WAY OT: Health Care Reform

twosticks

• Members

Yeah. Get a job. At least try. I feel no remorse for the bums who have no job and don't try and get one. Most of the people that do want a job got laid off from one they had. As i said, don't include those laid off. If you haven't had a job in 2 or 3 years, that means you aren't trying.

i was talking about the kids, not the lazy {censored}s not trying to get jobs. this is the kind of attitude that continues to screw large groups of people in the name of, "this is my money, not yours."

in the meantime, tons of kids get no healthcare and the worst education. this may be cool to you, but those kids will be junkies, homeless and criminals someday soon. not just lazy jobless.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

irnbru83, when did you leave the UK? Thatcher deliberately underfunded the NHS so that people would be forced to take out private health insurance - make the health service so crap that people of means have no option but to look elsewhere. The policy was continued under Major and I myself had to wait 18 months for a knee operation in those dark days. However, there has been a huge amount of investment in recent years (since you left?) and waiting lists for
priority
procedures are right down. And no, I'm not a Labour supporter (in case you were wondering)...

I left 12 years ago and I cannot actually complain about the system. My mum was diagnosed with MS (which US doctor has just recently said was not MS at all, just something with similar symptoms, but we'll see how that turns out) before we left and she received an outrageous amount of care. It was great for her. She was a top priority case, so she got straight into hospital and there were no expenses spared. In the US, we would've been bankrupted most likely due to the nature of the medications needed.

It was not all rosey however. The NHS representative showed up at the hospital frequently to try and curb the spending. Asking the doctors, "Does she absolutely NEED this pill?" Granted, they have to monitor costs, but they came across as right heartless stingey gits.

My comment about waiting lists was for what is considered non-priority. I had a leg problem a few years ago that would not have qualified in the UK, but I paid and got it taken care of instantly here. Granted, I could've paid to have it done in Scotland, I'm sure... but it would have cost more.

There are trade-offs in any system. The best thing to do is take care of yourself. Eat right, exercise, etc. You will cut down on your medical costs exponentially.

• Members

i was talking about the kids, not the lazy {censored}s not trying to get jobs. this is the kind of attitude that continues to screw large groups of people in the name of, "this is my money, not yours."

in the meantime, tons of kids get no healthcare and the worst education. this may be cool to you, but those kids will be junkies, homeless and criminals someday soon. not just lazy jobless.

Alright. Give the kids some kind of a healthcare program and just exempt their useless parents.

• Members

fair enough. how 'bout give the kids new parents.

I would be all up for that, haha. But it really is hard for people to not be in the "this is my money, screw you!" mentality when the system is, has, and will be set up that way for a long time. You start taking away from some people to give to others, then it just makes things unbalanced and unfortunately i dont believe there is anyway to achieve balance in a system like this or any other that is currently setup in the world. No rule and no govt is the only way i could see things being "equal" for everyone, but there is really no way to regulate people from killing and hurting others, among other bad things. If only we could just make people "good" . . . .

• Members

yeah, no kiddin', rick. truth is, none here have the answers. even the powers that be. they've only figured how to stay rich, and keep us arguing. the poor just stay that way. we fight each other and are "trained" to fear the poor and the rich. pretty good system. keeps all dumb.

we should eat our babies and make scorpion-flamethrowers.

• Members

I just watched a friend of mine who is a visual artist and works like a dog to make no money at 2 jobs (that offer no insurance) break her wrist and go into debt for $30,000 after surgery. That lazy {censored} should just be deformed right?

...or how 'bout my veteran brother who has worked his ass off his whole life and at 50 years old gets no insurance as a mechanic and won't go to the doctor because it would bankrupt him if anything ever happened. Lazy {censored}.

Enjoy your prosperity, but don't be so naive to think this is about free {censored} for poor, lazy people.

• Members

Well, there are pros and cons to what you choose to do for a living. Not to sound like a prick, but if health insurance were that important to someone, they would have chosen their health over their certain career. I know my job isn't my passion, but i get paid well and have pretty good insurance for about $80 a month. If i could be a pro drummer or musician and make enough money off of it to buy health insurance and pay the bills then i would love to do that.

• Members

An estimated 16 000 US citizens die each year because they can't afford the medication/treatment to keep them alive. Surely that's reason enough to overhaul the system?

There's much that I admire about the US, but I don't think you realise how bad that statistic looks to the rest of the Western world. You're the wealthiest nation on earth, yet you're prepared to let people suffer/die like that? The attitude of, "Well, they didn't save enough or were too poor, so screw 'em" seems incongruous. It contradicts the good-natured image that Americans are known for. It also contradicts basic Christian values: and Jesus said unto the leper, "F*ck you, get a job!" I'm not religious, but such a cold attitude does seem at odds with your belief system(s). The American dream isn't achievable for all. If you could all be millionaires, your currency would devalue overnight. "Oh, so you're also a millionaire now? So, how much will it cost to get my garbage taken away?

• Members

I just watched a friend of mine who is a visual artist and works like a dog to make no money at 2 jobs (that offer no insurance) break her wrist and go into debt for $30,000 after surgery. That lazy {censored} should just be deformed right?

...or how 'bout my veteran brother who has worked his ass off his whole life and at 50 years old gets no insurance as a mechanic and won't go to the doctor because it would bankrupt him if anything ever happened. Lazy {censored}.

Enjoy your prosperity, but don't be so naive to think this is about free {censored} for poor, lazy people.

If your brother is a vet he can go to any of the number of VA hospitals and everything is paid for except for the gas to get there.

