Fine tuning the Rickenbacker.

Undead Sycip

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use the forum to express my opinions, share my impressions and help people get the most out of the instruments they play by helping them understand how they work and how they can be manipulated. What I personally find to be completely unhelpful is fan boy threads that do nothing to further an understanding of the instruments and present unsupported blanket assessments.

Here are two examples from the top of the thread:

What happens when a bassist that hasn't had a chance to play a Ric yet, but thinks they are basses he might want to try out reads these posts? He says to himself, "I like playing other basses, if Rics are nothing like other basses, maybe I won't like a Ric." But then he stops and wonders how on earth Rics aren't like other basses. Let's see, 4 strings? Check. Approximately the same scale length? Check. Magnetic pickups? Check? Volume and tone controls? Check. Wooden body and neck? Check. On and on. Where are these incredible differences?

The reality is the biggest differences are things that make the Ric less practical. Non-contoured body. Lack of adjustability. A truss rod system that creates more potential problems than it solves.

The bottom line is they are fantastic basses and the handiwork employed in manufacturing them puts them on par with other high quality instruments, especially in the areas of finish and fretwork. However, the unexplained hype of uniqueness does nothing to further anyone's understanding or appreciation of the instrument.

For me the main differences:

Neck-thru with all maple body = brighter than normal sound. I think Spector is the only other major company with this setup.

Neck width = odd compared to the Fender world with a narrower bridge but wide Pbass sized nut giving a more "parallel" feel to the strings.

pups - not as significant to the sound as a lot of people think. I've heard 2 different rics that had the classic ric sound but had pups swapped with J bass pups. Pup position probably means more.

• Moderators

For me the main differences:

Neck-thru with all maple body = brighter than normal sound. I think Spector is the only other major company with this setup.

Neck width = odd compared to the Fender world with a narrower bridge but wide Pbass sized nut giving a more "parallel" feel to the strings.

pups - not as significant to the sound as a lot of people think. I've heard 2 different rics that had the classic ric sound but had pups swapped with J bass pups. Pup
position
probably means more.

Thanks for your intelligent and thoughtful response.

• Moderators

Yep - everything flat on the amp, everything fully open on the bass. Bridge pickup soloed on the Ric.

Well, there ya go, changing things! Sure, if I want my Ric to sound like a P, as best it can, that's exactly what I do. If I want it to sound like a Ric, I run both pickups. I'm sure I could tell the difference.

• Moderators

Well, there ya go, changing things! Sure, if I want my Ric to sound like a P, as best it can, that's exactly what I do. If I want it to sound like a Ric, I run both pickups. I'm sure I could tell the difference.

Let's not get distracted by minutia or arguments. My point is that there is nothing about a Rickenbacker that makes is wildly different from all other basses. Every bass is unique. There is no greater a difference between any of a P, a J, a Stingray, an Alembic, etc. than there is between a Ric and the other basses. Ric discussions tend to include unexplained hyperbole that Rics are unlike anything you've ever played before. That is misleading and unhelpful.

• Members

Ric discussions tend to include unexplained hyperbole that Rics are unlike anything you've ever played before. That is misleading and unhelpful.

True.

However, I do think you'd get a somewhat different sound from a Rick running both pickups than you would from a P. Trying to make the Ric sound similar to the P defeats the purpose of the comparison, IMHO.

• Moderators

The point of that comparison would have been that they can't be so far different from anything else you've ever played when, with the flick of a factory installed switch, you can get indistinguishable tones.

Both pickups on does sound different, but that tone is gross. ;)

• Members
The point of that comparison would have been that they can't be so far different from anything else you've ever played when, with the flick of a factory installed switch, you can get indistinguishable tones.

Both pickups on does sound different, but that tone is gross.
;)

But the Rick can do things that the P can't, yes?

;)

• Moderators

Ah, yes and vice versa. Stop being an instigator and tell me I'm right. I already know you think it. :p

You didn't see me trying to talk smack about you wearing a skirt with hairy legs and all that.... Did people not immediately see that it was your leg, folder under at the knee upon which the preamp was resting?

