Begginer Questions

AiL45

• Members

Hey wazup everyone, always wanted to learn and play drums but I keep spending my money on guitar. So yea finally want to finance a setup from musiciansfriend but not really sure if I'm forgetting anything or if I should look at something else instead?

Wanted to get this kit in red

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sound-Percussion-Pro-8piece-Double-Bass-Drum-Set-with-Black-Lugs?sku=484089

these cymbals

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Zildjian-ZBT-4-Rock-Cymbal-Pack-with-Free-18-Rock-Crash?sku=502014

this throne

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/RocNSoc-Nitro-Throne?sku=442612

these sticks in Nylon A

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vic-Firth-American-Classic-Extreme-Drumsticks?sku=443922

def need a cowbell lol

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rhythm-Tech-Drum-Kit-Pack?sku=446463

and this practice pad

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vic-Firth-Double-Sided-Practice-Pad?sku=447606

lmk what u guys think? also if im missing anything? thanks

edit: no longer gettign anything close to this

still getting info n etc in the thread.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey wazup everyone, always wanted to learn and play drums but I keep spending my money on guitar. So yea finally want to finance a setup from musiciansfriend but not really sure if I'm forgetting anything or if I should look at something else instead?

Honest opinion. You do not need a double bass kit to start on.I'm sure you could get a smaller and BETTER kit for the same or less money.

• Members

My friend, those are crappy drums and truly crappy cymbals.

Nearly everyone on this board will suggest you take the same money and cruise ebay and craigslist (or the spam sub-forum here) and get quality instruments instead.

The reasons are many, but include:

1. You'll want better, soon, if you keep at the drum thing.

2. You'll have no resale value to speak of when 1. happens.

A case could be made that by replacing all the heads (even crappier than the drums) and learning how to tune really well you could make the drums sound decent.

Now go price out a set of good heads (batters and resos) for an 8-piece kit. Bass drum heads will set you back $200 all by themselves. Your $500 kit just became a $900 kit.

Meanwhile, you can't improve the cymbals, ever. They are what they are.

I recommend you make a new post--one that says, "I have X amount to spend, what would you look for in used drums?" Say what kind of music you want to play and what kind of sound you're looking for. Budget for new heads unless the drums you buy miraculously have good newish heads on them.

Cymbals, get a good ride and good hats used. Buy one cymbal at a time if you have to but stay with pro ranges. You'd be well served by going to a drum shop and whacking on a bunch of cymbals to get an idea of what good ones sound like. Add crashes as you have the money.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend you start with double bass. Learn to play the hats, then maybe spring for a double pedal down the road. It's a {censored}load easier to pack a bass drum and a double pedal in a car than two bass drums.

Good luck, and ask away. The guys here are way knowledgable about getting good drums for short money.

• Members

Honest opinion. You do not need a double bass kit to start on.I'm sure you could get a smaller and BETTER kit for the same or less money.

yea thats what i want, honest opinions, so its all good.

reason i went w/ a 8pc kit is cuz I'm certain im gonna want one later on so rather buy it now since im financing it.

and i know a big kit in the beginning is overkill, but i believe that if i would learn w/ a smaller kit i would feel weird about using the other pads n etc later on cuz not used to it so rather get used to the options of having a bigger kit from the beginning, if that makes sense?

as for the quality of the kit, only thing i read bad about it are the heads kinda suck, but u can just upgrade that later on correct?

what would be considered better quality?

and other than the kit, what are your opinions about the cymbals n etc?

edit: just missed 2nd reply gonna read that now

• Members

Good choices on everything except the kit, and maybe the throne... (save the $50 and get the non-hydraulic Roc-n-Soc, it's still a great throne and will hold up longer).

As far as the kit goes, I'd say get something used and smaller to learn on. Those pieces of {censored} won't last long, and you'll be dissapointed later on when they do start to fall apart. Times are tough right now, and you'll find better deals when working with a person looking to unload a kit rather than a retailer trying to make a buck.

Just my opinion.

• Members

awesome, thats for the advice guys.

i wouldnt mind buying a used kit. prob is, i dont have the cash atm so was gonna finance it because if i dont im gonna keep spending my money on more guitar gear and ill never end up getting one. plus miami fails hard in the music scene so i dont i would find anything decent on craigslist n etc anyways.

as of right now i really dont plan on gigging with it, just as an extra hobby to do. so in total the most i wouldnt want to go past $1500? but $1000 would be a lot more ideal. whats a good setup for around that price?

my choices in music varies a lot but prob would love to cover zeppelin, pantera, maiden, and some jazz?

