Tonewoods video! Definitive.

benzem

• Members

kayd\_mon wrote:

How many custom guitars have you HAD built?

Lmao, this guy! Such funny trolling! He places an order, and that makes him an expert! And to prove his point about tonewood, he ssays that Suhr is important for having 1) modded amps and 2) wound pickups, two factors 50x more influential than tonewood. Such trolling! Such comedy! Eye heart HCEG.

Dude you come across like an ameteur. Aren't you a professional musician?

Remember John Surk also worked at Custom Audio Electronics. You know who CAE are?

Have you ever played a Suhr? Guthrie Govan had a signature guitar. I knew Guthrie back when he played his tobacco PRS and a Cornford.

gg.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Such funny trolling! Your responses aren't even related to others' previous posts.

I'll reiterate an older post - the fact that we have to debate whether or not wood is a major factor on tone proves that it isn't one. If it was such a big deal, then everyone - guitarist or otherwise - would be able to tell the difference. They can't, so it isn't. Very simple. I've said a few times that I think it is a factor, it's just a small one.

Professional? Well, people regularly pay me to sing and play for them, so I guess I am a pro.

I am still laughing that your "proof" for Suhr references his experience with amps and pickups, not "tonewood." I never knocked Suhr, I just showed appreciation for your hilarious joke! Because you must be joking. Your answer to the topic is akin to a kid in a spelling bee working out a math problem instead if spelling the word.

• Members

My issue with the snooze fest of the video is that he used a strat styled guitar, where the pickups really aren't attached to the body. I know, they're attached via the pickguard, but that just doesn't translate the vibrations of the wood well enough. If it were done using something akin to a Paul, or even a guitar that had the pickups directly mounted to the guitars body, I might be convinced. But for now, I still believe in tonewoods.

• Members

Hey now, Visconti, does that mean you won't troll here anymore? That would be very, very sad. How else would we learn about magical tonewood? Who else would fill the board trying to shill expensive custom copies? Who else would work so hard to destroy what little interest there is in those companies by parading their idiocy (feigned or not) all over the board? Even more important, who else would pop in and act like a pompous rich boy? Surely it's not a waste of time to do all this, Visconti!

• Members

knotty wrote:

Those words jump right out.

"You can hear it if you want to"

Like seeing fairies.

Fair point, and probably a poor choice of words on my part.  I was thinking more along the lines that some people won't believe 1+1=2 because they made up their mind it isn't and like to argue.  If you want to trust your ears and the experience of decades of guitar players and luthiers, you can.  If you don't want to believe wood makes a difference in a guitar's tone, feel free, nobody's going to die.

Here's an example of swapping necks on guitars:

http://www.petelacis.com/2010/07/08/alder-vs-swamp-ash-maple-vs-rosewood-and-a-neck-swap-the-definitive-comparison-with-audio-clips/

Subtle, absolutely, and in some positions I can't hear the difference.  But on others there is a noticable difference (middle+bridge played clean jumps out most to my ears).  There's a bigger difference to my ears when swapping necks on the same guitar, although I think the necks are also made of wood, so it shouldn't matter, right?

• Members

Led Zeppelin One does not sound like a Les Paul. It is a Tele given to Jimmy Page by Jeff Beck. 

When went out onm their first USA tour they opened for the James Gang. Joe Walsh was the guitar player and lead singer of that band. Jimmy and Joe were good friends. Jimmy told Joe he needed to find a Les Paul because the Tele wasn't cutting it or cutting thru. Joe told Jimmy he had a couple of Les Paul's and he would sell one to Jimmy. When they went to Joe's house Jimmy played both guitars. He chose the 1959 Les Paul because Joe had the baseball neck slimmed down and Jimmy loved it.

Jow Walsh also gave Pete Townshend a Gretsch and a Fender Bandmaster and matching cab that he used alkl over Who's Next. 

• Members

One more time....

... If you need a blind, double blind, controled, whatever experiment to prove it makes a big difference - it doesn't make a big difference! If it did, it would be obvious and the debate wouldn't exist!

Whatever difference it makes is subtle enough that it is lost in the big picture.

• Members

Q1 Does a semi hollow guitar ie a 335 for example sound different to a solid body? If so why? Lets say they have the same pickups and bridge etc...the hollow body is the only difference. What does it impart that a solid doesnt?

Q2 Does a SG and a LP again with the same pickups sound exactly the same? And does the SG Sustain less than the LP ?? If so what and why is the reasons for that?

My thougts on those 2 Qs...

Q1. Used to own a 335 copy...and have also played a few Gibson ES335s. What I've noticed in EVERY SINGLE semi hollow guitar is a spongy tone that is very noticably different to a solid body - any solid body with any wood. The electrics are picking that up somehow...it comes through 100%. What you hear acoustically - that softer spongy attack on the notes is unmissable clean or dirty. So if electonics/pickups only pick up metal...??

Q2. I own a LP and a SG both 2004 Standards. Sadly they don't have the same pickups. BB Pros in the LP which are a more trebly and lower output than the SGs darker hotter buckers...490/498T IIRC. The SG tho has noticably LESS SUSTAIN especially higher up the neck. Notes decay and fade to nothing noticably sooner.

• Members

Imagine you have five SGs and five LPs, all with humbuckers, and someone plays a riff and some chords through the same amp, rotating through the guitars randomly. You walk into this room blindfolded, and you have to guess SG or LP. How many of us would get 10/10?

We know that different guitars sound different, even with the same electronics. I did a video of the four Strats I had at the time, comparing the sound. Two of them have Texas Specials. They sound a bit different, but it's very, very, very subtle. The two guitars have different body woods and different fretboard woods. This probably accounts for that subtle difference, but again, it's so similar, that if I played those guitars with a band, and I switched between them throughout the set, you probably wouldn't be able to tell on a recording.

Archived