US most heavily armed nation on earth!!! Umm, duh....

Ender_rpm

• Members

Those are Federal forms - NYS authorities don't have any more access to those than as in any other state... Don't get me wrong - NY gun laws definetly DO suck, but let's not make things to seem any worse than they actually are...

BTW, I wouldn't trade NY gun laws for those in Maryland...

- georgestrings

Understood.

Really? I have been lead to understand handguns are much easier to obtain/posses here. Not true?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Understood.

Really? I have been lead to understand handguns are much easier to obtain/posses here. Not true?

To my knowledge, Maryland has a very restricted list of new handguns that can be purchased - although I don't believe you're saddled with the licensing hassles we have here in NY for just owning handguns(not accounting for concealed carry)... I also believe there are other differences, regarding so-called "assault rifles", and standard capacity magazines...

Again, I could be wrong...

- georgestrings

• Members

Maryland, overall, has possibly the strictest laws overall in the US in regards to gun ownership.

To my knowledge, they're right up there with NJ, Ill,Mass, and Cali... NY's gun laws are no picnic, but I believe them to be more lenient than the aforementioned...

- georgestrings

• Members
And hopefully it will stay that way.
;)

I recently bought two shotguns (one for each hand
:p
) in NY and they had to be registered. {censored}in' Nanny state.
:rolleyes:

rifles and shot guns have to be registered in NYC.....

there are 62 counties in NY, on 5 require rifles or shotguns to be registered...thats not as bad as people make it out to be.

try getting a CC in MARYland.......

• Members
I believe it has more to do with the virtually insurmountable geographical challenges of invading the United States (like, an ocean on each side, a desert below and freezing climates above) than everyone having weapons when it comes to America never having had foreign troops on its soil since way back when. Everyone and his dog owned firearms in Cyprus in 1974, didn't make much of a difference when Turkey invaded. Same with many other countries that have been invaded. Having a few guns in your closet and a strong belief in freedom isn't going to stop a nation of 80 million (Germany) invading your country of 10 million (Holland) over a simple land border. Think that Dutch people don't really care about their independance? Ok, how about the Greeks then? No one would dare deny their fierce pride in such matters. They beat back Italy's invasion attempt, but that was more to do with Italian incompetance. When the Germans came to clear up the mess, resistance didn't last very long; again, 80 million v.s. 10 million and a relatively simple crossing from Albania. And in a rural society like it was back then, everyone owned shotguns and hunting rifles.

Never underestimate the importance of geography in such matters.

Please don't tell me you take that film even remotely seriously
:freak:

the Geo points are wll taken.

but dont forget either the Americans in the revolutionary war were massively outnumbered by the British and lacked formal military training andd we kicked their asses so will sometimes beats out numbers.

no, I dont necessarily take the movie seriously but the will and patriotism of Americans far exceeds that of most others when defending freedom

• Members
Understood.

NOT true.

my cousin who lives in Glen Burnie had to give up his permit when he decided not to be a Secret service agent.......this kid is so clean he sqeaks and they denied him :rolleyes:

• Members

NY'er here - and short of NYC, I've never heard of ANY long gun needing to be registered here in NY... Now, if you're saying you had to fill out a yellow sheet to purchase one from an FFL holder - that's the same as in any other state...

- georgestrings

YEP.....

• Members
Those are Federal forms - NYS authorities don't have any more access to those than as in any other state... Don't get me wrong - NY gun laws definetly DO suck, but let's not make things to seem any worse than they actually are...

BTW, I wouldn't trade NY gun laws for those in Maryland...

- georgestrings

got to agree again

:D

• Members
but dont forget either the Americans in the revolutionary war were massively outnumbered by the British and lacked formal military training andd we kicked their asses so will sometimes beats out numbers.

Well, when your opponent likes to wear bright red uniforms and march down the middle of the road banging on a bunch of drums things get a whole lot easier. ;)

• Members
Neither has Britain, or Canada, or Australia... oops! So much for that argument.

Well... Canada for pretty much the same reasons as the US.

Britain came damn close in WW2, as did Australia. About the only thing that kept it from happening was the courage of the brits and aussies, and oh yeah, Americans with guns :)

• Members

Britain came damn close in WW2, as did Australia. About the only thing that kept it from happening was the courage of the brits and aussies, and oh yeah, Americans with guns
:)

The US victory @ Coral Sea prevented the Japanese from establishing naval supremacy in that area and put plans for the invasion of Australia on hold. Of course, the tide of the war turned a few months later @ Midway and the invasion of Oz completely dropped off the plans.

The planned invasion of Britain by Germany (by way of .... France.... ) was delayed and eventually dropped because of a rather stubborn RAF and Hitler's strategic blunder of invading the USSR. Of course it can be argued that the US played a part in keeping the Germans out of the UK by keeping our ports available for British trade so they can support their war industries.

• Members

Neither has Britain, or Canada, or Australia... oops! So much for that argument.

canada is too {censored}ing cold, the Germans learned that the hard way in Russia...Twice!

Austrailia takes too long to get to

and I believe that the Germans were in England in WWII...not 100% sure

• Members

Britain came damn close in WW2, as did Australia. About the only thing that kept it from happening was the courage of the brits and aussies, and oh yeah, Americans with guns
:)

Lets not forget that about the top 2/3rds of Australia is desert.. I think the theory here is, anyone dumb enough to try and invade us is welcome to try their hand surviving up north, we'll all just retreat to the south! Nuthin up there we want anyway!

• Members

Lets not forget that about the top 2/3rds of Australia is desert.. I think the theory here is, anyone dumb enough to try and invade us is welcome to try their hand surviving up north, we'll all just retreat to the south! Nuthin up there we want anyway!

This is why I wonder why Australia would be invaded. Are there extremely resource-heavy areas that would be worth taking over in Oz?

• Members

This is why I wonder why Australia would be invaded. Are there extremely resource-heavy areas that would be worth taking over in Oz?

We have got a {censored}LOAD of uranium.. Oops, that might be up top..

If any one is gonna invade it would be Indonesia (apparently)

• Members

and I believe that the Germans were in England in WWII...not 100% sure

Completely and totally untrue.

The massively outnumbered Royal Air Force decisively beat Goering's Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain. This was before America's involvement in the war. In the wake of their massive defeat, Operation Sea Lion (the Nazi plan to invade Britain) was decided to be unfeasible and the plans were scrapped.

"Never has so much been owed by so many, to so few." - Winston Churchill

The last time the British Isles were invaded and conquered was in 1066 by William I.

So there :D

Archived