• Members

IMO-

The kit ya picked sucks the HUGE one. Go used, single bass, double pedal. If ya want double bass later, then go for it.

The cymbals suck the HUGE one also. Buy fewer, better quality. You'd be WAY better off with a nice ride, crash and a set of hats that cost ya what those crappy drums would cost ya. I'd say go used here too, but cymbals are a little different as what sounds good to me, may sound like {censored} to you.

the throne is nice, but you could spend $50.00 less like skiAz4Free said.

The rest, whatever really. I bought the same cowbell/tambourine set-up a couple years back. It's OK. I use the cowbell, not the tambourine though. But that's just me.

Hell man, spend the $499.00 on a intermediate 3/4 piece new shell kit. You'll be happier I'm telling ya.

• Members

Look here...:

http://mapexsuperstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=268

http://mapexsuperstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=243

with hardware and free shipping...just need cymbals...

This one will light you up as well...

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MAP-MR5255-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

Other brands to look at are PDP, Gretsch, Yamaha etc...they all would be better than what you picked...JMO

• Members

ahh kk thx 4 the comparison, didnt realize they were THAT {censored}ty lol

i understand separate usually give better results. prob is im pretty much clueless, i have no idea what hardware to get, cymbal sizes n etc to get those things separate?

hows this one from Gretsch?

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Drums-Blackhawk-5piece-Fusion-Drum-Set-with-20-Bass-Drum?sku=483269

btw thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it

• Members

The Gretsch will be slightly better, and the pies will be about the same. See if they'll finance you on a used kit from a store.

And think about how you're spending your money... this kit is only $200 more, has an add-on 16" floor tom, and is 1 gazillion times better than either of the kits you're looking at.

Catalina-Maple-Fusion-Shell-Pack-with-Free-16-Floor-Tom

Double pedal for a hundy: Pacific-Drums-by-DW-DP402-Double-Bass-Drum-Pedal

Stands can be found for cheap, if you work with a salesman they can piece things together for you or try and come up with a package deal. Just tell them that you have a fixed budget, you need a complete setup, and you plan on spending a lot of money with them. You'll be surprised at what kinds of deals you'll get that you otherwise wouldn't have even been offered... knock $10 off this, $15 off that, 10% nice guy discount, etc. that {censored} adds up.

Skip the non-essentials (tamborine/cowbell combo) for now, just get the basics, and then start looking for things to add on. Drums are great like that, you can always find another "thing" to add to your kit.

Take your time with this, and keep asking the ?'s

• Members

actually yea i wouldnt mind getting that kit. thanks for showing me it.

im still confused about the hardware though, what exactly do i need to buy? just the stands for the high hat and cymbals? or as well all the legs to hold up the bass drum and toms?

good idea i'll most prob call before i place the order to see how much i can get discounted.

but as u said taking my time w/ this so dont want to jump and start ordering, rather find out as much as i can 1st.

also do i need stuff for tuning or something?

• Members

ok so hows this for an updated list?

Drum Set

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Drums-Catalina-Maple-Fusion-Shell-Pack-with-Free-16-Floor-Tom?sku=483246

Cymbals

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Zildjian-ZHT-Rock-4-Cymbal-Pack?sku=445491

Hardware

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Zildjian-ZHT-Rock-4-Cymbal-Pack?sku=445491

in total w/ the practice pad and sticks i said, goes a little over the $1500 limit, but seems worth it?

and then later on ill just get a better throne and a double bass pedal.

• Members

In this list, there's a 5-piece (kick, snare, 2 toms, & floor tom) Yamaha Stage Custom in black for $479 at your local Guitar Center on Kendall Dr.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=3&location=771&sort=catName&dir=asc

you would then need cymbals and stands, and I'd bet they'd have all that stuff there. Go down and talk to the drum dept and see what they can offer you.

There's also a Sam Ash at the "Dolphin Mall". Can't tell what used gear they have, but I know I've gotten good deals from other Sam Ash's.

• Members

ok so hows this for an updated list?

Drum Set

Cymbals

Hardware

in total w/ the practice pad and sticks i said, goes a little over the $1500 limit, but seems worth it?

and then later on ill just get a better throne and a double bass pedal.

