Electric Guitars: Rules and Discussion

The Eristic

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by geddins81

I don't think he's trying to play cop.....I think he is genuinely interested in folks getting their legimate questions answered, or having the ability to post their comments. Too many times, so snothead fires off on someone for absolutely nothin...

JJ's a good guy.

Absolutely. Say what you want about his overbearing tendencies, his inflated sense of entitlement, and general bad looks but when you have a question or need help with info that's guitar related he'll be one of the first to help.

I stuck up for you jj! :thu:

• Members

Hey Eristic, I noticed over in the acoustic forum they have a gear pic thread sticky, would be cool to have that here instead of posting the same pics every 3 weeks, that way we could just go browsing pics when were bored or whatever without having to search for past threads. Just an idea:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by geddins81

I don't think he's trying to play cop.....I think he is genuinely interested in folks getting their legimate questions answered, or having the ability to post their comments. Too many times, so snothead fires off on someone for absolutely nothin...

JJ's a good guy.

you realise that Jonbenet guy or whatever is most likely Warriorxtman or whatever, same birthday (dec 8th) on his profile, same questions about drop tunning to B, ongoing problem with JJ. Let it go already dude:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist
you realise that Jonbenet guy or whatever is most likely Warriorxtman or whatever, same birthday (dec 8th) on his profile, same questions about drop tunning to B, ongoing problem with JJ. Let it go already dude:wave:

intresting....

Jonbenet692005

Birthday December 8

Date Registered: 04-05-2005

First post: 12-14-05

Stumbled by. This place looks cool.

warriorxtman

Birthday December 8, 1964

Date Registered: 05-01-2005

Last post: 12-12-05

• Members

Same guitars, too. Nice eye.

Sad man.

//S

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

Absolutely. Say what you want about his overbearing tendencies, his inflated sense of entitlement, and general bad looks but when you have a question or need help with info that's guitar related he'll be one of the first to help.

I stuck up for you jj!
:thu:

why'd you make up that crap about me helping with guitars? the rest may be true, I'm not sure what some of the bigger words mean though

thanks Sparky :freak:

and cheers Eristic :wave:

• Moderators

Hey Eristic, I noticed over in the acoustic forum they have a gear pic thread sticky, would be cool to have that here instead of posting the same pics every 3 weeks, that way we could just go browsing pics when were bored or whatever without having to search for past threads. Just an idea:wave:

I don't know if a sticky is the right way to go, as the forum page will start feeling pretty cluttered, especially if the FAQ thread is stuck. A Lounge or Master thread, otoh, is not a bad idea.

• Members

Originally posted by The Eristic

General rules:

Electric Guitars is
ON-TOPIC ONLY
. That means any topic not related to electric guitars will be moved or deleted.

getting a little anal about it, aren't you? Sometimes people on these forums like to ask questions about other things like acoustic guitars or effects, but ask them on their primary forum because they want an opinion that's in line with their own musical culture - cultures that seems to form and congregate on specific forums.

For example, the amp forum guys will most likely ask an effects question on the amp forum because they know the answer will come from someone who also gets his primary tone from the amp and uses the effect in the same way (as opposed to an effects forum guy who plays out of a solid state modeling amp). It's an effects question, but there's no way they want to ask guys on the effects forum because the answer will be of no value.

Same with the electric guitars forum. Guys who want an opinion on acoustic guitars want to ask people whose reputations they trust and who play similar styles of music. It's well known that there are specific musical genres represented on the electric, acoustic, amp, and effects forums. That happened "naturally" and always will.

What you're attempting to do is upset a balance in nature that occurs automatically on online forums - where like-minded people congregate on the same forums together. Your rules introduce an unnatural and contrived attempt at controlling online behaviour.

Why not just stick to "control" negative and harmful postings, as opposed to productive conversations. The people that complain about off-topic postings seem to make a career of doing just that. You're always going to have people with way to much free time (do they have jobs), complaining about or trying to control other people's behaviour.

