Gill Guitar Company (China) Does anyone own one?

ratfink23T

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Considering the Gibson crazy prices, it is wise to try some other brand guitar, I bought a supreme les paul from them, amazing voice! Hard to describe! Is the best guitar I bought recently. (of course I mean less than us $1000) you can try to bargain with them, don't trust their website price, to find their salesman, generally they can minus 20 ~ 40 dollars as long as that is on sale guitars. I bought supreme 258us including free, who else get much cheaper price?

• 11 months later...
  • Members

No doubt, there are Chinese guitar makers that make acceptable guitars, buy Gill Guitar (or "We Sell Guitars" .. as they were once known) are not it. They are just about the worse outfit to buy the guitars from. I have ordered a custom guitar from them a while back and it was delivered in absolutely ridiculous state ... and 45 days from the PayPal payment, so that I could not claim my money back. The guitar was made of plywood, with binding just painted on, hardware was an instant throw away quality etc. Prior to ordering the guitar, I did communicate my requirements to their sales guy and he confirmed everything in detail. When the gutar arrived ... and I complained, I got only one answer .. "send it back". As the cost of parcel delivery by registered carrier exceded the cost of guitar purchase ... I had to concede. So beware of this seller. I know of couple of other buyers from Kramer and Gibson forums, who had similar experiences.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'm in England. This is May 2016. In March of 2015 I contacted Gill Guitar via Made-in-China.com and agreed my specification for a Custom-built guitar.

We agreed a specification for a guitar built to my specifications.

They quoted approx 4 weeks delivery and I paid a substantial deposit.

Over the next 8 months Gill Guitars told me a series of lies.

They repeatedly left my emails unanswered.

When they did answer they repeatedly gave me extended promises for delivery.

They sent photos which showed that the guitar was NOT to my specifications.

They said a remake of the neck would take 3 weeks which extended to 5 months.

They sent photos of the body which showed HOLES which I had expressly ordered should not be made.

They sent photos of the body which had originally appeared in the correct colours but for some unexplained reason had been altered to different colours . My theory is they re-finished it to hide damage.

They wanted me to accept this but I refused and after approx 8 months I requested that they cancel the order and refund my deposit.

The refund did not appear promptly and I had to send repeated requests before they complied.

Gill Guitars lied to me.

During the time they were quoting me extended deliveries they continued to quote 4 weeks for other similar enquiries ( which they obviously could not maintain or keep).

Their Quality Control is abysmal.

Their customer service is insulting and treats customers as fools.

Their business ethics are appalling.

• Members
I'm in England. This is May 2016. In March of 2015 I contacted Gill Guitar via Made-in-China.com and agreed my specification for a Custom-built guitar.

We agreed a specification for a guitar built to my specifications.

They quoted approx 4 weeks delivery and I paid a substantial deposit.

Over the next 8 months Gill Guitars told me a series of lies.

They repeatedly left my emails unanswered.

When they did answer they repeatedly gave me extended promises for delivery.

They sent photos which showed that the guitar was NOT to my specifications.

They said a remake of the neck would take 3 weeks which extended to 5 months.

They sent photos of the body which showed HOLES which I had expressly ordered should not be made.

They sent photos of the body which had originally appeared in the correct colours but for some unexplained reason had been altered to different colours . My theory is they re-finished it to hide damage.

They wanted me to accept this but I refused and after approx 8 months I requested that they cancel the order and refund my deposit.

The refund did not appear promptly and I had to send repeated requests before they complied.

Gill Guitars lied to me.

During the time they were quoting me extended deliveries they continued to quote 4 weeks for other similar enquiries ( which they obviously could not maintain or keep).

Their Quality Control is abysmal.

Their customer service is insulting and treats customers as fools.

Their business ethics are appalling.

Seeing that site is shut down, I don't think they are in business any more so ragging on them is either a release of frustration or an act of revenge. If you got your money back that should be good enough. Allot of people get stuck in those situations and never do.

I build my own instruments so Its unlikely I'd ever contact someone else to do a build for me but if I did, I wouldn't choose a builder in China, Not because of their workmanship, its because of these reasons.

1. I don't speak their language so there's a communication barrier there right off. How can I tell them what I want if I cant talk to them?

2. Companies there have so little info on them, I'd have no way of checking to see if they are reputable. (mostly because China restricts the peoples access to the internet)

3. Third I have no legal recourse is they just took my money and walked. I don't know their legal system and even if I did I couldn't afford to follow through and sue them to get my money back.

4. If I was paying to have something built I'd choose someone that has a great reputation and the instrument would have a great resale value. I know this instrument would cost more to build, but anything worthwhile usually does.

I can probably think of a dozen other reasons but you get the point. I suggest you stick with someone in your own back yard or at least countries like the US and Canada that have strict laws against internet pirates selling false goods so you have a better chance in protecting yourself.

Archived