Guitar Pictures.

GreatDane

• Members

pics of my '89 Gibson Les Paul Standard w/ factory P90 pickups. i bought this guitar from a guy on TGP for a steal and have been carefully enjoying it ever since. it's my social distortion/mike ness guitar, and can get real raunchy when i need it to.

WEB89Goldtop-001.jpg

WEB89Goldtop-004.jpg

WEB89Goldtop-005.jpg

WEB89Goldtop-006.jpg

WEB89Goldtop-007.jpg

WEB89Goldtop-012.jpg

WEB89Goldtop-014.jpg

WEB89Goldtop-015.jpg

WEB89Goldtop-016.jpg

and here's a pic with my '97 R7- two lovely goldies.

WEB89Goldtop-019.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can't say I've seen one of those before - looks nice thumb.gif

I love the late 80's (and 1990) LPs personally. They can still be had for a decent price, but I've found some 'dogs' in the ones I've tried. The '89 I posted above is probably the best one - there's something that just feels right about that guitar.

It's got some bare knuckle mules at the moment (these are PAF type pickups) and its sounding great.

The sunburst '89 I sold you was also a nice one - had some issues, but still a nice guitar in my opinion. Hope you're enjoying it.

Oh, and as for collecting vs. gigging...in my case, a few of my guitars are irreplaceable, so I don't want to play out with them - however, as with all of my guitars, they do get played. I take good care of them either way - that black LP did look like a mess before though, and my other guitar which I use a lot (a double cut) is showing some wear at this point.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead, lol

View Post

Can't say I've seen one of those before - looks nice thumb.gif

I love the late 80's (and 1990) LPs personally. They can still be had for a decent price, but I've found some 'dogs' in the ones I've tried. The '89 I posted above is probably the best one - there's something that just feels right about that guitar.

It's got some bare knuckle mules at the moment (these are PAF type pickups) and its sounding great.

The sunburst '89 I sold you was also a nice one - had some issues, but still a nice guitar in my opinion. Hope you're enjoying it.

Oh, and as for collecting vs. gigging...in my case, a few of my guitars are irreplaceable, so I don't want to play out with them - however, as with all of my guitars, they do get played. I take good care of them either way - that black LP did look like a mess before though, and my other guitar which I use a lot (a double cut) is showing some wear at this point.

BK Mules are great pickups, IMO. i would love to hear how your '89 sounds; do you have any clips? i have been enjoying the '89 sunburst you sold me. definitely has that 'around the block more than once' sort of vibe, which i think is nice, from time to time. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane

View Post

BK Mules are great pickups, IMO. i would love to hear how your '89 sounds; do you have any clips? i have been enjoying the '89 sunburst you sold me. definitely has that 'around the block more than once' sort of vibe, which i think is nice, from time to time. thumb.gif

Yeah, and I don't have any clips unfortunately frown.gif It's really versatile as well - I've got RS superpots in there, and coil taps for each pickup (push pull on each tone control). There are also those bumblebee repro caps in there (luxe, I think). No idea if they make much of a difference though.

I have to say, the '04 R9 I have wins for sound. Even though I've put some of the best electronics in the standard, the R9 just has this clarity in the middle and neck position that my other LP's don't.

• Members

i'm sure i've posted pics of this one before, but i'm in the mood now, so...

this '89 Gibson Les Paul Custom has been with me through a lot of venue playing and studio recording. i bought her off of eBay a while back when customs weren't SO overpriced. she was in good shape and was pedestrian-looking enough so that i scored her for well below what i had originally budgeted. i mean, cheap.

i've since put a lot of honest wear on her; played hard, and put away wet, she has plenty of finish and hardware wear, but frets are in good shape, electronics all work as they should and i find the overall look very appealing. she's my old street walker. 11 lbs (and change, possibly), wine red, pitted, faded gold hardware, HB-R/HB-L pickups, ebony fretboard, maple cap.

w89LPCustom052010-002.jpg

w89LPCustom052010-003.jpg

w89LPCustom052010-014.jpg

w89LPCustom052010-015.jpg

w89LPCustom052010-016.jpg

w89LPCustom052010-004.jpg

w89LPCustom052010-018.jpg

w89LPCustom052010-019.jpg

w89LPCustom052010-020.jpg

w89LPCustom052010-022.jpg

• Members

i bought this 1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard from "Radiohead, lol" a few months ago. it's got some issues (fully disclosed, of course), but it's a great player nonetheless. i have a thing for late 80s and 90s Gibsons, and this one sure doesn't disappoint.

