Begginer Questions

AiL45

• Members

cool deal on the set, heads will make a huge difference.

my kit came with remos on it ,prob 20 years old.

i put evans g2 clears on top,evans g1 clears on bottom and topped it off with evans eq4 on the bass,batter and resonant,man my kit sounds kick ass now.

and yes this forum rocks with good dudes and priceless info.

get some pics up when you get it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thx for the links lol very helpful plus was the guy was pretty funny.

also thx for all he help so far guys.

picked it up today, and just set up. taking a lunch break atm lol tired from 3 hours of driving then moving everything back and forth and rearranging the room so everything could fit.

def need to change the heads since they seem to be very old and used a lot, and havnt tried tuning or etc yet but so far everything sounds very nice imo, im very happy w/ my purchase. also it brought a gibraltar throne so that saved me money as well.

well enough talking, heres the pics

IMG_0246.jpg

DSCN0715.jpg

DSCN0714.jpg

DSCN0717.jpg

• Members

well havnt really played them yet when i took the pic, so its been adjusted since then. the top toms are lower and less angled. plus the cymbals and floor tom got moved closer since it was more comfortable like that.

and since 2 of my friends were over we took turns just randomly trying to jam w/ each other. 1 guitar, 1 drums the other rests. mind you 2 of us are guitarist and the other is a bassist, they did try out the drums w/ ex bandmate's but yea we sucked on drums lol

but either way was fun as {censored} experience as the 1st time for me playing and i started getting used to pretty easy patterns and {censored}ty fills by the end of the like 6 hours, plus since we played on various tempos so that helped out as well. but god damn it was sloppy,failed of accents, need to work on being loose and work on my posture.

but overall it was awesome def gonna continuing playing. and i see myself maybe liking it more than guitar

and i got lazy and didnt want to attempt to tune today. but overall for the beatdown stock heads and entry level cymbals the kit sounded really nice. we all did hate how explosive sounding the bass drum was though.

so one of them "accidentally" drops one of the drum sticks in the bass drum so i would have to open it up and that way i could put a pillow in.

after i did that and did some rough tuning trying to follow the way the dude in the video explained it sounded awesome. i love how much attack and low that bass sounds now.

but yea im prob going to get silencing pads and a practice pad on monday. and top head def going to be the 1st upgrade.

• Members

Cool Beans Ail! Have fun and keep working with it! It will get easier in time. Very nice first time set, reminds me of when I got my first set home and playing. Another drummer is born! Also remember can always come back and ask us more questions and TELL us about your drums!

The only thing I can say about the setup from the pics is spread out the feet of the cymbals stands more. It will keep the cymbals from wobbling back and forth and the more stable the stand, the more response you can get from the cymbals. Also don't have to have that much gap between the hats, 1/4-1/2 inch is all you need, can also adjust the the tilt screw on the bottom of the hats and tilt it (very slightly) toward you and get more of a different sound. Awesome deal man! Thanks for the pics! :thu:

• Members

lol thx and yea i still plan on asking questions since i still have much to learn.

like for example didnt know about tilting the hi hats or how high they needed to be. so it should be tilted to be like 1/2 in on side, the other at 1/4? also ill adjust the crash and ride tomorrow as well then.

plus forgot to mention, it also brought the hardware to add a splash to one of the boom stands.

n i need moar cowbell.

• Members

i got a question about the bass pedal.

1st heres a pic of mine.

DSCN0727.jpg

u see how its this little rubber thing on both sides that controls the rebound im guessing?

well seems like once the rubber starts geting used a lot and old it gets a lot softer causing it to rebound more? cuz the right foot rebounds a lot more than the left.

well question i want to know is that an older design cuz of that? because all the new pedals i see have chains and springs and seems like that would control it a lot more.

reason why im asking is cuz since it rebounds so much and im enjoying playing heel up, the plastic part of the stick tends to hit my shin a decent amount and is pretty annoying.

so is there a way to put a spring on there, if not ill prob be changing the pedal 1st.

also heres an updated pic on how everything is positioned. is this better like this or any more advice?

DSCN0725.jpg

DSCN0724.jpg

• Members

lol thx and yea i still plan on asking questions since i still have much to learn.

like for example didnt know about tilting the hi hats or how high they needed to be. so it should be tilted to be like 1/2 in on side, the other at 1/4? also ill adjust the crash and ride tomorrow as well then.

plus forgot to mention, it also brought the hardware to add a splash to one of the boom stands.

n i need moar cowbell.

Well, the tilt can be whatever you wish, the tilt screw I'm talking about will be UNDER the bottom hat cymbal on the high hat stand. Basically most drummers might have it where the bottom hat cymbal is just a TAD off canter, or slightly unlevel. This is to keep the the hat cymbals from air locking. When you have the top hat directly on top of the bottom hat cymbal it can produce a tiny air lock and make it harder to get the hats to sound better. Is not really a big thing but more a smaller thing.

