Jay Turser

GarysBlues

• Members

JTJTLTRW10.jpg

I just love that rosewood model. Next one is either that or a cherry sunburst LT Cruizer semi-hollow..

I picked up that mint-unplayed Cutlass quilt top in the pic above for Fretts99 money too after live.com. Guy had it eBay BIN'd for $149 incl. shipping. I didn't even blink and hit it. Seller said the pickups were sucky and I had 2 GFS Nashville mini-hums I was going to put in it. I was surpised how nice the pickups were. I'm keeping it as-is. Mine is just jangly bright.

I had this JT-137 ... I kick myself every day for selling. Played as well as any 335 I have played.

pict0118qs0.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You are talking about the JT-280 or JT-285!

Yup, I had one of the Mosrite copies - very nice guitar - tried to convert it to southpaw since the body style is "reverse cut" - nice solid trem too (Bigsby style) - sold it here on H-C just last year - good luck finding one!

Mosrite1.jpg

:thu:

They had a mosrite-esque model in production about 5 years ago. I wanted one so bad, but was a very poor college student at the time and they no longer make it. Doesn't help that I don't know what they called that series to try to find it
:(
From what I read, that particular JT had bad reviews. But I'd trust frets with taste in guitars. If he likes it, generally I'd like it too

• Members
I like the Cutlass pickups. Like Hansolo said, jangly bright. Low output but they overdrive beautifully.

I'd be perfectly happy with them just at home or even recording. But I just need a little more juice on the bridge pickup to match the settings of my stuff with my other guitars. Maybe I'll just create and save a couple channels on my Valvetronix just for the Cutlass if I start using it consistently onstage.

• Members

:D
You two should really have a one-day buying spree contest and see who gets the most guitars for the best deals. Actually 2008 was like a year long contest

I have the Mega NGD, and Frets has?

:D It will be a year that will live in INFAMY!

• Members

You are talking about the JT-280 or JT-285!

Yup, I had one of the Mosrite copies - very nice guitar - tried to convert it to southpaw since the body style is "reverse cut" - nice solid trem too (Bigsby style) - sold it here on H-C just last year - good luck finding one!

Mosrite1.jpg

This is Seriously Cool. The Trem is the same as my old Gretch Astro Jet. I don't believe Bigsby made them but I could be wrong. First time I seen them was in the 60's though. Here I'll show you one on a Gretch

8974_F.jpg

• Members

:p

I don't know why mine is glossy. I like the satin ones too!!

They changed the rosewood tele finish to gloss on the newest models. I still see them both ways on the 'bay.

I'll break out the camera and get some pics of the Cutlass. It's the same as Fretts', just diferent finish and gold hardware. Turser even matched the stain on the neck and back to the top which surprised me. I stole it. It's a gem.

• Members

Scored a Surfmaster, a Jazzmaster mutation, on the 'bay in 07... needed some work...

PICT0061.jpg

The neck pocket was a mess and the trem was total crap. Replaced it with a Jazzmaster copy, cleaned up the neck pocket, and direct mounted the P90s (replaced the foam under the pickups with blocks of solid hardwood.)

It rocks now... and usually provokes a "what kinda guitar is that?" question.

Steve

• Members

I played one of the beatle guitars (violin-shaped) at guitar center one day. I thought it was pretty decent. I went back to work to research the street price and decided to buy it. When I got back, it was gone. I was impressed. Not so much with fender copies. Fender copies are all too common. This one was well-constructed and sounded halfway decent.

• Members

I'll play along...

My Tursers are great little guitars :thu:

JT-50 Deluxe (with GFS 'lil puncher XL' & Dream-180 & a 5-way super switch):

3080712459_b6fb544b3f.jpg

'Warlord' V (with GFS 'Crunchy PAFs):

1439720315_87df75913b.jpg

...it now has a set of GuitarHeads rail pickups (which seem almost identical to the GFS ones), a mini switch for coil-split, & a Fender style jack:

2978373410_084afaab93.jpg

& my JT-136(?) hollow-body (the lefty belongs to a friend who swapped out the bridge for a TOM, added the chicken-heads, & removed the p/g):

2851134386_c78948a349_o.jpg

• Members

I have the JT-RES in red. Defanitely different - piezzo pickup on a resonator installed in a solid body plus a mini-humbucker on the bridge.

Like it a lot. Tuners, neck, etc. are on par with mid-grade Chinese productions. Great for some country pickin'. This is a stock photo -

549735.jpg

• Members
I'll play along...

My Tursers are great little guitars

JT-50 Deluxe (with GFS 'lil puncher XL' & Dream-180 & a 5-way super switch):

3080712459_b6fb544b3f.jpg

Google says that the JT-50 is their SG copy. Can you verify the model number, cuz I'd really like to get my hands on one of those Tele copies. :love:

• Members

This is Seriously Cool. The Trem is the same as my old Gretch Astro Jet. I don't believe Bigsby made them but I could be wrong. First time I seen them was in the 60's though. Here I'll show you one on a Gretch

8974_F.jpg

That would be a Burns vibrato.

• Members

It's a Burns trem - had no complaints with it!

8974_F.jpg

• Members

Since we're talking Tursers and playability, I might add I had a JT-LT Deluxe tele-style but never bonded with it - didn't care for the maple neck on it.

However, I DID score a real bargain with my JT-200D, which I got as a blem (in the second photo, you can see there must have been some glue residue left over in the body cutout after binding the guitar that didn't take the stain as well) - being lefty didn't hurt either as it wasn't moving and they wanted it gone - I paid $120 for it without a case - the pickups are serviceable, but I'm in the process of changing them out for a set of 490/498's.

Definitely a keeper - actually feels better than my Epi standard. While I really like the binding, I was thinking of doing a refin with some Reranch products on the top - not a big fan of blonde; was thinking of amber or maybe my first attempt at a tobacco sunburst -

TURSERJT-200D.jpg

TURSERJT-200D1A.jpg

Archived