w89LPStandard_CSB-001.jpg

w89LPStandard_CSB-002.jpg

w89LPStandard_CSB-003.jpg

w89LPStandard_CSB-007.jpg

w89LPStandard_CSB-008.jpg

w89LPStandard_CSB-009.jpg

w89LPStandard_CSB-010.jpg

w89LPStandard_CSB-013.jpg

w89LPStandard_CSB-018.jpg

w89LPStandard_CSB-020.jpg

• Members

Nice pictures, I'm starting to miss that one. I just sold my '88 the other day as it wasn't getting used either. I'm sticking with my '90 standard for now - it's no different from a late 80's from what I can tell. The only weird thing which I can't explain is the shaw PAF neck pickup, and the HB-L bridge pickup. Both seem to be stock.

Maybe it's just me, but have you noticed that the 80's burst finishes are usually really dark compared to the new ones? the '89 above is actually one of the brighter ones I've come across....the '88 I just sold had a fairly dark burst, but it would look like a clownburst in the wrong lighting.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead, lol

View Post

Nice pictures, I'm starting to miss that one. I just sold my '88 the other day as it wasn't getting used either. I'm sticking with my '90 standard for now - it's no different from a late 80's from what I can tell. The only weird thing which I can't explain is the shaw PAF neck pickup, and the HB-L bridge pickup. Both seem to be stock.

Maybe it's just me, but have you noticed that the 80's burst finishes are usually really dark compared to the new ones? the '89 above is actually one of the brighter ones I've come across....the '88 I just sold had a fairly dark burst, but it would look like a clownburst in the wrong lighting.

it's a really nice guitar, and already has enough bumps and bruises so i wouldn't mind taking it to a future gig. shaws and the bill lawrences were different eras, i think, so i'd be surprised to learn that those were both factory stock. i guess weirder things have happened, but that would be up there.icon_lol.gif

i do agree with you; the 80s and early 90s bursts seem darker. not sure if it's the mix of the pigmentation, or something else.

• Members

i picked up this 1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard off of eBay, and it arrived as described. overall in good shape, but with a cracked pickup surround (boo hoo) and replaced tuners (in gold; exact replacement). it has the original HB-L/HB-R pickups which can sound really nice if dialed in properly. they're a hotter output pickup than what i'm generally used to, so i tend to dial back the OD on the pedalboard to retain control over the amp when i'm playing loud. of course, when i want to go nuts, these pickups can get me there easy. they're also pretty bright, so if i'm not careful i get decapitate people with high end. a real nice neck carve on this one (more like a 50s neck), and the weight isn't too bad (10 lbs, give or take). and the binding is aging in a really tasty way; nice and creme color. the nitro is yellowing over the burst too, so the whole guitar has a very aged vintage look to it. yum.

WEB_89GibsonLP_Tobacco-001.jpg

WEB_89GibsonLP_Tobacco-002.jpg

WEB_89GibsonLP_Tobacco-003.jpg

WEB_89GibsonLP_Tobacco-004.jpg

WEB_89GibsonLP_Tobacco-005.jpg

WEB_89GibsonLP_Tobacco-011.jpg

WEB_89GibsonLP_Tobacco-012.jpg

WEB_89GibsonLP_Tobacco-013.jpg

• Members

GreatDane - Very nice Gibson Les Paul .... I am sure it sounds even better than it looks!

thank you! and thanks for posting that other G&L. i am really diggin' the reverse headstocks. i might actually end up thinking they look better that way...

• Members

here are pics of a 1991 Gibson SG Junior I owned at one point. i really, really wanted to dig this guitar. a number of guitar players i admire have, at one point, played a SG Junior. i always thought it looked so cool; no bells and whistles, just snarly P90 goodness. i got this for cheap and sold it some time later for a decent profit. in the end i couldn't bond with the very skinny neck. man, this thing was thin. like, shredder thin. i used it for a few rehearsals, but my hand would start cramping and i'd have to switch it out eventually. too bad. i still GAS for one, from time to time.

WEB_91GibsonSG_Jr-001.jpg

WEB_91GibsonSG_Jr-002.jpg

WEB_91GibsonSG_Jr-003.jpg

WEB_91GibsonSG_Jr-004.jpg

WEB_91GibsonSG_Jr-005.jpg

WEB_91GibsonSG_Jr-006.jpg

WEB_91GibsonSG_Jr-007.jpg

WEB_91GibsonSG_Jr-011.jpg

WEB_91GibsonSG_Jr-012.jpg

Archived