• Members

Name me one thing that the government runs "for us" that isn't {censored}ed up is some shape or form. They are politicians, NOT business/cooperate managers and have no business attempting to manage our health care system.

Boom, why do a bunch of lawyers think they have the right to manage our health care? Because apparently the public elected them. Go figure.

What would happen if say... some actual professionals were elected. Some medical doctors, some engineers, some businesspeople... a musician, or an artist? You know, maybe have a variety of people in Congress who represent the diversity of people who vote for them...

I don't understand why the same {censored}-stains keep getting elected. Does no one with any integrity run? Or are those people just voiceless in Congress?

• Members

What would happen if say... some actual professionals were elected. Some medical doctors, some engineers, some businesspeople... QUOTE]

yeah, obama tried to get that healthcare guy in(forgive my bad memory for names,) but he had that tax bull{censored} going on. i heard he was the man, as far as healthcare goes...too bad for that development, though. seems strange that he was "outed" for his tax problems when the "hooker and blow" crew in washington is running, business as usual...:facepalm:

• Members

yeah screw the poor , not like anyone has ever had anything good to say about the poor........except that one guy that most of you pray to ........but screw him to , what's he done for us lately.

jesus must have had insurance. he came back 3 days later.

• Members

People aren't nearly mad enough at Insurance companies , seems to me like that is one thing we should all be able to get behind.

i assure you, i have a great deal of animosity towards health insurance providers. wanna talk about death panels?

"we cannot provide coverage for this pre-existing condition."

pre-existing condition? wtf am i paying you assholes for?

some people very close to me (all of whom were/are paying for this oh-so-glorious insurance) have suffered greatly due to that {censored}ing racket.

it's curious ... people like to harp about how the only job the govt. has is to protect its citizens. which generally means keeping an effective military to protect us from the tur-rists. stay out of everything else! and that costs a butt{censored}load of money. and hey - all them poor people paying no taxes get the benefit of that protection too. so where're all the HARD WORKING, TAX PAYING, RED BLOODED AMERICANS bitching about that damned protection for all the poor people? i guess that's ok.

oh, right ... guns and hummers and stealth bombers are a lot cooler than making sure the population isn't comprised of 60+% of disgusting, fat slobs dying of heart disease and diabetes and cancer.

i feel a lot better about MY tax dollars saving someone's loved one than blowing up brown people on the other side of the world for some reason or another.

call me an old softy.

• Members

aenemated, don't you see that if we didn't kill people overseas, it wouldn't matter that we were dying here from lack of healthcare? those "brown people" would flood over our borders and take all we have. THEN, those fat people would just waddle around, and cry about not having the guns to protect themselves. (oh, wait, they do that now. nevermind.)

• Members

I'm not surprised that the President is backing down from his campaign promises of providing heath care for the uninsured,I mean come on we all know who runs our great nation. For such a powerful nation as the US is,we simple have to many uninsured citizens and for those who do have coverage,we need laws to be protected from the insurance scum bags,who at liberty can jerk your policy benefits just so they don't have to pay out a penny.

When you look at the overall wastefulness of our Government in purchasing,etc,there's no reason for any US citizen to be uninsured.

• Members

Saudi Arabia has free health care, where does the royal family go for treatment?

America. I know, I worked on them. And they have ALL the money they need to go ANYWHERE they choose.

Canadians have free health care, where do they go when they need good health care? you guessed it, America. Why? cause when it comes right down to it, we do a better job and they know it. I have multiple references on the subject, I worked with a hands/plastic surgeon from Canada who picked up shop and came here. My father in law is Canadian with cancer. where do you think he went for treatment?

France, wow, what can we say about France... We have {censored} fits when our unemployment rate hits their norm.

We already have a Government health care system here, its called the V.A. wonderful place, you should visit. As a matter of fact, maybe we should ALL go there for some enlightenment.

Lets see now, what happens when we let the all knowing government runs things.

What {censored}in rubbish.

So rich people in canada can afford to jump the line by going to the US. That doesn't mean {censored}. I've never heard a canadian anywhere (aside from the scummy conservatives who would like to sell out their system) who would trade canadian health care for US. Oh and you want to throw out examples? What about the thousands Americans who get there prescriptions by doing border runs or mail order. Or all the poor americans who sneak into canada and get a phony care card to get medical service because they can't afford it at home. They out number the trickle of rich canadians who seek service in the US tenfold. Not to mention the fact that canadians won't even travel to the US without taking out a heap of temporary travel insurance for fear of ending up in a US hospital.

You're comment about france has nothing to do with anything. Don't know why you even posted it aside from trying to associate them with something negative in your post.

Fact is the rest of the world with universal health care {censored}in laughs at the US and it's backward system...If they give it any thought at all. Do you think this debate exists anywhere else? You think all these countries are clamoring for a US style system?...LOL...please. Now you can say "well {censored} them and what they think." and start chanting "USA, USA" but in the end NOBODY cares. If Americans want to continue on and on under a "rich people first" system then fine.

But please spare me the {censored} about not being able to afford it. The richest country in the world by an outrageous amount....who spends billions a month just bombing the {censored} out of people can't afford heath care? Try again. America could afford health care for the entire world.

I live in a country with universal health care. I pay 400 bucks a year in premiums. I recently needed surgery and some regular treatment. 5 days in the hospital and my own private room. Didn't pay a dime. And I've met many americans who before coming here were totally anti UHC and now can't imagine what the {censored} they were thinking. Fact is the average american's opinions on UHC outside of america are utterly worthless because the average american has had ZERO experience with such a system.

Archived