What are your favorite hats.

TamaDrummer0

• Members

Marko .. talk to me about your Nemesis hats. I just got a 10" Splash and 16" Thin Crash in the Nemesis line which I like very much.To the OP, I'm currently using and liking my 14" Sabian AA Regular Hats.

The Nemisis line is a heavier line. Not sure about the gram weight though. I can tell you as far as the 21" ride I also have, I can barely hold on to it picking up out of my cymbal bag.

I dig the deeper, bolder chick, but it's not subdued or choked with its/their weight. My hats cut extremly well with a great sizzle. Wide open, the top has a nice but bold ring, but limited wash, which I like. They actually preform better as a pair then stand alone, as it should be. Honestly, for "stumbling" onto them, I'm extremely pleased and use them all the time. Right now I'm playing blues with both.

Quick note on the ride. You really have to massage it to get it rolling because it's so heavy. The wash decays fairly fast, but not abruptly. It is very dark, so it won't fit rock or metal IMO. Better for blues or jazz. If you do smash it, it's like striking an I-Beam compared to all my other rides and I own 6. But for a dark wash, moody feel it's great.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I am currently using Sabian AA mediums which are ok.Since I am a heavy hitter on the hats and ride I have to use a med to heavy ride and hats.

I'd have to say the Paiste's I have banged on sounded better then any of the very few select ones the GC here stocks.

GC here sucks,they don't even carry Sabian HH cymbals or stock more then 1 of the same cymbal at a time.I am waiting on another 18" AAXplosion Fast Crash and 16" AAXplosion crash to come in so I can buy them. Getting a little sick of GC here,tempted to start going to another place and paying a higher price to get better service.I go in today to buy something and couldn't even get a sales rep to help me.After wasting 20 minutes of my time and trying to ruin a very nice set of drums they had set up trying to get their attention I left.I beat the hell out of the cymbals and drums harder then I would my own and they all ignored me,wish I would of broke the damn things to teach them worthless {censored}s a lesson. I could take the $1200 in cymbals and snare I bought back and order somewhere else.That'd piss them off but leave me without cymbals for a few days.

• Members

I also love my Sabian AA 14" Fusion's just as much.

I've got 13" fusion hats. I bought them the week they came out back in the late 80's. Never considered replacing them.

I'd love a pair of Ziljian Constantinople hats for banging around in the basement. Along with a 22" Constantinople ride. Something really thin and earthy that I could really lean into. Maybe when the kids are grown up.

• Members

I swear I posted here earlier, guess I forgot to hit the button..

Try this again..

I tried all kinds, and nothing felt or sounded anybetter than what I already have.. So for me Armands.. But so many good ones out there. K/Z K's period are sweet..

I want to try some Legacy hats real bad, the ride is excellent, I bet the hats are equally as pleasing.. Nobody has any in stock to try though.

• Members

Another New Beat lover here. Mine are 70's 14" hollow logo.

That said, I have them sitting in the bag in favor of a bastard set I've put together. It's a 1976 black label era Paiste 2002 over a Zildjian A Custom Mastersound. I don't have weights but the Paiste is thin and Zildjian is def. heavy. I'm definitely digging this combo. They are extremely articulate yet very warm with great sizzle.

Archived