You've been dissed by Bass NW!

Thunderbroom

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by chubrocker

Folks, RELAX!! I think his comments are being taken WAY to serious. Some of you are not going to do business with him due to this comment???
:rolleyes:
Switch to decaf for the rest of the afternoon and grab a beer early tonight.

Hey screw you chubrocker, we're through doing business with you too!!!:mad:

*slams liter of Mountain Dew*

What are you lookin' at, freak???:mad: :mad:

:D
C7

• Members

Folks, RELAX!! I think his comments are being taken WAY to serious. Some of you are not going to do business with him due to this comment???
:rolleyes:
Switch to decaf for the rest of the afternoon and grab a beer early tonight.

O_O COFFEE!!!1!!!

WHERE???!?!??! O_O

• Members

I don't necessarily agree with him, but I don't disagree with him either. I'm sure there are guys who tout their skills and play about an hour a week while surfing for hours. There are many of us who surf during work cuz we refuse to work. ;) And then play at night.

• Moderators

Actually he isn't saying that the invention of the internets was a bad thing. He just thinks those who are addicted to forums would be better off turning the computer off, picking up a bass and playing it. If you understand that lug is the King of Suck, I'd say you shouldn't be offended by his comments.:)

• Members
Originally posted by ThudMaker

Actually he isn't saying that the invention of the internets was a bad thing. He just thinks those who are addicted to forums would be better off turning the computer off, picking up a bass and playing it. If you understand that lug is the King of Suck, I'd say you shouldn't be offended by his comments.
:)

Perhaps the author shouldn't have indicated that he said it with a particular disdain towards people who post in online forums.
I say we crucify BOTH of them.:mad:
C7

• Moderators
Originally posted by Crescent Seven

Perhaps the author shouldn't have indicated that he said it with a particular disdain towards people who post in online forums.

I say we crucify BOTH of them.
:mad:
C7

Understood. I can see the disdain, too. I just wanted to point out that if you look at the text between the lines, he's probably not meaning to come off as harsh as he did here. Ah, what do I know. Get me the rope!:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

From the article:

He (Evan Sheely) also ponders the recent trend of online forums with a shake of the head, saying, "They become an unhealthy obsession. If players would pick up the bass instead of the mouse, they would not only become better players, but they'd feel better spiritually."

I can't count how many days have started out crappy only to have my mood greatly improved by a good forum joke.

I also think there's very little that inspires me more than a good "Check this lick out..." post by one of our forumites. Those lesson stickys by Darkslide and Bassius were awesome.

• Members
Originally posted by ToeJamFootball

although its annoying to see someone say that, it is true, kinda.

This is like the manager of a Ford dealership walking out on the floor, and yelling to the customers "You're all a bunch of idiots."

While it's probably true, I mean they're buying Fords, it's not a smart business decision.:D
C7

• Members

I think ya'll are taking his quote too literal. I think he is right--to a point. There are times I spend two hours on a forum (or two) reading senseless threads when I could be in my basement jamming or recording.

+1

He's not saying online forums are bad, just that they "become an unhealthy obsession." He should have clarified, though, because it's all about the user (and abuser). I would have said "when used in moderation, they can be a good thing, but..."

Man, the (over)reactions here are harsh.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Fran da Man

I don't know; half of the people would find some other distraction...kids, job, golfing etc..

Good point.

It's not about the forum, the bass, other distractions... it's all about the person who chooses to use them.

• Members

As much as I enjoy posting on forums, you have to admit that while this IS a bass forum, the amount of actual bass-related talk is not nearly as prevalent as parody threads or just regular topics about day-to-day things.

And given how many of our forumites can become so...passionate...about their views and comments on this forum, it gives validation to the thought that if instead of posting away on the computer, if posters focused it on something more productive, they'd be happier all around. I stopped posting on this site at work specifically for the fact that I didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything by being on here when I was being paid to actually do some work. After making that decision, I got a raise and am the leading authority in our office for my department.

The fact that Evan Sheely put it in the context of bass playing is irrelevant. I knew about Bass NW and did business with them years before ever knowing about Harmony Central, so it's not like a little boycott because someone is upset with a statement from him is really going to hit them hard.

• Members

I thoroughly agree with Evan's (?) statement about online forums. Should he have mentioned it in a print medium where it'll come back to bite him in the ass? Absolutely not. Once the genie's out of the bottle, you can't put him back in.

Here at HCBF, we'll discuss it, laugh, and move on. On other forums, this probably won't be the case.

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

I haven't read the whole article. When/if i do (which I won't), I'll flame him. Just one little quote can be taken WAY out of context.

Here it is in context:

The Internet portion of the business has increased dramatically since Sheeley established bassnw.com in 1997, and now they sell more basses online than over the counter. Sheeley answers hundreds of emails each day, making sure that every online customer receives the same personal attention as if they were right there in the store.

It

• Members
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Here it is in context:

The Internet portion of the business has increased dramatically since Sheeley established bassnw.com in 1997, and now they sell more basses online than over the counter. Sheeley answers hundreds of emails each day, making sure that every online customer receives the same personal attention as if they were right there in the store.

It

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

In that context, he basically {censored}s where he eats, but I wonder if it's not an intentional contextual error on the part of the author, because the last paragraph, especially the line leading up to the quote, sort of begs the question a little bit, as if it's the author that has an agenda against the internet and forums, and not Evan Sheely.

Hmm.

C7

yar

Archived