Behringer Bass amps?

fuzzball

• Members

Thanks for the input, I am not a great bass player, but I do play on occasion. I already have 10 guitars and 3 amps, but yet I still have never invested much into the pass guitar and amps in my studio. I will consider all of the input you have provided.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

Originally posted by Archon_113

How many Behringer products have you used?

Used? I don't know; I don't count. Owned? Absolutely none. The fact that Behringer "borrows" the design and circuitry of many of their products, and has been sued and lost or settled is more than enough reason to not buy anything from them. Friends who have Behringer gear and have had their share of failures and problems with repair service are just the icing on the cake. Not to mention how many times I've found a brand new mixer on display, with one or several failures.

There are plenty of inexpensive amps and music products that don't have the issues Behringer does. Anything wrong with Peavey? Ashdown? Yamaha? Even Fender's got a budget line of amps.

• Members

Fender Rumble 60

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/480720/

Behringer 60W

http://www.music123.com/Behringer-Ultrabass-BX600-i20763.music

Ibanez 60W combo

http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-SW65-i59623.music

Ashdown 100W

http://www.music123.com/Ashdown-Five-Fifteen-i95658.music

EDIT:

Alesis 60W

http://www.music123.com/Alesis-Bassfire-60-i150434.music

I know nothing about the Alesis. The Ibanez are pretty reliable. I have heard/read reliability concerns about Ashdown stuff

(check reviews) but they certainly are thought better of here than the Behringer stuff is...same factory in China though..(actually isn't that why they are allowed to copy Ashdown gear...work sharing agreement in Behringers facility)

I hear the Fender Rumbles are pretty good for the $$ pretty sure they are made in China as well....

• Members

To answer the original question, yes for what you're looking for they are fine, (if you like their tone). Keep in mind if you should need repairs it will cost about half of the purchase price to find out whats wrong with it, and more than it's worth used. This isn't meant to devalue the product, that's just the soft dollar facts.

Ask your local amp tech repair person about them and other brands. It's quite possible he or she may have a resently worked over used amp he'll sell you in your price range. If you don't have one close by buy new and get an extended warranty with whatever you decide on.

• Members

Thanks, I currenty have many options for bass, I was trying to get out cheap I guess. I know in many cases you get what you pay for (which is why I have a lot of expensive stuff). I guess the reason I asked is bass is my weak point of my signal chain and I was trying to make it better as cheap as possible. I already hae 3 guitar amps, 1 bass amp, 10 guitars, 2 drum sets, and 2 keyboards and a lot of recording gear. I was trying to cheap out on bass (or get the best I could for a cheap budget).

• Members

For "good sounding" cheap stuff you can either go used or go Behringer. Those that do not chose Behringer do so for more than just quality.(Moral issues, company ethics)

My experience with Behringer totals up to this. I currently own a B Europower 1500 that sits in my rack with a BBE Bmax. A bass v-amp that I use for studio work and live PA hookups when I don't use an amp. A BX3000T and BA115 that is a backup/practice rig that I take when I don't want to haul 2 cabs and a heavy rack. I also used to own a BX600 that I used at my house but sold to purchase a bass. I chose the BX600 over the Fender 60 watt combo and the Ibanez 60 watter. They both lacked in the volume dept and did not play as loud as the watts stated. The B had a more versatile sound and blew the other two out of the water.

If you get a chance to try one out listen with your ears and not with others opinions. If you like it, get it. For the money the B products are an option for those that cannot afford boutique gear. I agree with you get what you pay for but with all the gigs and events I have played for I have more than made my money back on my investments.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by PrestiaRules

yeah there are lots of cheap practice amps available from Yamaha right now:
:confused:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesListLE/0,,CTID%253D224900%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html

Sorry to confuse you. Both Yamaha and Behringer have other products besides bass practice amps, namely sound reinforcement gear. This same 'discussion' surfaces over in the Live Sound Forum even more than here, and Yamaha is a strong competitor in budget speakers and mixers. I accidently included them here.

FWIW you seem to have left out Peavey in your previous thread listing bass amp options.

Your posts here come across as though you're personally offended by any negative criticism of Behringer, and possibly as if none is justified or we're all making things up. As I previously mentioned, I've used their gear, I've demo'd it in stores, and I've read countless posts over in Live Sound from guys whose opinions are valid.

The only reason I haven't personally purchased anything of theirs is because I don't want to support their business practices. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to take advantage of a 30-day return policy to test their gear in real use. Hell, I've even built speakers from an internet plans business just to prove to myself and others that the design was nothing special and the plans were total {censored}. I don't speak about anything unless my comments are backed with experience, otherwise I'll state my knowledge or lack thereof.

• Members

So far I am leaning to Peavey, I have liked every Peavey that I have use so far, and I also like what I have tested. I don't mind spending a little more, I was curious about Behringer since they are so cheap. I do like their compressors, but other than that I have not liked much of what I have tried. I hear the V-amps are nice, so I will check them out also. Thanks for all of the tips and opinions.

