Recommendation: Bass Cab Mic

Thunderbroom

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Take it easy on him, he needs a nap:

No. No. I'm not busting on him. I'm simply clarifying. I agree with him and others to a point. There are plenty of players who prefer to simply send bass -----> DI to the board. If that's what satisfies you, that's the way it should be. I'm more than happy to work with a soundguy, but they are going to work with me.

• Members

No. No. I'm not busting on him. I'm simply clarifying. I agree with him and others to a point. There are plenty of players who prefer to simply send bass -----> DI to the board. If that's what satisfies you, that's the way it should be. I'm more than happy to work with a soundguy, but they are going to work with me.

yes, the thread's about tube amps. I should have assumed when you said "any bassist" you meant "any bassist who uses a tube amp", I suppose.

• Moderators

Bass ain't guitar in this aspect any more than it is in any other, and they aren't handled the same in the PA. You need both a pre- and a post-amp feed for bass. You then can mix it from FOH to get a good venue tone. Typically the stage amp sound is way too muddy and has too much tube or other distortion for FOH, so having a clean instrument signal lets you get the right tone without resorting to excessive EQ.

I go post in my own PA/Subs. I don't seem to have a problem and usually get plenty of compliments on the band mix. Too muddy or too much distortion is not my tone, but a bass does need a little bit of attack in the mix, not just dub. I know that you're an SVT guy, CraigV, so I wouldn't question that you know how to mix pre-post.

It's just like a band going to a mastering house and choosing them because they're good at giving them a certain sound. That engineer is good at a specific sound, because that's the tone in his/her head. If you're a metal band, you're not going to go to an engineer that excels at reggae. A sound guy is no different. The mix is what they want to hear and what they are accustomed to. That doesn't necessarily match what the band wants to present to the audience.

• Members

It's just like a band going to a mastering house and choosing them because they're good at giving them a certain sound. That engineer is good at a specific sound, because that's the tone in his/her head. If you're a metal band, you're not going to go to an engineer that excels at reggae. A sound guy is no different. The mix is what they want to hear and what they are accustomed to. That doesn't necessarily match what the band wants to present to the audience.

That's not necessarily true. A good engineer will always tailor the mix to suit the style of music and to reflect what the band actually sounds like. For example, I've mixed metal, rock, reggae, classical/choral and all sorts of trad as well as a ton of corporate stuff and I certainly don't approach the mixing the same way at all for the different types of music. People keep hiring me for all different types of music and events, so I must be doing something right. I've been told that I do have a signature sound and I suppose elements of my mixes are similar, but all I really want to do is convey the band's vibe to the audience, so my mix reflects the band's sound, no matter what the style.

• Members

To answer some of the other things:

1) The 40Hz -3dB point of the E609 isn't a problem. Most cabs don't put any appreciable level out below that anyway. You don't necessarily want all of that low end in your mic signal especially if you're going to mix it with a DI signal.

2) It's no problem to drape a mic like a 609 on a bass cab. That's because that's what they were designed to do. Draping mics like 57s or 421s doesn't work because in that position most of the sound is coming in way off the mic's ideal axis, which leads to frequency and phase anomalies and distortion. Try talking into the side of a 58 as opposed to straight onto the capsule.

3) As a sound engineer, I like to use a DI pre-everything and a mic on the cab. It gives me the best of all worlds. This even works for someone who wants a super clean tone. There's something about the interaction between a speaker and a mic that a DI just can't capture. Now there are lots of situations where I've gotten by on one or the other alone without any issues, of course. It's just another crayon in the box, really.

• Moderators
Yeah, but you're used to it, right?

There is an art to asking questions and listening when you want to learn and speaking when you already know. Being right doesn't make anyone smart, it just means they know the appropriate time to speak.

I am not someone that thinks he knows everything. In fact, quite the opposite.

Given those disclaimers, yes, I'm used to it. :thu:

• Members

So as I expected, I've already heard back from Audiopile (Mark). Great guy to deal with. As I had guessed, the -30 dB switch in the EWI active DI box is what you would use to take speaker level DI. They are capable of doing so. From a value standpoint the EWI active DI is now on my list instead of the Countryman. $50 plus shipping.

I have both an active and passive EWI box. I just found the active box!

I should flip the attenuator switch from 0db to -30db and then run a cable from my speaker out on my amp to the "input" on the box and then a cable from the "link output" to my cab.

Is this correct?

• Moderators

I have both an active and passive EWI box. I just found the active box!

I should flip the attenuator switch from 0db to -30db and then run a cable from my speaker out on my amp to the "input" on the box and then a cable from the "link output" to my cab.

Is this correct?

-30dB

Univox to 1/4" input

1/4" out to speaker

XLR out to board

Archived