How old were you when you bought your first Gibson Les Paul and how much did you pay

ido1957

• Members

22 a couple years ago. Paid $200 for a 80s Gibson Les Paul off a college student. The guitar played like crap, he had it in drop a, I didn't bother tuning it when I was playing to help add to reducing the cost. He had me plugged into a amp that cost maybe $25. It sounded horrible and I told him it was terrible and started walking away and got it down to $200. Went home, cleaned it up and it played like a dream. I later sold it a few months later for close to 1k.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

14. In 2005, I bought a 1976 Gibson L6-S. Earlier this year, I traded it for a 1973 Fender Silverface Champ and a Earthquaker Devices Hoof Reaper.

That same year, my mom bought me a Gibson SG Faded for Christmas. I still have it.

I'm not a huge fan of Gibsons, though. They almost always sound great, but the quality... The horror, the horror!

• Members

Another necro thread bumped by a first-poster. LOL. This is getting just a little predictable.

I was 45 in 2010 when I bought my first LP. The Studio 50s Tribute was released in the fall of that year, and the hype was heavy for those guitars. I got roped in. I figured it was finally time for me to get a gen-yoo-wine Gibson Les Paul, after avoiding them for so long (I was a Strat guy for many years). I paid American Musical Supply $849 for a goldtop Studio 50s Tribute -- the goldtops were selling like hotcakes, and I about got the last one. Alas, the 50s Tribute hasn't truly clicked with me -- and I've given up on it many times -- but when I tune down to D, C# and C, the guitar really opens up, sounds great and plays magnificently. In E standard it's really meh. Not sure why.

But no matter. I tried another LP in 2011, and that one's been a winner from the start.

Looking back, if I had known about the Traditional Pro, which I'm currently gassing for, I might have gotten one of those, and maybe I wouldn't have had buyer's remorse like with the Studio 50s Tribute.

• Members

I was 13 years old and I got the guitar in 1979.  It was a 1977 Les Paul Custom and was $699 new: it had sat in the case in Bill's Music House in Catonsville, MD for two years.  I know this because I started playing guitar around '77 when I was 11 years old and I had seen it there and coveted that guitar for the two years it took to save up half the price.  My parents, bless them, agreed to cover the other half and I ended up making it mine in September of '79. Can't believe it sat there long enough for me to get it.  I don't have the guitar any more...after a refret it was never the same, and being a Norlin-era LP it wasn't that great of one to start with so I eventially sold it, but it was probably the most important guitar I have ever owned because it is the one I really learned to play on and it travelled with me through the '80's and my failed attempts at rock stardom.  Had a lot of "battle damage" on that one.  I even still remember the serial number: 72497511

• Members

17, but it was a '71 EB-0 Bass with the slotted headstock. Regret regret regret trading it in for a GASP!!, Epiphone P/J copy bass. The Gibby had one sound only, muddy and loud. I needed flexability at the time. I paid $50 with the case, but traded in almost all of my guitar stuff at the time for it.

I have spent almost a year now, spending way too much, refilling a stripped out '71 body I bought for way to much too. Current tally is at $752 and I still need a bridge, nut, and strings. Found a original Mudbucker pickup and All the other electronics are new, but high quality parts (CTS, Sprague cap, etc). It will never be as nice as the one I originally owned, and now I will unfortunatly have a bit more in it than what they go for on the current market in the condition mine is in.

Seems like a common equality here is that when we are young and own such beasts, we are dumb and do stupid stuff to get them and then get stupid again and get rid of them.

• Members

My "first" Gibson was an '05 Faded SG that I traded a Marshall DSL amp for. It was cool, but still wasn't what I was looking for, so I sold it. Then I got a Nighthawk Studio, which would have probably been the perfect guitar for me if it was only a 24.75" scale - so I sold that one. Finally, at 38, I got one of my dream guitars - a real Gibson Les Paul. Here's my '13 Traditional in New Honeyburst:

LP Trad 1.JPG

LP Trad 3.JPG

Archived