Begginer Questions

AiL45

• Members

My best suggestion that I can give you is just because you've decided to finally buy some drums, doesn't mean that it has to be a race to get them. Taking your time will really pay off in the long run.

+1 If you need to space out the purchases, space them out. Get some hats. Then a ride. Then a crash. You're not saving money by buying cheap-ass cymbals in the long run because you'll end up replacing them before a year is up. Buy once.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hey there ail,there really Are good deals on cl, i got this for 700 and it came with hardware,i replaced the heads and couldnt be happier.

0221091724.jpg

even though the cymbals came with it they are not high end so now i am upgrading piece by piece.

i hate financing anything as you end up paying more than it's worth,at least with my fico.

my advice is dont blow your load until youre sure youre going to stick with it.

from 1 guitar player to another,drums are a whole different animal.

fanny pack optional,lol !

• Members

This is where the community of drummers shines. :) We won't let you make a bad decision.

Okay, if you can get the used Yamahas, DO IT! Once you get good heads on them and learn tuning, you can make them sound great. Check out the Griffon link in my signature - I recorded everything there on a Yamaha Stage Custom kit - check out "House of Cards" to really be able to hear the toms.

Always inquire as to what hardware is included when you get a kit. If the floor tom has "legs" (Like in that Gretch link), they stand on their own. If it's "suspended," then you need a stand. Most toms will mount into a hole on the bass drum, but not always. You'll likely need to buy a snare stand.

A straight cymbal stand should work for your crash cymbal, and I'd recommend the extra few bucks to get a "boom stand" for your ride so you can position it easier. Pacific (PDP) makes great low-price hardware, especially the hi-hat stands.

Good questions so far, man, and we're all glad to see you putting thought into this!

• Members

okay thx 4 the additional info guys,

i guess thats true, since im learning dont really need all the cymbals atm so better to get good quality hats than just get a {censored}ty set.

and i know what u mean to go check a bunch out before i chose cymbals. but the reason im asking is just to get an idea of prices the usual good cymbals cost. I will go check it out before i actually purchase.

and thx for the info about the toms and the hardware brand.

im at class atm so cant check out the link, but will do when i get out.

and yea i know its not a race to get them. just i actually did take my time before considering finally getting a set. I actually wanted to learn drums originally before i ever bought a guitar. just never had the money for it till recently so finally getting impatient lol.

oh and satman, the finance is actually gonna be with the gc or mf card, with that i got a whole year to pay it off w/o having to pay interest. if i had to pay interest from the start i would of not done it like that and tried to save up instead (which would never work out cuz i end up spending the money on other things).

• Members

Yeah, I've been making my recommendations based on you not being able to shell out cash up front for something. If you can, it really is the best way to go, but it will take longer. Did you find out if you can get financed on the used gear at GC and MF? That's gonna be important.

• Members

Yeah, I've been making my recommendations based on you not being able to shell out cash up front for something. If you can, it really is the best way to go, but it will take longer. Did you find out if you can get financed on the used gear at GC and MF? That's gonna be important.

yup was gonna call later today to make sure they even have it and see its condition.

if everything is all good, i might actually just go pick it up this weekend, i have almost enough cash for the yamaha and im pretty sure i can get a friend to spot me the little i need, so that way ill have it b4 they end up selling it and losing the deal.

anything i need to look out for to see if its worth buying or not? like "if ___ is {censored}ed up, dont waste ur time" n etc

• Members

so can someone lmk what i should ask to see if the condition of the drums are worth buying or not?

and if that doesnt work out hows this used kit?

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mapex-Pro-M-Classic-Drum-Set-Ruby-Red-Pearl-Scratch-n-Dent?sku=502303

normally is $900 + hardware, so since it includes hardware it would save me a lot of money and im guessing the kit is prob better than the others posted so far? just less amount of toms though. plus i really like how it looks.

and still not sure what im looking for.

what makes kit A better than kit B? depth of the toms and snare? the heads they bring? the material used for the shell? size of bass drum?

• Members

That's not a bad deal, as long as it's not all nicked up. With all the HW, your pretty good to go. That A750 pedal is just a single, but I still think that's all you need now anyway. And, remember what I said last night, this ain't no race Bro. But that is a pretty kit. And I know it would sound tits. Very warm. 22"x20" is a pretty deep kick. Mine are 24"x20", so I know the depth. But, I bet the 22" is an easier tune than my 24"s are.

Man, you are just hell bent on buying aren't ya!:lol:

marko:thu:

• Members

That Mapex kit is a very nice, good quality, high-end intermediate/nearly pro set. Good choice (it's Maple... right on!). As for cymbals, go used. One of my favorite things to do is treasure hunting on Craigslist or other similar sites. You'll easily score cymbals for half the cost of new.

• Members

actually decided to do a quick search on craigslist and found something worth considering i think.

now i know this is not even close to the quality of the other things that has been posted, but you guys said Pacific are decent for a cheap brand correct?

so for the price do you think i should pick this up, and ill learn on that for now since it brings everything?

and doing that i can def save up to pick up a better setup and i can increase the amount i was planning on spending. also im pretty sure whenever i upgrade i can sell it back on craigslist for half at least?

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/msg/1344886569.html

• Members

The PDP's are nice and if you are just starting out you'll be fine with those. That's probably an entry level kit or older set (by the look of the lugs) made out of Phillipine Mahogany (same as hollow core doors), a cheaper wood (If they are birch or maple then buy them right away). $300 with hardware is ok but offer less, maybe you'll get them for $250. The Yamaha Stage Customs are better drums IMO. That guy wants to upgrade as you will too if ya stick with drumming so keep that in mind.

check out this link: http://www.georgesdrumshop.com/guide.asp

• Members

That's not a bad price, but it's not that great of a kit. Pass on it. The Mapex is a nice kit, great quality in the hardware side, and they do sound quite tasty. You'd only be getting the 4-piece (comes with the 13"x6" Black Panther snare) but you'd also be getting some nice stands... there's a lot of value in the stuff that keeps your parts standing straight. They take the brunt of the abuse.

