Something you (well, I) rarely hear...

BeakerArk

• Members

Got a text askin' if I'd be up for a fill-in gig w/ a local band tonight and tomorrow night. In the exchanges of texts, I received this one from the bassist in this particular band. . .

"You should bring your doublebass pedals. . ."

Now, I've got a set, but I rarely use 'em (not a lot of call for doublebass in the old soul / r&b tunes I do in my usual band).

This should be interesting. . .

• Members

^^BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA...

I traded emails with the guy in charge of the venue where I'll be playing some jazz next week. He wanted me to use the house kit. I said no.

He sent me a cell phone pic and message "it has a double bass pedal for you!"

Ummm, no thanks. Don't think I'll be doing any Pantera jazz covers, either...

• Members

I love the stigma around double bass. If you're not with 'long hairs' you get made fun of if you bring a single kick and get called...well, they don't know any drummers who don't go by a surname. Bring a double pedal or god forbid a 2nd drum around typical guys and you start getting the "Hey Lars. How ya doin?"

I love ignorance, it usually shows a person's lack of talent before they even start to play.

• Members

I play DBL pedals w/ the blues band. They are not JUST designed for 230 BPM. They can be used to add a lot more groove to the pocket. I like 'em. I'm pretty sure the early DBL bass players weren't playing any metal, but they found their place for them. So I don't think it's unheard of. JMO

• Members

Certain swing stuff can go a lot tighter with doubles. Like you can move a foot over and ghost the dotted note on a ba dum. Try that with a single and you lose 10 BPMs.

I do something like that. I do a kind of canter, left foot is on the beat 1/2/3/4, the other foot plays the bounce note.

beat: 1/2/3/4

r-l / r-l+s / r-l / r-l+s

Makes is incredibly low-maintenance on the right leg. (rh drummer)

Also makes playing faster blues bits, like hot for teacher, possible.

• Members

I play DBL pedals w/ the blues band. They are not JUST designed for 230 BPM. They can be used to add a lot more groove to the pocket. I like 'em. I'm pretty sure the early DBL bass players weren't playing any metal, but they found their place for them. So I don't think it's unheard of. JMO

Louie Bellson...

Huge metal head dontchaknow.

• Members

I just got asked to fill in for a local band too. Funny, I'm known around here for my double bass work, but when it comes to local bands I think I am one of the few who doesn't use a double pedal. I haven't come across a song that they want to play that I can't handle with a single. In fact we were talking about playing on a house kit the other day and I said that we might want to skip Barracuda because I've never played it with two feet and not sure I could play good enough doubles on some other guys pedal.

Archived