It's the office pencil monitor syndrome. A career in something that actually pays money is the cure for that. :)

• Members

General list of topics that fall within the scope of the forum:

1. Electric guitar brands, models, accessories, etc...

2. Maintenance, Repair, Modification, Construction - setup, electronic work, parts, finishing, etc...

3. Technique

4. Players

5. Amps & effects

I totally agree with on-topic posting and no trolling. But this whole thing about Skunk Baxter's doing tactical weapons consulting for the Pentagon fitting into #4 is a little confusing. ;)

• Moderators

Originally posted by gnurph

A question...

What do the many 'look what I found on Ebay' qualify as on the spam scale? I mean, threads that say stuff like 'MF has xxx on sale 50% off' is one thing, but 'look at this ugly guitar on Ebay' is just... I dunno.

If the poster is the one selling the item (or has some interest in getting it sold - selling for a friend, whatever), it qualifies as spam.

We do get a LOT of that type of thread, though. We could just about dedicate a whole forum to ridiculous crap on ebay. :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by rickenvox

getting a little anal about it, aren't you? Sometimes people on these forums like to ask questions about other things like acoustic guitars or effects, but ask them on their primary forum because they want an opinion that's in line with their own musical culture - cultures that seems to form and congregate on specific forums.

For example, the amp forum guys will most likely ask an effects question on the amp forum because they know the answer will come from someone who also gets his primary tone from the amp and uses the effect in the same way (as opposed to an effects forum guy who plays out of a solid state modeling amp). It's an effects question, but there's no way they want to ask guys on the effects forum because the answer will be of no value.

Same with the electric guitars forum. Guys who want an opinion on acoustic guitars want to ask people whose reputations they trust and who play similar styles of music. It's well known that there are specific musical genres represented on the electric, acoustic, amp, and effects forums. That happened "naturally" and always will.

What you're attempting to do is upset a balance in nature that occurs automatically on online forums - where like-minded people congregate on the same forums together. Your rules introduce an unnatural and contrived attempt at controlling online behaviour.

Why not just stick to "control" negative and harmful postings, as opposed to productive conversations. The people that complain about off-topic postings seem to make a career of doing just that. You're always going to have people with way to much free time (do they have jobs), complaining about or trying to control other people's behaviour.

It's the office pencil monitor syndrome. A career in something that actually pays money is the cure for that.
:)

I totally agree with all the above. I normally spend 90% of my time on the amp forums because most of the discussion there is of special interest to me as I've went through far more amps than guitars. Occasionally though, I've been known to throw an off-topic post about guitars, effects or other things that are TOTALLY off topic. I've always labeled my off topic posts so I could alert others that might not be interested. I think there are a lot of other things that need to be clamped down on around here, rather than a few off-topic posts that have a positive effect on the forum.

rockfish

• Members

The official word on post count:

"Post counts were accidentally updated to only count posts that were still in the system (old posts that were deleted to make space are not included in the new post counts).

While we probably can't restore the original numbers perfectly, we are looking at how to at least close to them."

Personally, I lost about 15k. Some of mine were actually helpful, too.

:^D

Gosh it's good to be a "junior member" again. Long live server maintenance! :freak:

• Members

How about more FAQ threads stickied to make things easier to find as well as keep down the number of redundant threads.

Maybe a FAQ link as the top stickie, with dedicated threads on the most common redundant themes

Some common thread themes that could be rolled into stickie threads-

Intonation questions

Strat pick up recommendations

Agile vs Gibson

What strings for my _______ ?

What kind of slide should I buy / slide technique questions.

Hi, I just started playing and...........

The search function gives a mixed bag of results. I have tried finding earlier threads (that I KNOW existed) on a number of subjects, and come up with nothing. The recent post purging made that worse, I think.

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

The search function gives a mixed bag of results. I have tried finding earlier threads (that I KNOW existed) on a number of subjects, and come up with nothing. The recent post purging made that worse, I think.

The ability to search the archives back to Genesis would be outstanding. So much old gold seems to be out of reach...:(

Archived