibson's and Hamer's

The PAF style humbuckers were even good on the Kent. Clear, and Clean with good output, but microphonic just like the Orig. PAFs were.

I seen a LOT of the LP copies from Japan My Favorite are the late 70's and early 80's Tokais here's my 85 which I sold to a close friend. The neck was to thin for me [60-profile] but it had the Long Neck Tenon and all 59 LP Gibson specs, and the Rosewood very much resembled Braz, I had matched it uo next to my Braz Rosewood board CS Jackson, and they were very close. The bridge SD-JB is also a early 80's and what a difference in the old JBs? They ROCKed.

mar07_04.jpg

Mar06_01.jpg

mar07_06.jpg

The Tokai's have plate on the OHSC that indicates where its built. Like this one. Gen Gakki, If you come across these for around $500. from 78 to 85. LS-50's and LS-80's? Buy them, Gibson does not build a LP this good untill you buy CS-RI's.

• Members

Buck62
:thu:

Also, if the below was going on at the time, it could have been multiple manufacturers had their hands in the "pie"

(Taken from a question asked about a Rivera LP Copy)

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guitar-General-649/Rivera-les-paul-copy.htm

My understanding (based on a lot of research) is what I stated about using the same suppliers of hardware and just constantly copying not only American ideas on their guitars, but also stealing ideas from one another. There was nobody to regulate this stuff at the time, so they pretty much did whatever they wanted to until Norlin-Gibson tossed the "L" word around - (lawsuit).

• Members

Here's another MIJ 85 FENDER 62RI Custom Telecaster. I also sold this one and this one was completely Stock. Almost sounded as good as my Custom Built 52RI..Shocking! People don't believe you when you tell them they blow US Fender production out of the water. Thats why I built my 52RI. I didn't think the Fender's were anything for $1300.

Jun08_08.jpg

jun11_09.jpg

I know were talking much different guitars when you hit late 70's early 80;s MIJ. But the 60's early 70's MIJ are nothing to sneeze at either. I have came across some exceptional playing electrics from there.

• Members

Yep, I had a '75 Penco SG, it was my first brand new electric guitar. Penco guitars were made in the Hoshino factory, the same factory that made those great Ibanez guitars back then.

Now remember, Hoshino and Matsumoku shared the same supplier of hardware for a few years, which is why you'll see the same bridges, tailpieces and tuners on guitars that came from both of these factories. Hoshino, at one point, also copied the German Carve thing from Matsumoku, who used it first.

I had a hunch and I did a little more digging. I vaguely remembered that combination of color and German Carve on a specific brand of LP copy, but couldn't remember which brand the other night. It finally came to me this evening. I believe that's actually an unbranded Global guitar.

I offer this as evidence....

http://cgi.ebay.com/global-studio-play-guitar-with-a-case-NR-L-K_W0QQitemZ320163666691QQihZ011QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Some folks say Global's were Matsumoku, other's claim it was a Hoshino brand. I'm not sure who's right, but at least we now know it's an unbranded Global!!!

Dude...you are the super-ninja Columbo of weird Japanese guitars. That's definitely it! Wish I had the $300 to pick that puppy up...I'd love for mine to have a friend to play with. :)

Any idea where Globals were sold? I'm assuming based on your information that they were a "department store" guitar of some type.

Did some digging on the Hoshino company, and apparently they've been manufacturing stringed instruments for almost 80 years (started in 1929). They're still the owner of the Ibanez and Tama brand names.

I'm so happy that the mystery has finally been solved, thank you so much for your help! :)

• Members

Fascinating developments!

I would say 300 is too much for that guitar, although I like the upgraded stop.

I
think
I saw Globals at Montgomery Wards stores.

I'm thinking you're probably right on that. I know they were sold at some department store way back in the day, and Wards seems like it may have been the one. Maybe somebody else who remembers for sure will chime in.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

hello, 

i have the exact same guitar as you weirdest lp.   the best info i have is that these guitars are exactly like the Harmony Marquis H7000WA except no logo on headstock.  same exact headstock shape and everything else, but no logo; probably intended for a distributor who would place their on logo (or not) on the headstock.

here's a few to look at:    http://aswegohomestead.com/HARMONYOWNERS.html

regards,

Joe Oliff

• Members

joliff wrote:

hello, 

i have the exact same guitar as you weirdest lp.   the best info i have is that these guitars are exactly like the Harmony Marquis 
H7000WA except no logo on headstock.  same exact headstock shape and everything else, but no logo; probably intended for a distributor who would place their on logo (or not) on the headstock.

here's a few to look at:    
http://aswegohomestead.com/HARMONYOWNERS.html

regards,

Joe Oliff

Year

• 7 years later...
  • Members
On 1/24/2008 at 12:23 AM, jhonendarc said:

Was going through some old pics of mine and came across these of my weird '70s pawn-shop LP "copy", Darla:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2084/2215441279_010d7b17c1_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2130/2215441259_5c31994f02_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2362/2215441231_f5fa5541e9_o.jpg

It's the weirdest LP copy I've ever seen. I found it in a redneck pawn shop for $50, and ever since I've been completely mystified by it.

First off, there's no brand name or serial number on the thing. No identifying marks on it anywhere. Secondly, it's retardedly heavy...MUCH heavier than my old LP Custom. And finally, it's body construction is completely odd...it's chambered, and the top seems to be made of spruce. :confused:

All I can guess is that it's some one-off custom job from the '70s. The only indications I have of a date of manufacture are the checks in the binding/finish and the fact that it has a set of '70s DiMarzio Super Distortions in it. The neck on this thing is super-fat...feels like someone cut a baseball bat in half lengthwise and glued a headstock on one end. The fretboard is a smaller radius than the typical Gibson, but it's flatter than a Fender board.

So, just wanted to see what you guys think, and *maybe* one of you guys has a clue as to the origin of this odd little beast.

I have the exact one and couldn't find anything on it. The head must be replaced on yours because that's the only place it has details and says HARMONY. it's probably the Korean version of the Les Paul look alike called THE LAWSUIT ERA or Harmony h90 is closest

Archived