Would a 100 watt Carvin PB100-15 be loud enough for gigging?

bubbleboyjones

• Members

The bass player in our band was thinking about getting one of these and I was wondering how this would hold up in gigging?

It seems like the Carvin would be really pushed to the limit to keep up and would clip a lot. It would be up against two 50 watt tube Peavey Classic guitar amps .

Any thoughts on the Carvin?

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=PB100-15&CID=PBS

PB100-151.jpg vs 5371.JPG:confused:

• Members

I own the carvin pb100-15 and in my opinion it won't be loud enough. It is not a bad amp and actually sounds pretty good at low volumes. It might work for band rehearsals but it would definately need PA support for a live gig. If he has his heart set on carvin and he wants a combo he should look at the br615 or 610. or maybe brx line.

• Members

Only if he can run a line out into the PA. 100 watts of bass insnt' all that much. I run 240 just to rehearse, and even that is not totally adequate with some drummers I've known.

I'd do a search on these amps. I like carvin basses and have one of their speaker cabs, but I have heard rumors at least that the bass combos aren't real reliable. I also dont' know how accurate their power ratings are. I've heard claims that their speakers do not handle as much power as they are rated for

• Members

rule of thumb that I heard to comfortably be heard and not have to struggle to keep up, without plugging into the PA, is about 500W SS

I always tend to overkill though, you can never have too much power at a gig, the more power you have and don't use, the more headroom you have and the cleaner/better the sound

• Members

With the EQ and compression you can coax some good volume out of it, but it is only 100watts so it is what it is. Mine has been a good rehersal amp for 3 years. It's actually a good deal louder than my friends Ampeg B15 (also 100w).

The new Carvin's have more power. Go check out Carvin.com and look at the new combos. I bought my 100-15 for the sole purpose of rehearsals (leaving it the guitar players house) and it's been great for that. I would get something with 200w or better for gigging.

• Members

A lot depends on how efficent the speaker is. Generally, minium is around 300 watts with "normal" speakers to get a decent volume level. Of course it also depends on where you'd be gigging at. A small coffee shop then you'd be ok but anything half way large and you'd be pushing it. My Ashdown (100watt/15")is pretty loud but if I were in a gig situation I'd want more.

• Members

A lot depends on how efficent the speaker is. Generally, minium is around 300 watts with "normal" speakers to get a decent volume level. Of course it also depends on where you'd be gigging at. A small coffee shop then you'd be ok but anything half way large and you'd be pushing it. My Ashdown (100watt/15")is pretty loud but if I were in a gig situation I'd want more.

• Members

He needs to save up for 300w and a 2x12. 100w would sound loud as {censored} in his bedroom, then he'd take it to rehearsal and it would be crying trying to keep up with the hi-hats, much less two guitars with 50w combos. :D

The only way I would recommend something like that is if your drummer has a very, very light touch and everybody could turn down. At full potential volume, 100w SS combo would get annihilated.

C7

• Members

Nope.

As a general rule of thumb, the bass amp has to have twice the power of everyone else's amps together. If you have two guitarists each playing 50 watt amps, you need at least 200 watts.

You can even the odds by tweaking your EQ. I tend to boost the mids, so I have no trouble keeping up with a 50 watt Marshall half-stack and a 50 watt Fender Blues DeVille. A 200 watt tube Traynor YBA 200 will do that. :D

I'd steer away from Carvin bass amps. They have a reputation for being long on nice specs, but over-rated in the power department. I'm guessing my old 12 watt Princeton guitar amp could have killed a 100 watt Carvin bass amp...

Archived