Keep looking!!!

Things to ask on condition would be bearing edges (no nicks, cracks, or dents... IMPORTANT!), shell conditions (being "in-round" meaning no ovals, no cracks, if it's wrapped is the wrap splitting at the seam?), hardware conditions (no rust, pitts, flaking of chrome, etc. and do all the screws & lugs turn without use of vice-grips and break-free)

As far as A being better then B, it's a matter of the above items first and foremost, then on your own personal preference. Small shallow toms = higher pitches and a little less volume. Bigger, deeper toms are lower pitch and carry further. The "norms" nowadays are either the "Rock" config: 12", 13", 16" (toms) or the "Fusion" config: 10", 12", 14"

Remember that a 5-piece kit can always be used as a 4-piece. I have a 7-piece kit, that I have never once played with all 7 pieces at the same time. I can do a multitude of combinations, 4pc with 10" & 14" or 12" & 14", or 12" & 16", or a 5pc: 10", 12", 14" or 12", 14", 16" (1 up, 2 down... 1 rack tom, 2 floor toms), etc.

I'm always a big fan of getting more for your money. That Mapex you found is more on the quality vs. quantity side, but damn those virgin kicks are tits!

Are you overwhelmed yet?

• Members

well sent an email to the guy, and got a responce already.

said the hardware is also PDP, and the shells are Poplar? also claims everything is pretty much mint and have been in a smoke/contaminant/heat free environment.

so if i can bring down the price would it still be worth passing?

like i said, if i do end up picking these up, my pocket wont take a big hit and i'll flip it for at least half when the time comes and ill be more than happy w/ that. n i can save up while learning so when im ready to upgrade i can understand everything a lot easier and will be willing to spend more on the setup than i am now.

plus right now i have prob a {censored}ty ear for what sounds good or not, so ill be building a ear while learning and i can figure out for myself what sounds good or not when visiting guitar center or etc. (at least that how it was for guitar.)

cuz yea im kinda still a little overwhelmed haha drums are so much more complicated than guitar from what i can tell haha but im slowly learning

and yes i know it sounds like im convincing myself to buy them, but i wont if its really not worth it.

• Members

Poplar is better than Phillipine Mahogany. I'm almost certain Pearl Exports are Poplar. So those PDP's are prob comparable to Exports which tons of guys began with and still play. Yeah, get the PDP's...decent score. If you need to upgrade in the future, the PDP's would make a great practice/gig kit.

• Members

well we actually agreed on $200 the lowest w/o the silence pads. which i think is def worth it.

what you guys think? and should i offer a little more to get the pads as well?

Bring him 2 crisp Benjamins and a half rack of cold beer... I bet you'll come out with those practice pads. If not, use t-shirts or towels and keep the beer.

• Members

Bring him 2 crisp Benjamins and a half rack of cold beer... I bet you'll come out with those practice pads. If not, use t-shirts or towels and keep the beer.

lol well found out he really didnt want to sell the pads in the 1st place cuz he has a 8 month kid at home, was just offering at original price to help sell the drums. w.e thats fine w/ me.

should be getting it sometime this weekend hopefully.

so yea back to the questions...

i guess i can start getting an idea of what sizes i prob would like?

really like Vinnie Paul's drumming

also Danny Carey's in AEnema

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJp2fTTvIig

Nicko MCBrain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y80XM_k-0u4

The drums in Dissident Aggressor is dope as well, think the drummer was only for that cd though.

def John Bonham

meh this list can go on for a while... lol

• Members

oh i think i meant i should prob look into similar setups to some of the drummers i like correct?

since the depth of the toms and etc like you said makes it sound a certain way.

a few examples:

according to wiki (not a good source but only one i know to get this info)

bonham used

# Drums - Ludwig Green Sparkle

* 14x10" Tom (mounted on snare stand)

* 16x16" Floor Tom

* 18x16" Floor Tom

* 26x14" Bass Drum

* 14x6.5" Ludwig Chrome Supraphonic 402 Snare

* 29" Machine Timpani (1972+)

* 29" 32" Universal Timpani (1972+)

* Ludwig Speed King Bass pedal

and remo heads

vinnie paul used

* 24x24 bass drum x 2

* 14x14 tom

* 15x15 tom

* 18x16 floor tom

* 14x8 Vinnie Paul Signature snare drum (discontinued)

nicko mcbrain uses

* 6x6" Tom

* 8x8" Tom

* 10x10" Tom

* 12x12" Tom

* 13x13" Tom

* 14x14" Tom

* 15x15" Tom

* 16x16" Tom

* 18x16" Floor Tom

* 24x18" Gen-X Bass Drum

* 14x6.5" Ludwig LM402 Snare Drum

remo heads as well

is that a good way to get an idea of what sizes i would want?

like i should prob look to get a 24" bass drum, 18x16 floor tom, have remo heads, etc

• Members

I think you should stick with the PDP's and learn how to play those before you need to worry about the sizes. It's not going to make a difference at this stage, so be patient and see where it takes you.

yea i know, thats the reason im going to buy the pdp's.

im just still trying to understand how/why you guys know which drums sets are good or not just by seeing what they bring and features?

or maybe u guys actually have heard so many different sets that u know pretty much how they sound lol

Archived