Talk to me about 60's Sears Jap kits.

Cross Eyed Mary

• Members

My first kit in '65 was a Whiehall. It was a blue oyster pearl 3 piece. 18" kick 12" rack tom and 14"x5" snare. It was single lug, and I remember that the snare stand and the rack tom mount were not good at all. The rack tom mount would clamp on to the bass drum hoop. I'm sorry that I got rid of them. They had good tone for being a cheap stencil kit. The bass drum had a ton of punch for being a small 18" jazz kit. I did have trouble with the snare going out of tune because a few of the tension rods would loosen quickly, but I was able to get it back in, as it was the two lugs right where I was doing rim-shots. Perhaps a die cast hoop would have taken care of this.

I have been to quite a few vintage drum shows and have not seen many of them being available. I assume that like me, most people got them as their first kit and didn't hang on to them after getting their "real" drums.

With good heads and careful tuning they sounded good.

It seems that they are making a nostalgic comback in collectability, and you may be able to find a buyer for them should you decide to unload them in the future.

• Members

the blue sparkle kit.......the exact same kit I use to jam on at my uncles house years ago. I actually rebuilt the snare on it a few years back. sounded ok for what it was. If it would of had some nice heads it would of made a nice jazz/fusion kit. The tom mounts were the same as the remo kit I got in 77', the adjuster would work loose and then the tom would fall. the remo kit and the whitehall both had single tom mount and the remo kit had a mount on the bass drum rh side for a cymbal arm(kinda cool actually) I sold that kit for $80...........wish I had it back. Ive got some pics somewhere...see if I can find em.

• Members

Actually, part of the reason im digging this kit so much is the fact that it has a big ass OG rail mount for the rack. That {censored}er feels pretty solid.

Looks like you kit is a lot better than mine was. I know mine was a low end set and my rack mount sucked, big time.

However I still wish that I kept that set.

• Members

I had an 80's stencil kit and those mounts were cheap as well and they were better than the 60's mounts!! Plus mine was made in Taiwan and not Japan.

From what I've seen and heard, there is big money involved if you have the WHOLE complete kit, stands and all and kit is in good shape. Otherwise, they are a dime a dozen. Agree with the others that they are hit and miss, can sound decent with good heads but the woods they used made it hard for the drums to project. Kinda like CB-700s, Cheap starter kits that are good bedroom practice kits but just sound weak on stage. Plus you have to baby the the stand stands, lugs and mounts. Hope this helps.

• Members

You expected better from me than to shorten the word Japanese?

OK I was going to come heavy but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. (although seeing as you say you're from California I don't know why I should...you should know your own history.)

You do know the word is a racial slur don't you?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jap

• Members

The only American reference for the J term would be War II. So the usage would probably have origins in contempt if not hatred. Not that slavery was any cooler but the N word is a slur with a slightly different spin. Don't need to go into that. African Americans have their own America going and the N word seems to be part of the party. Japanese Asians on the other hand seem to have no foot in anything but academics; for purposes of this post, especially not the entertainment media. No depictions credible or otherwise of the J guys, jivin' away like the N guys.

So BFD?

• Members

Well, as someone who has japanese relatives I can pretty much assure you that they would probably think you were quite a rude person if threw out the word Jap in their presence.

But whatever. People can make all the excuses they want, ignore the history of things like this

http://www.authentichistory.com/1939-1945/2-homefront/3-anti-jap/index.html

Along with the fact families lost their property and businesses while they were thrown into internment camps. American Citizens no less. All of this kind of crap done with that word thrown as an insult..not an abbreviation.

• Members

I'm going to be blunt and say I just don't give a {censored}. I don't start whining and blathering about my grandpa every time someone says polack. And I can promise you those camps were a {censored} of alot worse than anything in America.

The whole thing is just silly and I really don't care enough to have a debate about it. If it chaps your ass feel free to PM me but let's just talk about the {censored}ing kit.

Archived