Recommendation: Bass Cab Mic

Thunderbroom

• Members
I don't see why the whirlwind wouldn't if it's rated for it (which it appears to be). I have some cheap ART pdb DI's, one of which I use on our guitarist's Princeton at speaker level. I noticed that the speaker level wasn't mentioned in Audiopile's description of those EWI units. I'm surprised they don't. Have you contacted Mark to verify that you can't use those DI's like that? Inquiring minds want to know.
:cool:

It's a moot point as I can't find my damned EWI box.
:(

I haven't used it in forever, so who know where it is. I probably left it somewhere.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Well, of course. That doesn't make any sense. The only thing I can think of is the fact that you're going to get some resonance in the clip (being attatched to a vibrating body would transfer those vibrations to a mic clipped to the cab, right?).

Yes. It's just a bad idea from the get go. I told Jeff when he picked up the cabinet that he should just throw a Countryman between the output and the cabinet. Then when he wanted a mic I suggested a SM57 close mic. Since he didn't want to carry a mic stand I looked for any reasonable solution and came up with none. I'm just not that smart... yet. :freak:

• Moderators
I dig. Point taken. No need to be upset. I've been hollered at for draping a mic on a cab. When this music thing is your only source of income, you do what you're told. I apologize for sharing my opinions and experience. In some circles, they're valued, believe it or not.

Hahaha. I value your input Tony. I have for years, I've just never taken the time to tell you. So there. :p

• Members
Yes. It's just a bad idea from the get go. I told Jeff when he picked up the cabinet that he should just throw a Countryman between the output and the cabinet. Then when he wanted a mic I suggested a SM57 close mic. Since he didn't want to carry a mic stand I looked for any reasonable solution and came up with none. I'm just not that smart... yet.
:freak:

Yeah. I personally prefer a mic on a stand to a DI (I use distortion and the sound of the cab is a part of my sound), and I love the D6 (I own 2, as a matter of fact) for that purpose, but I wouldn't ever mount one on a clip,

• Moderators

Of course not. Most frequency response ratings as far as loudspeakers go are pure fantasy.

What frequency do your headphones reproduce? 1kHz? That's over 13 inches. In any case, there is some frequency that your headphones are producing that is greater than the distance between the speaker and your ear and doesn't rely on psychoacoustics.

• Moderators
FWIW, that was exactly my point, Rev. I mentioned it only as a possible reason - I didn't say I was right.

I'm sorry if you thought I was bagging on you brake, it certainly looks like I was in my post. It was a tired sarcastic comment gone wrong. :bor:

• Members

What frequency do your headphones reproduce? 1kHz? That's over 13 inches. In any case, there is some frequency that your headphones are producing that is greater than the distance between the speaker and your ear and doesn't rely on psychoacoustics.

No, but I'm not really talking about the wavelength at this point, I'm talking about a 3" speakers ability to produce a 30hz tone at ANY volume resembling audible.

• Members

I was with you up to this point.

You lost me here.

Just me being tired and the flaws of internet communication. My point is that professional standards - enforced by soundmen and bandleaders do exist while they concurrently don't matter in some circumstances. Neither is better, they are just different.

• Moderators
No, but I'm not really talking about the wavelength at this point, I'm talking about a 3" speakers ability to produce a 30hz tone at ANY volume resembling audible.

I'm not following. :confused: Headphones often don't reproduce those frequencies at any appreciable level. How is that an issue? I'm using frequencies whose wavelengths are longer than the distance between the speaker and your ear and are reproduced by headphones to illustrate my point , by analogy, since I can't scope all of this out anymore without all the equipment I used to have, that you don't need a distance greater than or equal to the wavelength of the frequency between a source and a mic to pick up that frequency - which is a commonly held myth by people less informed than you.

• Moderators
Just me being tired and the flaws of internet communication. My point is that professional standards - enforced by soundmen and bandleaders do exist while they concurrently don't matter in some circumstances. Neither is better, they are just different.

Like rocking in shorts and a polo shirt. Some say: :cool: Others say: :freak:

• Members

I'd DI rather than drape a mic. I used an SM 57 on a stand to mic my cab last month, and it sounded just fine for a live club application where it was just feeding the monitor mix.

I used a Countryman DI tonight while we were recording a covers demo to shop around for gigs for my geezer band. We got bass and drums down live for the mix, and will add all the rest next week. I thought Franken P/J + Countryman = :love: It made even a duffer like me sound OK. :D

• Members
I'm not following.
:confused:
Headphones often don't reproduce those frequencies at any appreciable level. How is that an issue? I'm using frequencies whose wavelengths are longer than the distance between the speaker and your ear
and
are reproduced by headphones to illustrate my point , by analogy, since I can't scope all of this out anymore without all the equipment I used to have, that you don't need a distance greater than or equal to the wavelength of the frequency between a source and a mic to pick up that frequency - which is a commonly held myth by people less informed than you.

Certainly agree on that statement, but we're attacking completely different subjects here. I'm tired.

• Members

Kindness is so right here, it hurts. Sound waves 'develop' at their source (in this case the speaker cone). The length of the wave isn't an issue (unless you're dealing with standing waves, which really you don't want to be) since the wavefront is moving.

I'd stick with the DI. If you just want to get a versatile mic anyway, I'd recommend an SM57. If you wanted to get two, I'd additionally recommend an AKG C1000.

Archived