Guitar Pictures.

GreatDane

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

pictures of a 1969 Gretsch Tennessean i owned for a while. i ended up trading this to another HC'er. i loved the way the pickups sounded, and am a big fan of bigsby bridges. the neck was nice; a little thinner than i prefer, but played fine. i also figure if i ever wanted to pick up a vintage Gretsch in the future, i'd probably go with a cleaner example (there's some binding rot).

WEB_GretschTennessean-003.jpg

WEB_GretschTennessean-004.jpg

WEB_GretschTennessean-005.jpg

WEB_GretschTennessean-007.jpg

WEB_GretschTennessean-013.jpg

WEB_GretschTennessean-015.jpg

WEB_GretschTennessean-016.jpg

WEB_GretschTennessean-018.jpg

• Members

here are pics of my 1993 Gibson Les Paul Standard. it's one of their limited edition versions and has what i think are a couple of nice features; the fretboard is ebony and the finish is what i call a "redtop" (instead of the classic goldtop). the neck is slimmer like a '60s carve. nice weight on this one too- between 8.5 and 9 lbs.

w93Gibson_RedTop-001.jpg

w93Gibson_RedTop-002.jpg

w93Gibson_RedTop-003.jpg

w93Gibson_RedTop-004.jpg

w93Gibson_RedTop-005.jpg

w93Gibson_RedTop-006.jpg

w93Gibson_RedTop-007.jpg

w93Gibson_RedTop-014.jpg

w93Gibson_RedTop-017.jpg

w93Gibson_RedTop-018.jpg

• Members

here are some pictures of the "twins"; these are two Gibson Les Paul Doublecut Specials that were done as part of a limited run back in the early 90s. a few cosmetic appointments differentiate this batch from later reissues; bound dot fretboards, inlayed headstock logos, better pickups, volume/tone knob pointers.

i bought these a few months apart from the same seller; they are serial # sisters, even though the "limited edition" truss cover puts them almost 100 guitars apart. they must have done all the truss covers at once and then put them on without regard for what place the guitar was in the factory line.

WEB_GibsonLPjr_2-002.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_2-003.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_2-004.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_2-005.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_2-011.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_1-001.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_1-002.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_1-003.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_1-004.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_1-012.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane

View Post

... and the two together.

WEB_GibsonLPjr_2-013.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_2-014.jpg

WEB_GibsonLPjr_2-016.jpg

Beauties! I wish they made a double cuts in green like the single cuts in the 90s.

Why does one of the headstocks say Junior when it's a Special?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman

View Post

Beauties! I wish they made a double cuts in green like the single cuts in the 90s.

Why does one of the headstocks say Junior when it's a Special?

thank you! that's a helluva good question; i have no idea why they put the junior decal on one and not the other.

• Members

here are pictures of a 1996 Gibson SG Standard; modified with EMG pickups (an 81 & 85, i think). i bought it for very cheap off of eBay and promptly flipped it for some cash. i did not dig those active pickups, so they would have been replaced had i intended to keep the guitar.

WEB_1996SG-004.jpg

WEB_1996SG-010.jpg

WEB_1996SG-005.jpg

WEB_1996SG-007.jpg

WEB_1996SG-012.jpg

WEB_1996SG-017.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jamdogg

View Post

not bad for an sg. icon_lol.gif

haha~ yeah, it's taken me years to figure out what i like and don't like about SGs. on any other kind of guitar, i prefer a thicker neck carve, but SGs are the exception; i can only get along with the thinner 60s carve for some weird reason. the three SGs i currently own have somewhat different necks, but all are less fat than those baseball bats they stick on the standards.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jamdogg

View Post

i just can't warm up to them, but that black one is a beauty. maybe i have not found the right one.

it's possible. for a while, i had quite a few in the collection because i've always wanted to be an SG player, but i sold them or traded them because they just weren't getting any love (couldn't bond with any of them). recently, i've been getting back into them. i picked up a '93 korina SG standard a couple months back that has a slightly less thick neck and what i think are 57 classics pickups. the thing is a monster player and sounds incredible. if i were currently gigging, i might even consider giving it some stage time. more recently i picked up a late '80s SG '62RI with the smaller pickguard and thinner neck, and it's amazing. you may want to try one of the '61RIs and see what you think. you just might like it. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

pics of a 1998 Gibson SG Standard i owned and gigged for a while. i always wrestled with this one when i had it; the pickups were a little too dark sounding and the neck was a little thicker than i was digging at the time. i sold this one off.

WEB_98GibsonSG-001.jpg

WEB_98GibsonSG-002.jpg

WEB_98GibsonSG-003.jpg

WEB_98GibsonSG-004.jpg

WEB_98GibsonSG-005.jpg

WEB_98GibsonSG-007.jpg

WEB_98GibsonSG-013.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Heel

View Post

It took me years to come around to SGs. Right now, I've got a Classic, but I'd like to add a Standard to the collection one day.

i've gone through very wild swings of interest with them. hopefully that's at an end now that i've settled in with the few i have. if you're looking at standards, then try them first.

Archived