By the way I recomend Peavey amps for guitar, I think they are a great value for the $$ the Bandit series is good, the classic 30 is awsome and the 5150, JSX, 6150, are all killer. The Peavey wolfgang is an awsome rock guitar!

Does anyone hear have any experience with Peavey Bass guitars?

• Members

One good thing about Peavey is that they will stand behind their products. If you buy older Peavey gear and it does break, it's usually very easy and cheap to get fixed. See if you can locate an early 90's Peavey Mark VIII XP head. Lots of features and tons of legit power for not a lot of money. A local musicgoround has one in absolute mint condition for $299. You should be able to find them slightly roadworn for much less elswhere.

I have a Behringer BX1200. It sounds okay at low volumes but absolutely can't compete with anything but a soft hitting drummer and guitarists using practice amps. There is no way on earth that thing is a legit 120 watts continuous.

• Members

The Behringer stuff I've used has either worked fine or been a total piece of {censored}. This includes one of the little combos ({censored}), a board (good so far), a powered PA/speakers (good), two of their power amps (not good), and I can't think of anything else.

The combo basically was broken and didn't seem to have a usable sound in it. The power amps kept shutting off, either due to overloading or overheating. In either case, they were the only units in the room (other poweramps, my bass amp, Crate guitar stack, some other stuff) that weren't working consistently.

The PA/speakers worked fine, but we only used it for one gig before that band disappeared.

The board is being used by the college's Vocal Jazz group. It has worked well so far, but it needs to be EQ'ed. Imagine a band with 7 lead singers and you can guess the egos going on, so it "doesn't need to be EQed."

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

FWIW you seem to have left out Peavey in your previous thread listing bass amp options.

Your posts here come across as though you're personally offended by any negative criticism of Behringer, and possibly as if none is justified or we're all making things up. As I previously mentioned, I've used their gear, I've demo'd it in stores, and I've read countless posts over in Live Sound from guys whose opinions are valid.

The only reason I haven't personally purchased anything of theirs is because I don't want to support their business practices. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to take advantage of a 30-day return policy to test their gear in real use. Hell, I've even built speakers from an internet plans business just to prove to myself and others that the design was nothing special and the plans were total {censored}. I don't speak about anything unless my comments are backed with experience, otherwise I'll state my knowledge or lack thereof.

no I am not offended...I just get so tired of the immediate dismissal of it. I think for a young kid (or anyone) just starting out it is a better choice than Drive or some of those other awful brands...like Gorilla or something. I bought a 300 Behringer head and the sound wasn't for me...I prefer my Peavey head..however it would have been 40% less so for someone who has a limited budget would (IMHO) do okay with a Behringer....

I left Peavey off that list because I couldn't find a link for a Peavey in the 60-100W range of the stuff i was posting. I like Peavey I play a Peavey amp into my Dr. Bass cabs. I usually link to ebay adds for Peavey but I thought a TNT was a bit large for his stated needs. Also I was going to bed.

I do get offended by people laughing at someone who is curious about a product...seems senseless and pointless...I feel we should try to offer advice or warnings based on experience not simply brand elitism. I could afford to buy Eden gear or even Phil jones if I wanted to...I choose to use Peavey because it does what I need and lets me do some of the other things I like to do with my money...like sponsor a family of 9 up in Northern Thailand....(the $5000+ I could spend on gear does alot more for them each year.....) also i would rather travel the world on my holidays instead of buying a Sadowsky...or I'd rather spend 1/3 of the money buying a couple cheap P basses and trying all sorts of pick ups and hardware options just out of interest and to (hopefully) provide some insight for others who might be interested later on.

I simply posted how many gigs etc. my Behringer BDDI has been through to reply to a question about durability.

You seem to have a lot of knowledge and strong feelings on certain subjects. I respect that. However I also have had a fair amount of experience and am trying to gather and share as much knowledge as I can. Add that to the fact that I know what it is like to be 15 years old living on your own and having to work all night after going to school all day and barely having enough $$ to pay rent let alone afford an additional $100-$200 to spend on gear. I wish Behringer was an option when I was there. Now that I have $$ to dispose of I still remember what it was like when your only options were the lowest of the low....IMHO Behringer is a much better option than anything in its price range..I think when you have a budget of $150..jumping up to $250 simply isn't an option....

EDIT: I don't think anyone makes up stories about having problems with Behringer anymore than I think people who have had good experiences make their stories up...it most of these threads it seems the positive are at least equal to the negatives (and I think actually outnumber)

as far as business practices and business morals go...if that is the basis for judgement how can anyone buy Pepsico products, GM, Martha Stewart or purchase items from the hundreds of other companies who treat their workers and customers poorly...that is a big can of worms...a valid one for adults (who can afford the time and money) to concern themselves with but a big can none the less.

oh yeah...Religion, George Bush and all other hot button topics...

• CMS Author

...I know what it is like to be 15 years old living on your own and having to work all night after going to school all day and barely having enough $$ to pay rent let alone afford an additional $100-$200 to spend on gear. I wish Behringer was an option when I was there. Now that I have $$ to dispose of I still remeber what it was like when your only options were the lowest of the low....IMHO Behringer is a much better option than anything in its price range..I think when you have a budget of $150..jumping up to $250 simply isn't an option....