• Members

Both pickups on does sound different, but that tone is gross.
;)

Both pickups on does sound different, but that tone is gross

thats how I play it all the time! :p

lol

• Members
Let's not get distracted by minutia or arguments. My point is that there is nothing about a Rickenbacker that makes is wildly different from all other basses. Every bass is unique. There is no greater a difference between any of a P, a J, a Stingray, an Alembic, etc. than there is between a Ric and the other basses. Ric discussions tend to include unexplained hyperbole that Rics are unlike anything you've ever played before. That is misleading and unhelpful.

Ric discussions tend to include unexplained hyperbole that Rics are unlike anything you've ever played before. That is misleading and unhelpful.

I dont know what hyoerbole is but there is an unexplained Vibe from a Ric that "I" get as does most other Ric players who's primary bass is a Ric.

that doesnt mean other basses are inferior as some hard core Ric people will make you feel but they are a unique and different bass. there really is no arguing that.

I cannot tell you how many times I have gone to Jam with new people and they are like "wow a ric" can I touch it, like it is the holy grail or something....I mean I think it is pretty hot and special ...

will it do something a J or a P or a soundgear or BC Rich cant?..... no not really.
does it have a unique sound that cannot really be replicated by another bass? I think so but I dont expect other people to believe that or but into it.

I am really liking the J copy I just got. I have had a 68 P a 67 Gibson EB-O and some 90's Aria Pro and as far as I am concerned the Ric and the J are very unique in their feel and sound.....like no other bass I have ever played...:D

• Moderators
as far as I am concerned the Ric and the J are very unique in their feel and sound.....like no other bass I have ever played...
:D

Absolutely. Each bass is unique and different. But Rics aren't off in some separate stratosphere. What pisses me off is their marketing hype. In the owner's manual they talk about how the neck of a Rickenbacker sets up flatter than other basses. Oh really? It doesn't unless you mean basses that have not had their frets leveled. Rics still follow the same laws of physics that dictate proper relief as every other bass. It's the same mentality that has them continuing to use double truss rods when their own service department recognizes it causes more problems than it solves.

• Moderators

I want sure but I am not arguing with you or angry with anything you have said.....justa friendly debate...which you are wrong about but still friendly lol

I can be wrong. I'm almost always friendly. I enjoy conversation where there is disagreement because I think it more often leads to informative ideas being put to paper (screen) than any love fest ever does.

• Members

I can be wrong. I'm almost always friendly. I enjoy conversation where there is disagreement because I think it more often leads to informative ideas being put to paper (screen) than any love fest ever does.

I hear that.... as long as some asshole doesnt just start flaming because he ran out of civil conversation....I enjoy a good debate of Ideas and opinions....

• Members

They are. So are Chris's Daion. So is Oz's Alembic. So is Brian's 15 lb pink jazz bass or JAF. So are Tom's LeComptes. So is Karl's Jerzy Drzod. Rics are no more different than any other bass.

Absolutely. Each bass is unique and different. But Rics aren't off in some separate stratosphere. What pisses me off is their marketing hype. In the owner's manual they talk about how the neck of a Rickenbacker sets up flatter than other basses. Oh really? It doesn't unless you mean basses that have not had their frets leveled. Rics still follow the same laws of physics that dictate proper relief as every other bass. It's the same mentality that has them continuing to use double truss rods when their own service department recognizes it causes more problems than it solves.

you know what? {censored} you...lol

really you know what? I dont know nuttin about all that physics and building bull{censored}. I do not know anything about Ric's marketing hype. I have hear stories about all basses having twisted or warped necks....never saw that with my own eyes.....manufacturing defects aside, you need to take care of your "wooden" instrument

I know I love my Ric. loved it 21 years before I had it.loved it the first time I saw one in '79 without even touching it. never touched one till 2000. loved it even more when I got my hands on my own.it is the one that works for me

on the other hand I am really diggin the J I just got. never Played a J ever till about a month and a half ago....

thats what I know....

Archived