Recommendation: Bass Cab Mic

Thunderbroom

• Members

The mic I see requested most often for bass amps is a Sennheiser 421. I've looked through old riders from some biggish bands, and many of them have requested this one. I've never tried it out myself, but the 421 should be able to handle a low B. It can also double as a kick drum mic in a pinch. You would need a stand with it though.

+1! I have clips if you want to hear them... PM me if you do...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm about to possibly switch too, as I just love the punch my Henry gives me. :)

The 421 is too nice/expensive to throw in a gigbag and/or get lost.

Going to look at the A6 and Beta 52A, as I see those used a lot and aren't terribly expensive.

• Members

I told Jeff when he picked up the cabinet that he should just throw a Countryman between the output and the cabinet.

Are you sure that's what you said because that's NOT what I heard?

I swear I heard you say to run the Countryman in front of the head (not after). That's the whole reason I started thinking about a mic this week as I figured there was a reason for you not suggesting putting the Countryman between the amp and cab.

• Moderators

That's too bad, T-Broom. I'd still like to know the answer, so I PM'd him anyway.
:cool:

So as I expected, I've already heard back from Audiopile (Mark). Great guy to deal with. As I had guessed, the -30 dB switch in the EWI active DI box is what you would use to take speaker level DI. They are capable of doing so. From a value standpoint the EWI active DI is now on my list instead of the Countryman. $50 plus shipping.

• Moderators

Are you sure that's what you said because that's NOT what I heard?

In response to "what would Kindness do?" I said I'd put the DI in front of the head. In response to "how would you get the sound of the bass head to the board?" I said put it in between the amp and cab. Two totally different questions. I do remember trying to talk you into doing what I'd do, so we definitely spent more time talking about the DI in front of the head. :)

• Members

632866102626230770.jpg

I use one of these for guitar, I'd imagine it would work for bass too. The "4x12 cab sim" is just a high end roll off, but if you are trying to capture the tubey grind, it'll keep the high end from getting frazzy. It goes between head and cab, and really does sound quite good. But its a B#$%(*^!@, so YMMV :)

• Moderators

Do the soundguys run up to the guitards and take a pre signal off their pedalboards? No. So then why should any bassist accept it? If your searing some power tubes, there's no friggin' way that a pre DI signal is going to reflect that at a soundboard. As an audience member I want to hear what you sound like, not what a soundguy would sound like if he was a bass player.

• Members

Do the soundguys run up to the guitards and take a pre signal off their pedalboards? No. So then why should any bassist accept it? If your searing some power tubes, there's no friggin' way that a pre DI signal is going to reflect that at a soundboard. As an audience member I want to hear what you sound like, not what a soundguy would sound like if he was a bass player.

My bass tone is my bass. My amp is my stage monitor.

• Members

If I had a post of the day/month/year, I'd give it right here!

:thu:

• Members

Provided you prefer a clean signal and your amp is clean that would be somewhat true. If the tubes are burning up there's no way a pre DI signal to the board reflects that.

Yes, if your talking tube amps then totally right. :)

I was answering your question of why should any bassist accept a pre signal for FOH. I more than accept it. I require it. My tone is me and my bass. I would gladly play with no amp if there was a PA set up that could allow me my own monitor mix with bass in it.

• Members

You sound like The Ox. Reality check: no-one in the audience gives a {censored} what you sound like. They just want to:

1: Hear something

2: Get {censored}faced

3: Get lucky

:wave:

• Members

I was answering your question of why should any bassist accept a pre signal for FOH. I more than accept it. I require it. My tone is me and my bass. I would gladly play with no amp if there was a PA set up that could allow me my own monitor mix with bass in it.

Me too. If you've been playing long enough, play a great sounding bass, and are into a clean tone, an amp is like an appendix when there's monitors and PA support.

• CMS Author

Provided you prefer a clean signal and your amp is clean that would be somewhat true. If the tubes are burning up there's no way a pre DI signal to the board reflects that.

Bass ain't guitar in this aspect any more than it is in any other, and they aren't handled the same in the PA. You need both a pre- and a post-amp feed for bass. You then can mix it from FOH to get a good venue tone. Typically the stage amp sound is way too muddy and has too much tube or other distortion for FOH, so having a clean instrument signal lets you get the right tone without resorting to excessive EQ.

• Moderators

Power tube clipping is not a signal I sent to FOH without a clean signal to blend. For the vast majority of my live performances, I am with Catphish and Tony and Bassgeek in that I send a clean DI signal to the board and that is my tone. When I want to blend signals to capture overdrive I use DI + mic.

• Moderators

You sound like The Ox. Reality check: no-one in the audience gives a {censored} what you sound like. They just want to:

1: Hear something

2: Get {censored}faced

3: Get lucky

:wave:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. :rolleyes:

Do you ever record the board mix? You would be surprised how the majority eq and mix you. Many of the bands I hear these days the soundguys are more interested in dub for the subs.

Archived