• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For classic rock?

Keith Emerson
Jon Lord
Rick Wakeman

For more recent stuff, I really like Bruce Horsnby, especially his later solo stuff.

Randy Newman has done some nice work, too.

And Stevie Wonder.

Give me a a blues guy with a B-3 and a Leslie any day of the week. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by bassgeek

Your poll ingnores the talents of:

Jan Hammer

i liked him better on the inner mounting flame, before he started to go buckwild with the moog pitch bending on birds of fire :freak:

altho yea hes good. i mean cmon, how can you hate on MISTER MIAMI VICE??

• Members

Wakeman is an absolute wizard on the keys; I love his playing icon14.gif

I'd also like to add Gentle Giant's Kerry Minnear to the list for his medieval feel, his subtlety in playing and his wicked arrangements.

Also, Utopia's Roger Powell for his great playing on especially Minimoog; his use of pitch bending and modulation is formidable.

And let's not forget this guy, for the way he makes something relatively easy to play sound so grand!!!

rick01.JPG

• Members
Originally posted by hi.flyer

i liked him better on
the inner mounting flame
, before he started to go buckwild with the moog pitch bending on
birds of fire
:freak:

altho yea hes good. i mean cmon, how can you hate on MISTER MIAMI VICE??

Jan on Jeff Beck's Wired album. :thu:

• Members

Rock - Keith Emerson

There are a lot of great ones, but IMO few can match his chops and diversity in styles. I would probably place Jordan Rudess or Kevin Moore in close 2nd. Emo and George Duke were major influences in me improving my chops.

Jazz - A lot comes to mind, particularly Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Bud Powell, Keith Jarrett, Oscar Peterson. Jimmy Smith and Brian Auger both rule the jazz organ category IMO

• Members

Classic rock - John Lord is almost impossible to beat. Apart from maybe Keith Emmerson.

Metal - Jens Johansson is an absolute monster, capable of almost any style imaginable (he released a cd with Allan Holdsworth a while back, and search for some of his seriously funky work with Jonas Hellborg. He was also Malmsteen's keyboardist back in the day). Far more soul and feel than Jordan Rudess. I'd put Bob Katsionis in the running as well.

• Members

I voted for henrik kilgenberg (even tho I know he isn't that great of a player) but he brings so much attitude with him :p.

and I mean WHO WON*T vote for the guy that uses a keytar... and even smashes it to ground, and gives the destroyed keytar to audiance - in a live dvd.

and BTW the dragonforce keyboardist guy uses a ax-7 and that weights what 6 pounds ? about as much as an electric guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by Oscius

I voted for henrik kilgenberg (even tho I know he isn't that great of a player) but he brings so much attitude with him
:p

and I mean WHO WON*T vote for the guy that uses a keytar... and even smashes it to ground, and gives the destroyed keytar to audiance - in a live dvd.

He's a good player, but I cannot take seriously anyone who uses a keytar in this day and age.

And the rest of the guys in Sonata Arctica are well... um... anyway, they needed a badass there, desperately!

• Members
Originally posted by NeonVomit

He's a good player, but I cannot take seriously anyone who uses a keytar in this day and age.

And the rest of the guys in Sonata Arctica are well... um... anyway, they needed a badass there, desperately!

He sure is a good player BUT I have heard one sonata live album (with henrik in it) and he screws one solo pretty nicely(well not that much but I allways laught when it comes - but they had a LOT of missnotes in that gig, too much beer?), he is a bit like me tho shredding for the win :p.

Mikko was better better player tho, but his lead sound was, meh :(.

And Keytarists are taken seouriously in other countries but USA -they are kind of new in other places...

Check the best bassist topic in keyboard forum - resoults are suprising :eek:

• Members

The best keyboardist ever is Jim Daryl Gilmour. From Saga's third album 'Silent Knight' in 1980 until recently (yes, Saga is still alive)
is playing was above all. And I don't even want to discuss this, 'cause he is the best, period. I laughed very hard when Eddy Van Halen won 'Keyboardist of the year' with their '1984' album. :cool:

Archived