US most heavily armed nation on earth!!! Umm, duh....

Ender_rpm

• Members

Linky

To me, the really interesting bit is the part highlighted. _______________________________________________________________

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 PM ET

By Laura MacInnis

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

"Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

"Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

That should be the red flag from that story.

I'm currently looking into selection of a personal (concealed) carry firearm and CCW (permit) because I've had some issues with people loitering around our trucks when we are loading out. I don't intend to waive it around at people, and I will learn the weapon and how to use it before I ever strap it to my back. It is sad that any prick can pay $50 for a gun that is not registered and commit crimes with it.....

• Members

I'm currently looking into selection of a personal (concealed) carry firearm and CCW (permit) because I've had some issues with people loitering around our trucks when we are loading out. I don't intend to waive it around at people, and I will learn the weapon and how to use it before I ever strap it to my back. It is sad that any prick can pay $50 for a gun that is not registered and commit crimes with it.....

BETTER TO HAVE A GUN AND NOT NEED IT RATHER THAN NEED A GUN AND NOT HAVE IT..........CARRY YOUR HOGLEG NOT ONLY FOR YOUR SAFETY BUT ALSO TO SAFE GUARD OTHER MEMBERS OF THE BAND.

• Members

Keep in mind.....that's world wide. I don't think they register guns in Iraq and Yemen and Serbia.

It's probably much higher in the US. But probably well under 50% too.

• Members

Keep in mind.....that's world wide. I don't think they register guns in Iraq and Yemen and Serbia.

It's probably much higher in the US. But probably well under 50% too.

I don't know any stats offhand, but 50% is probably about right. Private transactions and deals from before registration (yeah, OLD guns!) account for a lot of that. I'd wager the rest are illegally obtained.

• Members

The figures on civilian ownership seem a bit off.

I served in Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc when I was in the Army and it seemed like every swinging' Richard had his AK, M-16, FN FAL etc. Sorry, but I just don't believe the US has more weapons in civilian hands than some of those sh*tholes. I think the US is more scrupulous about keeping records than, say, Chechnya...:rolleyes:

• Members

The figures on civilian ownership seem a bit off.

I served in Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc when I was in the Army and it seemed like every swinging' Richard had his AK, M-16, FN FAL etc. Sorry, but I just don't believe the US has more weapons in civilian hands than some of those sh*tholes. I think the US is more scrupulous about keeping records than, say, Chechnya...
:rolleyes:

It depends on how the survey was conducted. Funny, but we never ever know the details about these surveys and polls. We're left only to ponder the incredible results. Were weapons that are illegal to own in the USA excluded? That would cut out most of the middle east right there.

• Members

I have 5 registerd handguns and 1 shotgun that requires no registration

I have a concealed carry permit

I believe the 2nd Amendment is the reason we have never had ground troops from another country on our soil...in modern times post civil war that is....

everyone knows we are armed to the teeth and take our freedom very seriously....

anyone ever see Red Dawn?

Look at Undead Sycip thats a shot load of guns......I believe in more bullets than more guns. I only got 2 hands.....

lol

• Members

you need it..

pay off those bloody loans

I believe it's over $7,000,000,000,000.00 (our national debt). A balanced yearly budget is one thing which Clinton did annually and GWB is clueless or (more likely) doesn't give a {censored}. He's too busy giving Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson blow jobs.:eek:

The real worry is that no president since the debt ballooned has been able to reduce it significantly.

Guns...ugh! The story is not real news but still sickening.

But....only two more months until deer season in VT. Time to give a loving rubdown to my 30 ought 6:).

• Members

I believe the 2nd Amendment is the reason we have never had ground troops from another country on our soil...in modern times post civil war that is....

everyone knows we are armed to the teeth and take our freedom very seriously....

I believe it has more to do with the virtually insurmountable geographical challenges of invading the United States (like, an ocean on each side, a desert below and freezing climates above) than everyone having weapons when it comes to America never having had foreign troops on its soil since way back when. Everyone and his dog owned firearms in Cyprus in 1974, didn't make much of a difference when Turkey invaded. Same with many other countries that have been invaded. Having a few guns in your closet and a strong belief in freedom isn't going to stop a nation of 80 million (Germany) invading your country of 10 million (Holland) over a simple land border. Think that Dutch people don't really care about their independance? Ok, how about the Greeks then? No one would dare deny their fierce pride in such matters. They beat back Italy's invasion attempt, but that was more to do with Italian incompetance. When the Germans came to clear up the mess, resistance didn't last very long; again, 80 million v.s. 10 million and a relatively simple crossing from Albania. And in a rural society like it was back then, everyone owned shotguns and hunting rifles.

Never underestimate the importance of geography in such matters.

Please don't tell me you take that film even remotely seriously :freak:

• Members

Interesting point. I know in most states, shot guns and hunting rifles need no weapon specific license or registration. I wonder if the fact the many unregistered guns in the US are in fact owned COMPLETELY legally had any impact on this survey?

lol

Thank god for glasnost :)

reddawn_120704.gif

• Members

And hopefully it will stay that way. ;)

I recently bought two shotguns (one for each hand :p) in NY and they had to be registered. {censored}in' Nanny state. :rolleyes:

• Members

And hopefully it will stay that way.
;)

I recently bought two shotguns (one for each hand
:p
) in NY and they had to be registered. {censored}in' Nanny state.
:rolleyes:

NY'er here - and short of NYC, I've never heard of ANY long gun needing to be registered here in NY... Now, if you're saying you had to fill out a yellow sheet to purchase one from an FFL holder - that's the same as in any other state...

- georgestrings

• Members

NY'er here - and short of NYC, I've never heard of ANY long gun needing to be registered here in NY... Now, if you're saying you had to fill out a yellow sheet to purchase one from an FFL holder - that's the same as in any other state...

- georgestrings

Yes, you're right but I don't distinguish the difference. I believe NY has access to those records.

• Members

Yes, you're right but I don't distinguish the difference. I believe NY has access to those records.

Those are Federal forms - NYS authorities don't have any more access to those than as in any other state... Don't get me wrong - NY gun laws definetly DO suck, but let's not make things to seem any worse than they actually are...

BTW, I wouldn't trade NY gun laws for those in Maryland...

- georgestrings

Archived