bad, medium and great drummers

w,wert

• Members

Yes, I could. Lang is a great drummer, and a seasoned session player that can play or handle
any
situation. That's what a great drummer can do....
anything

You are making an assumption, because of his over the top stuff, that he is incapable of playing otherwise. Total bull{censored}. I've heard commercial jingles he's done, and you'd swear it could be Hal Blaine.

That is one of the all time rancid cliche's in music, that a musician that is capable of inhuman feats on their instrument can't play simple when required, is just rubbish, but the converse is definitely true.

Jack of all trades master of nothing...well...I take that back..he is a master at 4 way independence but.....no thanks....he's stiff and lifeless in my opinion.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OOF!

Are you referring to the Burning for Buddy vids from the early 90's?

We'll have to disagree: IMO, Peart was clearly not in his element. His playing was stiff, lacked any swing or life, he was not driving the band, but rather playing.his.robotic.part.in.purely.mathematical.te rms...

And his kit sounded like ass.

I HAVE heard from folks who are into him that he spent time since getting better at swing/jazz, etc.

Can't imagine him doing worse...

yep...he pretty much {censored}ing sucked as a swing drummer. He's just to straight.

I mean this is better than I would do but still......

Even an average jazz cat would blow the doors off of this performance...

• Members

Not to defend Peart but everybody on the list - Chambers, Weckl, was Vinnie there? ... was lame. The regular guy prolly blows 'em all. Not to mention the scores of other capable legit band drummers around. Sorri, listened to way too much BR band in my life. lol

• Members

Not Marvin Smith...he was awesome on the BR tribute. A true Jazz player that one.

I should clarify that I meant regular band drummers - who could they possibly be ? lol, college kids prolly - would also blow the star lineup

Anyway IIRC I was including Smitty in the star bunch. Domineering as he was, there's only one Buddy.

• Members

Better have your ears checked.

So...How come I can tell that Joe Morella, Tito Puente, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Billy Cobham, Max Roach and even Michael Shrieve are ALL GREAT drummers, but somehow can't tell that Ginger Baker and Jon Bonham are? Exactly WHAT is wrong with my ears?

• Members

So...How come I can tell that Joe Morella, Tito Puente, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Billy Cobham, Max Roach and even Michael Shrieve are ALL GREAT drummers, but somehow can't tell that Ginger Baker and Jon Bonham are? Exactly WHAT is wrong with my ears?

You're deaf?

Your ears have no taste?

I don't know.

Maybe if you keep trolling on this topic, you'll find out.

• Members

Joe Mozzarella - what a cheesy bastid. Had no biz amongst the grates.

I agree Bonham, Baker, Moon... no precision, chops, material like the jazzers on your A list. BUT they were the drums on some great rock. The guys on your A list would stuck scratching their heads. Billy too.

What do you think of Bruford, Collins, Harrison, ... did I miss a couple hundred?

• Members

This guy really hates British drummers. Maybe his Welsh nanny touched his naughty bits as a boy?

If you suck at drums, play them louder. Worked for Phil Rudd.

a) I never had a nanny. I just listen and hear guys whacking the skins as hard as they can on the beat. nothing sweet there.

b) So...as you said, most just play them louder.

A couple of weeks ago somebody posted a YT of Rod Stewart's "Maggie May". As I listened to it, a great ballad, I realized the drummer was totally RUINING IT! Then I listened to my favorite all-time cover by Stewart, of Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe" and found I was hearing the same damn thing! A drummer too loud, too simple, and just plain too cheezy.

Then the other night, I watched "Help!" again, Beatles on the cusp from bubblegum to Beethoven-like brilliance and even though most of the songs were stupid lyrics, the music was clearly evolving. And poor, maligned Ringo was ABSOLUTELY KEY to the sound on all of them, as was McCartney's fabulous bass work. Joe Morella's drum work on "Take Five" is as integral to that classic as Brubeck's piano and Desmond's sax.

Maybe there are exceptions to be added to the Starr, Watts, Moon trio, but I don't hear it in the much-hailed British drummers.

Archived