G&L or RICKENBACKER !

Daryl Chaney

• Members

Originally posted by achtung jackass

nice to see a fellow Dub on the forums! welcome! where bouts in dublin are ya located?

i'd vote for G&L, lovely basses.
:)
ricks are so overrated, every indie band has to have a rick playing bassist. it gets a bit old i think.

Just passing through from the guitar forums...

That makes three of us. ;)

I agree with you about the indie bands. They all use Rics. It's annoying.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by bassmaniac

You guys that think a Rick is not all that versatile haven't spent a great deal of time playing one.

I totally agree with this statement!

I voted for Rickenbacker.

I think they sound great for everything. I don't play my Ricks on just old Rush tunes that I've confirmed Geddy used a Rick on, or just on Yes tunes, because I'd never get to play. I don'y play in a high profile prog rock band.

Ricks sound great on everything I play because I'm playing it, that Bass isn't playing me. I'm the driver.

My Ricks respond very nicely to whatever I apply them to. Smooth Blues, Cool Country or Rock Ballads. They Bark, Bite and Glide through it all sounding like deadly killer Bass Guitar.

I used my 74' Walnut 4001 for last Fridays HP corporate celibration we played for. Outdoors, used my Max and 412-TFX. Everything was smooth and sweet. When I get some copies of photos taken of us I'll post them.

I have played G&L's; L1000, SB2 and Tribute. They're great basses. I'd always take a Rick first.

• Members

L2k gets my vote. nd anyon ht say a G&L "is not a Fender" is talking out of his ASS. Leo always said he considered the G & L basses the best he ever designed and made. and the L2K is probbly the best of all of them.

I love ric too, dont get me wrong, but I have a feeling a lot of people own ricks just becuase they want to look different than the next bassist. Many

buy it for looks instead of sound - nothing sounds like one but sometimes thats not an advantage. :p

• Members

Originally posted by Tim in WV

Leo always said he considered the G & L basses the best he ever designed and made.

I wouldn't have expected him to say that G&L's were not as good as the instruments he used to make. :D

• Members

Wow, two very different basses.

The G&L is like a Fender Precision on steroids w/ no real personality of its own, whereas the Ric is entirely its own beast with its own voice.

I own an L2000...but if you're playing a Jazz and like it, the Ric is probably going to do it for you better than the L2000 will. I just think the Ric is characteristically closer to a Jazz bass in its tone.

Just my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Will Turpin - Collective Soul

Mike Porcaro - Toto

Craig Montoya - Everclear

Danny Milliner - Brooks & Dunn

Mark "The Animal" Mendoza - Twisted Sister

James LoMenzo - Black Label Society

Sara Lee - Indigo Girls/B-52's

Bones Hillman - Midnight Oil

Tom Hamilton - Aerosmith

Gail Ann Dorsey - David Bowie

Jerry Dixon - Warrant

Kevin "Brandino" Brandon - Aretha Franklin, James Brown

Garry Beers - INXS

THUNDERPWNED!!12!!!11!

I would vote for the G&L, because it has more bolt thingies holding on the neck. And, as we all know, more=better.

That, plus "Rickenbacker" is Babylonian for "splitty splat splatt".

• Members

I was really surprised to see how many people went Rick on this one.

Ricks are certainly nice, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd definately go G&L. Ricks have their sound, but I've never "fallen" for one. They just seem like another bass to me. The G&L has tons of sounds, and lots of badassity, and the Rick ain't worth that kind of versatility if you ask me.

• Members

This is all good. It's kind of like 16 years ago when I bought my first Harley. Not that many of them around. Now everyone has one. So I bought a Triumph. Unique, conversation piece, and not everyone owns one. Just the way it should be for owning a Ric. Keep lovin' those G&L's.:thu:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by BigPigPeaches

THUNDERPWNED!!12!!!11!

I would vote for the G&L, because it has more bolt thingies holding on the neck. And, as we all know, more=better.

Actually, the 3-bolt design with micro-tilt adjustment is generally favored among G&L purists.

• Members

The consistency of the G&L is second to none.I have a ASAT that is extremely flexible,a Ric is its own voice and many times players think anything that is good enough for Paul is fof them.Give me the lowly G&L anyday!!

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I have several basses. 17 in all. I always wanted a Ric so after bought one and tried it out, I just left it in its case till I sold it last year.

In my collection I have 3 G&L's L-1000 and one L-2000. I would not trade them for anything else. They are very very versatile, and they are the ones that I like using on stage. Leo Fender was right when he refered to his G&L guitars and basses 'These are the real ones'.

• Members

It's natural in this type of thread that you are going to get varied replies. Does it really matter which big well known artists play a certain bass, or what anyone else thinks ???? What matters is what YOU think. They are both great basses. My advice is to try out both and decide for yourself.

FWIW, my choice would be the G&L. What's yours ? ;)

Archived