Fine tuning the Rickenbacker.

Undead Sycip

• Members

What strings came with this?

They seem to be overly sensitive to changes in attack. One moment I am bright and clanky, the next I'm back in the mix. All with no changes in playing position. I can clean it up if I pay attention but then I won't be able to rock out :p I'm thinking a good set of flats will bring out the Ric tone without the wild variances.

What do you Ric folks think of Daddo Chromes on this baby?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do not find wild variances with the stock Ric strings on my 4003.

I get the tone that goes with the method of how I am playing it at the time.

amp settings are a factor. I have found that if I have too much treble and attack hard I could get an unpleasant sound butn sometimes thats the intent.

give yourself a few days of playing the new Ric to get used to it , it is different than anything else you have ever played

• Members

I do not find wild variances with the stock Ric strings on my 4003.

I get the tone that goes with the method of how I am playing it at the time.

amp settings are a factor. I have found that if I have too much treble and attack hard I could get an unpleasant sound but sometimes thats the intent.

give yourself a few days of playing the new Ric to get used to it , it is different than anything else you have ever played

I agree with this post. Playing a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 is not like playing any other bass. Once you get used to playing these basses and they become like a part of you, nothing else compares.

• Moderators

I get confused by the Ric crew. I'm sitting within 10 feet of 13 different basses (not all mine, but this beautiful pink beast will be sitting on my couch for at least a week), one of them is a Ric. Other than a lack of adjustability compared to standard basses and the ridiculously impractical double truss rod system, there is no significant difference between the Ric and the other basses. Every bass is unique and Rics are no more different than any other. :confused:

• Members

I get confused by the Ric crew. I'm sitting within 10 feet of 13 different basses (not all mine, but this beautiful pink beast will be sitting on my couch for at least a week), one of them is a Ric. Other than a lack of adjustability compared to standard basses and the ridiculously impractical double truss rod system, there is no significant difference between the Ric and the other basses. Every bass is unique and Rics are no more different than any other.
:confused:

Hype.

;)

• Members

Yeah bassment zombie, I order the Ric replacements also. I remember reading that the Ric CEO sorta hintingly admitted they were made by S.I.T.

Somebody at S.I.T. also acknowledged their Power Wounds are what Ric uses. I wanted to try and compare, but cannot find them here in Central Fl.

I've been meaning to order some online and give 'em a try.

• Members

Most companies that sell strings get them from a manufacturer and just put them in their own packaging.

Kindness, I realize that Ricks are not for everyone, but how can you explain that the double truss rod system is ridiculously impractical and why would even other manufacturers have gone to doing the same, especially with their multi string basses? My Ibanez BTB has dual truss rods, even my Carlo Robelli 12 string has them.

• Members

Trying NOT to remove the pup cover so the playing positions are limited for me. Right in front of the bridge pup (strings feel too floppy) or immediately behind it (strings feel too tight). I can't gallop worth a damn on it right now.

most people take that off, I have mine on because I think it just belongs there ,it looks good and gives me no issues with playing. I play between the neck and bridge P/U with no trouble. If it is giving you trouble finding a place to play then take it off.

I dont play too close to the bridge on any bass, I dont like the odd muffled tone that comes from playing down there.

• Members

I really want to keep the guard on but I'll try this. At least it doesn't leave me with that sharp edged hole. I think I can also mount a thumbrest on this. I'll drill a cone shaped hole from behind the clear piece so the screw threads will stick out in front. I'll use flushed screws to attach the rest onto the guard.

• Moderators

and why would even other manufacturers have gone to doing the same, especially with their multi string basses? My Ibanez BTB has dual truss rods, even my Carlo Robelli 12 string has them.

Marketing. End of story. If you don't believe me, go to your local luthier and ask him the same question. :thu:

• Members

Well I found out that I don't have anymore Daddo Chromes so she now wears EB flats and that seemed to even out variances in my playing style. I lost a bit of the bite though. Anyhoo, between the string change and being able to play over the rear pup by removing the cover, it sounds like me again.

Found out that the Ric nut won't take a .70 or thicker "A" string without filing the slot. Easy enough to do with a mini file set. I made sure I cut the width only and not the depth. Also had to adjust string height via the allen screws on the bridge. Speaking of bridge, that damned thing falls out when all the strings are removed.

I also ordered the Pickguardian because I tend to smack my fingertips onto the sharp edges of the pup plate when I am slamming on the "E" string.

This is a strange, strange bass but I like it.

• Members

I get confused by the Ric crew. I'm sitting within 10 feet of 13 different basses (not all mine, but this beautiful pink beast will be sitting on my couch for at least a week), one of them is a Ric. Other than a lack of adjustability compared to standard basses and the ridiculously impractical double truss rod system, there is no significant difference between the Ric and the other basses. Every bass is unique and Rics are no more different than any other.
:confused:

What's your point?

Edit: I'm serious btw. I really don't understand.

• Members

Well I found out that I don't have anymore Daddo Chromes so she now wears EB flats and that seemed to even out variances in my playing style. I lost a bit of the bite though. Anyhoo, between the string change and being able to play over the rear pup by removing the cover, it sounds like me again.

Found out that the Ric nut won't take a .70 or thicker "A" string without filing the slot. Easy enough to do with a mini file set. I made sure I cut the width only and not the depth. Also had to adjust string height via the allen screws on the bridge. Speaking of bridge, that damned thing falls out when all the strings are removed.

I also ordered the Pickguardian because I tend to smack my fingertips onto the sharp edges of the pup plate when I am slamming on the "E" string.

This is a strange, strange bass but I like it.

Dude,

you are having way to many issues with this bass. Me thinks it is mostly psychological.....lol

most people get a Ric and feel like they found their long lost friend...

what did you play before getting the Ric?

• Members

The best sounding necks are those without truss rods. Even better are those with non-adjustable reinforcement. Without any voids, counter-tension or moving parts, they produce just phenomenally clear and wonderful tone. A compromise in tone is made for the benefit of adjustability; enter the adjustable truss rod. The more moving parts, the worse it gets, the bigger the voids, the greater the dampening, the more problems that are likely to appear. The worst part is, truss rod adjustments are often required simply because of the instability created by the truss rod itself. The double truss rod system creates more problems than it solves. Not only does it magnify the problems associated with standard truss rods, it actually encourages a much greater chance of twisting a neck due to uneven counter tension. Ever wonder why Ric doesn't include truss rod adjustment tools with their basses? I called customer support to figure out why. It didn't take long to get the real answer - people tend to mess their Rics up.

Marketing. End of story. If you don't believe me, go to your local luthier and ask him the same question.
:thu:

you were a lot of help to me and your setup thread is fantastic and will help lots of other people. I respect your methods and points of view till now

what the fuck are you talking about?

:D

I am not trying to insult you but I am not getting this....

• Members

Dude,

you are having way to many issues with this bass. Me thinks it is mostly psychological.....lol

most people get a Ric and feel like they found their long lost friend...

what did you play before getting the Ric?

Nah. I don't want to adapt to it is all. I want it to adapt to me.

It has a thumbrest over the rear pup now. Look!:thu:

ricthumbrest

I noticed that the pup cover is plastic (and is but a $15.00 part). I CUT (YES CUT!) one end off, smoothed it up, reassembled it into the bridge pup assembly and voila! Thumbrest. Sometimes I surprise myself.

Archived