You've linked the pies again for your hardware.

I think that a cymbal pack is a good idea for a beginner, but just know that if you stick with drumming, you will want to upgrade, and no there isn't much value in re-sale, but when you do go to upgrade, bring 'em in with the original box and bags they came in, keep 'em lookin real shiney, and you'd have a nice downpayment for something else.

You will LOVE those drums... maybe a little more than a beginner needs, but I say go for it. That's the kind of first kit you'd never want to get rid of. (I have the Birch line of those, by the way... GREAT drums!)

• Members

From one newb to another I went with a new kit from jump street because I was impatient although I bought a decent kit I could have bought a world of used gear for the $1100 of my original investment. NOW LISTEN VERY CLOSELY OK! LURK ON CRAIGSLIST LIKE YOUR CHASING AFTER YOUR FIRST PIECE OF {censored}! And drop $200-$300 on a decent 3 or 4 piece setup!, and spend the rest on some decent cymbals.:thu:

• Members

In this list, there's a 5-piece (kick, snare, 2 toms, & floor tom) Yamaha Stage Custom in black for $479 at your local Guitar Center on Kendall Dr.

you would then need cymbals and stands, and I'd bet they'd have all that stuff there. Go down and talk to the drum dept and see what they can offer you.

There's also a Sam Ash at the "Dolphin Mall". Can't tell what used gear they have, but I know I've gotten good deals from other Sam Ash's.

oh nice lol i actually never noticed u can search their used inventory online.

thx 2 ur link though i saw they have the same yamaha kit in the guitar center about 20miles north for only $300. just need to call to ask about the condition, i think would be worth the extra drive.

as for the cymbols like i said not sure what model would be considered decent and not insanely expensive? can u give me a link on what types i should be looking at?

• Members

what are some good brand to look into? as for the throne, are u talking about this one?

its only $13 less, not $50.

Not reading all the responses. Trying to catch up. And BTW, like Fitch said, welcome to drumming.

How about this throne? Unless you're dead set on a bicycle seat style:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-Softy-Throne?sku=490797

As far as the Gretsch, I'm not sure. But, like Carmine said, the Mapex are sweet kits. They discontinued the Pro-M's, (which I think was a mistake) but these seem like they'd be a great deal:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mapex-Pro-M-Crossover-22-Shell-Pack-with-Free-Black-Panther-Snare-Drum?sku=483370

Plus, you get a Black Panther snare.

As far as cymbals man, you need to take what ever cash you have left after the kit, throne, pad and sticks, go to a GC or Sam Ash and go in and hit a bunch. Spend two or three hours. Find what you want and can afford.

• Members

think it would be better getting the yamaha kit used if they still have it in stock and good condition?

or better to pay the extra money for the mapex kit you pointed out?

as for the cymbals, no matter how i look at it, to get within my price range and cutting everything else cheap those zildjian pros seem to be the best i could get.

i might be able to get some A's but then ill be getting dirt cheap hardware and throne so they prob are {censored} and break easily? and dont think it would be worth it.

thanks for all the help yet again guys.

• Members

If ya can get the Yammies, and I don't know what kit your talking about, sure. Yamaha makes some great drums. I own a Mapex Saturn Kit, so I'm partial to the Mapex.

As far as the throne and hardware, again, if you can figure out a way to buy used, you can get some great deals.

My best suggestion that I can give you is just because you've decided to finally buy some drums, doesn't mean that it has to be a race to get them. Taking your time will really pay off in the long run.

• Members

I was checking out the Guitar Center link for your area. There are some real good drums. The 5 pc Yamaha Stage Customs for $299 is a very good kit. If it comes with hardware, all the better. Other good kits would be the 4 pc Sonor Force 2001 (birch I believe), the 4pc Premier Cabria (maple I believe)for $500 is nice, the 5pc Pacific CX for $450 is a good deal, the 5pc Tama Swingstar for $300 is okay (entry level though), the 4pc Pearl Export for $450 is decent too.

So, for $500 and under, you can get good drums, way better than the crappy ones you first intended to buy.

As for cymbals, all Sabians are good except the B8's. For Zildjian, the're all good except anything that starts with a 'Z' (like zbt's, zxt's etc).

Good luck, there are lots of good buys in your part of the world.

Archived