I was talking more about the gap between the top and bottom hat cymbal. Most drummers (but not all) have a rangeof a 1/4 inch to a 1/2 gap between high hat cymbals. You basically want it to where just the weight of your hat foot (with a tad more pressure) keeps the cymbals closed. When you have a big gap between hat cymbals, you're having to put more pressure with your foot to keep them closed and it's harder to be musical with them.

Also learn to play the hats with hard, medium and light foot pressure. Hard foot pressure while playing will cause a *tink tink* sound from the sticks, Like the high hat solo in the middle of "My woman from Tokoyo", Medium foot pressure will cause a more "tish tish" sound from the hats like "You Make Loving Fun" by Fleetwood Mac. Light pedal Pressure (hats just touching each other) will give you more of that "sloshy" hats sound Like some Creed or Zep songs has.

The set up and angles are up to you. Now is the time to watch on line lessons and watch other drummers for ideas and try them out but use what works for you. As far as the bass pedal, I think that's more of a direct drive, meaning the springs are internal and is no outside spring.

Look up that pedal online and try to find an owners manual or diagraham that shows where the the tension set screw is on that pedal. Or beater adjustment screw. You might find that you don't need to take your whole foot inches off the pedal on each beat. You may find a way of keeping the "balls" of your feet (the bottom of your foot where your toes start) on the pedal as you lift up and just your heel and foot go up and down. Again to where you keep slight pressure on the beater so that it doesn't recoil back each time and hit you in the shin. Rock your foot to hit the head and don't raise your leg each time so the beater doesn't go so far back.

You may find that when you limit the recoil or tension so that it doesn't swing back as far, you won't like the response as it may turn it into where it's like a car with no brakes that go all the way to floor and has no response or rebound. Hope this helps, Good Luck, Look at training videos, vids by members from here and keep playing and trying out new stuff to find out what works for you! Good Luck! ;)

• Members

Also DO NOT play the "edge" of your sticks against the "edges" of the hat cymbals! THis causes "Gnawing" up your sticks and can cause stress on the cymbals. THe screw about mid way down the "tube" of your high hat stand will allow you to raise and lower the height of high hat assembly.

You want to play "atop" the outer edge of the top hat comfortably. Within arms reach without having it being an unnatural feeling. Again, this is where at least online lessons up to at least one or two lessons with a real live drum teacher can be important. This is where if you don't have a clue and start developing bad habits it can start your hands, wrist, feet and legs hurting.

Again drumming is like driving in that having a few pointers at the start is crucial and then how you develop it is up to you. Also keep playing, practicing, visiting drum stores and see what's up. Hope this helps.

• Members

i lowered the hit hats and tilted it like you said, i liked it like that more. its not that noticiable on the pics though.

i actually did try out different foot pressure settings on the hi hat on my own. i found myself liking it on light cuz of the sound when the hats open up. but ill practice the other settings more as well.

i was wondering why the sticks were getting chewed up. i thought i might of been tapping the hats wrong, now i know i am and need to work on that so i dont build that habit, thanks for letting me know.

i might look into lessons around here, just need to find out a decent place and how much they cost. i know they offer at the college i go to but the lessons are really expensive, at least imo. and so far been looking at online lessons and seem it be doing ok at the beginner lessons.

except for this one, i cant get my legs to alternate unless i make them go at 8th notes like the snare. really need to work on getting that independence

drum-set-warmups-1.gif

• Members

Nice start. I got here late, but you seem to have purchased pretty widely. I'd echo the guys suggesting 2-ply over 1 ply heads for your first replacement, I like Coated Emperors over Ambassadors on toms, Coated Ambassador over Hazy Ambassador on the snare, and Powestroke 3's on the bass.

Get the Jojo Mayer DVD if you can't find an instructor. It's excellent, and starts from zero.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

bump.

been busy so havnt praticed as much as i would like, but have seen progress.

the jojo mayer vid was really helpful to learning, and started practicing simple regiments i found online.

i really need to pickup a metronome and a practice pad asap.

a friend of mine thats been playing for years just got back from chicago so gonna see if i could get him to teach me.

but yea reason for bump is cuz my bday soon, so prob was gonna get myself new batter heads.

was thinking of getting this

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Remo-Black-Suede-Emperor-Standard-ProPack-with-Free-Emperor-X?sku=620714

went 2 g/c the other day and saw them there and sound nice imo.

just the kit there wasnt with the emperor-x, which i hear very diff opinions on them cuz of them being so thick... but since im still learning was thinking could be a good to get them to take any abuse i might do. plus once i feel comfortable and if i dont like the tone ill just replace the snare head since not that expensive.

as for bass batter was gonna get the powerstroke 3 like u guys recommended.

dont think im getting reso heads for now since still have guitar purchases i want to make and keep putting off, but was thinking of getting later on reso clear ambassadors for the snare and toms, and a black powerstroke 3 reso for the bass.

oh and my local g/c {censored}ing fails for cymbals from what i saw, very small selection of models and etc. is there like a website to find sound samples? cuz only thing i know is youtube, but the compression prob kills it?

Archived