Fine tuning the Rickenbacker.

Undead Sycip

• Members

Nah. I don't want to adapt to it is all. I want it to adapt to me.

It has a thumbrest over the rear pup now. Look!
:thu:

ricthumbrest

I noticed that the pup cover is plastic (and is but a $15.00 part). I CUT (YES CUT!) one end off, smoothed it up, reassembled it into the bridge pup assembly and voila! Thumbrest. Sometimes I surprise myself.

we are going to have to request you return that fine bass before you butcher it up anymore :mad:

lol

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The best sounding necks are those without truss rods. Even better are those with non-adjustable reinforcement. Without any voids, counter-tension or moving parts, they produce just phenomenally clear and wonderful tone. A compromise in tone is made for the benefit of adjustability; enter the adjustable truss rod. The more moving parts, the worse it gets, the bigger the voids, the greater the dampening, the more problems that are likely to appear. The worst part is, truss rod adjustments are often required simply because of the instability created by the truss rod itself. The double truss rod system creates more problems than it solves. Not only does it magnify the problems associated with standard truss rods, it actually encourages a much greater chance of twisting a neck due to uneven counter tension. Ever wonder why Ric doesn't include truss rod adjustment tools with their basses? I called customer support to figure out why. It didn't take long to get the real answer - people tend to mess their Rics up.

Marketing. End of story. If you don't believe me, go to your local luthier and ask him the same question.

I don't know..Pete Hanewinckel puts a truss rod in all his basses and double truss rods in anything over 6 strings. He knows his shit too. But I can see your point, definitely.

Dan

• Moderators

What's your point?

Edit: I'm serious btw. I really don't understand.

Most Ric players and the Ric literature itself tends to portray the instrument as being unique in form and function. So much so that you have to change the very way you approach setting up the instrument for playability. It's simply not true. That was my point.

• Moderators

you were a lot of help to me and your setup thread is fantastic and will help lots of other people. I respect your methods and points of view till now

what the fuck are you talking about?

:D

I am not trying to insult you but I am not getting this....

I'm not insulted. I was asked to explain why I think the double truss rod system that Rickenbacker uses is ridiculously impractical. I first explained why truss rods are inherently a compromise and then explained that the double truss rod system increases the severity of problems associated with truss rods while also adding a new one, potential torsional forces.

• Moderators

I don't know..Pete Hanewinckel puts a truss rod in all his basses and double truss rods in anything over 6 strings. He knows his {censored} too. But I can see your point, definitely.

Dan

He does know his {censored}. He uses truss rods for good reason, but it doesn't mean that it is a compromise in some manner. As for his double truss rods, there is a much greater need for dual truss rods when the neck increases in widths, such as with a 6 string or above. However, my point is that there is no need for a dual rod system in a Ric 4 string neck.

• Members

FYI - I'm not unfairly criticizing an instrument I don't like. There will never be a time that I don't have a Ric in my stable.

You sure could have fooled me!

I'm not crazy over Fender instruments, but I have a Precision, just because it seems like one one of those "must haves" in a collection of basses. If I wasn't crazy over Rickenbacker, I'd still have at least one, for the same reason...and I'm not sitting in on Fender threads mentioning reasons why I don't like them.

• Moderators

Playing a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 is not like playing any other bass. Once you get used to playing these basses and they become like a part of you, nothing else compares.

What happens when a bassist that hasn't had a chance to play a Ric yet, but thinks they are basses he might want to try out reads these posts? He says to himself, "I like playing other basses, if Rics are nothing like other basses, maybe I won't like a Ric." But then he stops and wonders how on earth Rics aren't like other basses. Let's see, 4 strings? Check. Approximately the same scale length? Check. Magnetic pickups? Check? Volume and tone controls? Check. Wooden body and neck? Check. On and on. Where are these incredible differences?

The reality is the biggest differences are things that make the Ric less practical. Non-contoured body. Lack of adjustability. A truss rod system that creates more potential problems than it solves.

The bottom line is they are fantastic basses and the handiwork employed in manufacturing them puts them on par with other high quality instruments, especially in the areas of finish and fretwork. However, the unexplained hype of uniqueness does nothing to further anyone's understanding or appreciation of the instrument.

• Members

It's alright BDG. Most Ric owners aren't quasi OCD like me.
Get one. You'll like it.

Most Ric owners aren't quasi OCD like me.

yes we are lol

go over to Ric resouce sometime and see what a true Ric fanatic is like. some of these guys have so many Rics and treat them like the holy grail it will make your head spin...lol

• Members

The Ric sounded very good at a small gig we did for a friend in their garage last night.

While I had all my FX, most of the night it was just

Ric > Dave Hall OD > SWR 350X+Avatar 115.

