A modern guitar should have...

Chordite

• Members

Most modern guitars out of the store still have fundamental design weaknesses from the 1950s that really should have been adressed in anything but an intentional retro, Steinberger dealt with some of these but I personally don't like the star trek modernism of his design, a normal strat shape can have all these features. None of this is rocket science or expensive so why hasn't this happened yet?

Double ball strings and bridge tuning instead of that 'windy round' cotton reel thing (retain a headstock for neck continuity though)

A zero fret so chords with open strings will sound consistent, modern alloys are hard enough to not groove

A volume pot you can hook your pinky round not 2 pots positioned south of Argentina

OE Strap buttons that actually hold a strap on without a beer bottle washer.

A rear contour for the ribs, a la strat

Edge fret dots bigger than a pinhead for a dark stage When your eyes get older you will understand that one :) On an unfamilliar guitar you can't always do it by radar.

• Members

Most buyers aren't interested in those things.  Floyd Rose's Speedloader system, which used double ball end strings and tuned at the bridge, came out a few years ago, but generated little interest.  The location of controls is something there is no general agreement, with some folks actually modding Strats to move the volume control further from the bridge.  Some folks associate zero frets with cheap European guitars of the '60s.

• Members

Yea I agree about the Volume Pot for Swelling effects. Most of my Guitars do not have a Volume pot in a good Bridge position. So I use a Morley Volume Plus which uses quiet Optical control and a minimum Volume setting which is Foot switchable. Why don't you try that out say in a music store to see if that will work for you.

The Strap buttons can be replaced with better ones or use a strap lock quick release system.  Those work nice.

I use double lock Whammy bars on most of my Guitars.

The dot inlays on some of my Guitars actually glow white under a Black Light and are very visible in the dark. I do not know if they did that on purpose but ESP, Ibanez, and Schecter glow white! Even some of my picks.

A zero fret I do not understand that one.

So I gave you some tips I use. You can always Hot Rod your Guitars to your liking. Most Guitars and Basses I buy I change pickups to my liking which is a very important element to the sound. I am more concerened about the electronics which is not hard to upgrade IMO.

• Members

I agree on the strap buttons. Some guitars have those super wide buttons (is it PRS?) that are wide enough that straplocks aren't really needed.

Why don't all modern electric guitars come with a built-in tuner, but just about all middle-of-the-road acoustic electrics do?

• Members

Totally agree about the strap buttons, although I just put on Dunlop straplocks.

I've had lots of guitar with and without the rib contour and while I suppose I do like having the contour it's not a strong preference... certainly not a dealbreaker.  I have 2 guitars without right now and they both feel great.  It positions the guitar a little bit different.

Unless it's a cheapie: stainless steel frets.  I can understand some folks don't like the feel, but to me it's almost a must-have.

• Members

Mr.scary96 wrote:

Graphite necks are nice, and maybe more of a selection of materials that expands beyond Ash, Maple, Mahogany or wood altogether.

Gibson has already started to Richlite which is made from partially recycled paper and some sort of resin. I think you will start seeing this more and more since wood for a lot of manufactures are getting harder to source.

• Members

Good quality control overall. I think it's a shame that otherwise well-designed guitars turn out {censored}e because of manufacturing defects, then get put on the market anyway.

Also, a universal quick-change for pickups would be nice. My Les Paul's got a quick change plug, but it only works with(my opinion) overpriced Gibson pickups. I think I remember seeing something about a system where the pickup leads were attached with screws?

Archived