If you saw the crap I played when I was 15, you'd laugh your ass off. And that's part of why I argue against the cheapest in favor of the best value....I've wasted a LOT of money on the lowest cost item only to find that 3 months later I needed to replace the item either because it was inadequate or more often because it had failed....and I now had no trade-in plus I was out the item's cost.

"Buy once, cry once" is often quoted in Live Sound. Within reason it applies here as well. I'd rather recommend a good used item or saving for the new item, than making the quick purchase for a throwaway. Obviously for a practice amp this isn't a huge deal at all, but the principal remains.

• Members

If you saw the crap I played when I was 15, you'd laugh your ass off. And that's part of why I argue against the cheapest in favor of the best value....I've wasted a LOT of money on the lowest cost item only to find that 3 months later I needed to replace the item either because it was inadequate or more often because it had failed....and I now had no trade-in plus I was out the item's cost.

"Buy once, cry once" is often quoted in Live Sound. Within reason it applies here as well. I'd rather recommend a good used item or saving for the new item, than making the quick purchase for a throwaway. Obviously for a practice amp this isn't a huge deal at all, but the principal remains.

I am guessing we were lugging around some similarly crap gear at that age...

I don't mean to come of as offended or a dick...I just feel strongly about the barriers a lack of money causes for people and I hate to see them mocked for coming from a less fortunate circumstance..

either way how about I buy you a virtual beer?

:)

EDIT: not that i have any idea where the fellow who started this thread comes from...and judging from his later posts he clearly has some $$ tied up in gear...I just meant in general it gets my panites in a bunch

• CMS Author

I am guessing we were lugging around some similarly crap gear at that age...

I don't mean to come of as offended or a dick...I just feel strongly about the barriers a lack of money causes for people and I hate to see them mocked for coming from a less fortunate circumstance..

either way how about I buy you a virtual beer?

:)

EDIT: not that i have any idea where the fellow who started this thread comes from...and judging from his later posts he clearly has some $$ tied up in gear...I just meant in general it gets my panites in a bunch

Understood, and I've got the second round:)

I've got a lot (I mean a LOT) of really great gear. I'm blessed with a steady good income and the patience to wait for deals and/or the cash to buy it. But I fully understand poverty as I've lived it, and in any case would never mock someone's choice regardless of their ability to pay more or not. Hence my first post's, "Friends don't let friends..." I'll make my recommendation or express an opinion about gear, and I won't pull punches....if I think it's crap I'll call it crap. But once the purchase is made, I'm just as glad to help someone use an item I didn't recommend as one I did.

The mention of crap gear reminds me of our PA when I was 16. We had a pair of Sam Ash (this was pre-Samson even!) 10 or 12" speakers....these didn't even have the 'deluxe' piezo tweeter. TO get them over the crowd, we made our own stands. This was before stands were available, as far as I knew, and we couldn't afford them anyway (they'd cost more than the speakers). My guitarist's dad was a carpenter, and he provided most of the materials....

They consisted of a 16" plywood platform for the speaker. It was supported by a 2" galvanized pipe 8-feet long, with pipe flanges. The base was two 2x4's....also 8 feet long, in an "X". To keep it all together, 1/8" steel rope with turnbuckles went from each end of the base up to the platform. To see these tiny speakers high atop the gigantic stands was a sight to behold:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzball

Are they any good?

Do they hold up?

I am not a big Behringer fan, but I have heard some good things about their bass amps.

Behringer amps are the ultimate in crappiness. I havent played one I liked, even as a beater. For the low end of amps the Fender Rumble series isnt bad. If anything they have bass where the Behringer's do not.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by KeroseneTrewthe

Behringer amps are the ultimate in crappiness. I havent played one I liked, even as a beater. For the low end of amps the Fender Rumble series isnt bad. If anything they have bass where the Behringer's do not.

For the Fenders, forget the smallest Rumble, the 15 I think? I forgot to mention that earlier. But the larger ones all sound like bass amps, and they do have those cool red lights in the port:rolleyes:

Among the really small amps, it's still hard to beat a Micro Bass.

• Members

For the Fenders, forget the smallest Rumble, the 15 I think? I forgot to mention that earlier. But the larger ones all sound like bass amps, and they do have those cool red lights in the port:rolleyes:

Among the really small amps, it's still hard to beat a Micro Bass.

I got a MicroBass too and it doesnt have a ton of bass - only an 8" speaker but that thing is sure loud for its size. Its a great bedroom practice amp.

• Members

Nice Bass. I must admit that I am a big Peavey fan. Their products have never let me down. I think I am going to get a Peavey amp for recording, after testing several I really like them. Hmmm maybe I should get a peavey bass...

I have considered a fender P bass (mexican made) and peavey for recording. Any suggestions there.

Sorry about all of the questions, but I am trying to get better recordings and the bass was the weak part in my signal chain.

Archived