Just like all Rics, it settled into a spot where you can hear the angry growl just above the kick drum and just below two Strats.

My ghetto thumbrest worked well.:thu:

Here we are during soundcheck.

frankrictoo

• Members

The Ric sounded very good at a small gig we did for a friend in their garage last night.

While I had all my FX, most of the night it was just

Ric > Dave Hall OD > SWR 350X+Avatar 115.

Just like all Rics, it settled into a spot where you can hear the angry growl just above the kick drum and just below two Strats.

My ghetto thumbrest worked well.

Here we are during soundcheck.

frankrictoo

glad you got to jam with it and enjoyed it.

because of that pic I just checked where I put my thumb when I play.

I usually rest my thumb on the neck pup or the edge of the pick guard if not just on the body itself. that also depends on what I am playing. I like the sound I get playing between the 2 pickups closer to the neck P/U rather than where you are playing. I sometimes like to play above the neck P/U also for a more thuddy sound.

I also notice you have the bridge p/u off and are playing far away from the neck pup that affects tone as well.

the more you play it the more you will find different places to play and create different sounds.

I keep both my pickup on all the time , I love the mix.

have fun with it

• Members

I use the forum to express my opinions, share my impressions and help people get the most out of the instruments they play by helping them understand how they work and how they can be manipulated. What I personally find to be completely unhelpful is fan boy threads that do nothing to further an understanding of the instruments and present unsupported blanket assessments.

Here are two examples from the top of the thread:

What happens when a bassist that hasn't had a chance to play a Ric yet, but thinks they are basses he might want to try out reads these posts? He says to himself, "I like playing other basses, if Rics are nothing like other basses, maybe I won't like a Ric." But then he stops and wonders how on earth Rics aren't like other basses. Let's see, 4 strings? Check. Approximately the same scale length? Check. Magnetic pickups? Check? Volume and tone controls? Check. Wooden body and neck? Check. On and on. Where are these incredible differences?

The reality is the biggest differences are things that make the Ric less practical. Non-contoured body. Lack of adjustability. A truss rod system that creates more potential problems than it solves.

The bottom line is they are fantastic basses and the handiwork employed in manufacturing them puts them on par with other high quality instruments, especially in the areas of finish and fretwork. However, the unexplained hype of uniqueness does nothing to further anyone's understanding or appreciation of the instrument.

Rics are nothing like other basses as there is nothing like a Fender P bass

nothing like a Fender Jazz bass & nothing like a Gibson EB-0.

everything else is just a copy of the original designs or some bastardized version of it or some ugly ass-- ran out of Ideas--- lets just see if this sells looking things like the thumb bass or whatever.

Fender P and J being the most common Bass for recorded music because almost no one has any trouble playing them.

I find my Ric more of a better fit for me than anyother type of bass.

although the SX Jazz I just got feels real good to me. doesnt sound nearly as good as the Ric to me but it sure is fun to play.

some one reading the posts might be having trouble feeling comfortable with other basses and may think that because "rics are not like any other bass" might be right for them.

the glass is half full half empty argument...its how you see it

• Moderators

Rics are nothing like other basses as there is nothing like a Fender P bass

If I recorded the same bassline played with both my Ric and one of my Ps, would you be able to hear which was played on which bass? Let me give you a hint, the answer is no. :thu:

• Members

If I recorded the same bassline played with both my Ric and one of my Ps, would you be able to hear which was played on which bass? Let me give you a hint, the answer is no.

I'm thinking it's time for a little ABX action.

I'd be interested to see who could tell the difference consistently.

• Moderators

I'm thinking it's time for a little ABX action.

I'd be interested to see who could tell the difference consistently.

BroM and I had some good laughs last night messing around with the box of goodies you dropped off last night. His impression of snake oil selling is hysterical.

• Members

If I recorded the same bassline played with both my Ric and one of my Ps, would you be able to hear which was played on which bass? Let me give you a hint, the answer is no.

I think you are missing what we are saying.

maybe it is a feel and vibe thing. :idk:

as to a side by side, I can plug my Ric into the same amp with the same settings after having a P or a J pluged into it and hear the difference.

anyone can adjust an amps settings to make them sound similar.

• Members

Nah. I don't want to adapt to it is all. I want it to adapt to me.

It has a thumbrest over the rear pup now. Look!

I noticed that the pup cover is plastic (and is but a $15.00 part). I CUT (YES CUT!) one end off, smoothed it up, reassembled it into the bridge pup assembly and voila! Thumbrest. Sometimes I surprise myself.

That's exactly what I intend to do with mine. I need to smooth out those points on the mounting plate too. :)

Now where's my chainsaw !! :mad: :mad:

Archived