Recommendation: Bass Cab Mic

Thunderbroom

• Members

I'm looking for a mic for my GB 212. Normally I run with the DI off of one of my GB heads but plan to use my Univox on Saturday. I could get a Countryman and put it between the head and cab I suppose but was thinking maybe a mic would be better. My preference would be for a mic that I can drape on the cabinet instead of having to use a mic stand.

Any recommendations?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The mic I see requested most often for bass amps is a Sennheiser 421. I've looked through old riders from some biggish bands, and many of them have requested this one. I've never tried it out myself, but the 421 should be able to handle a low B. It can also double as a kick drum mic in a pinch. You would need a stand with it though.

• Moderators

Same here.

What do you use for drum overheads?

Yo.

I had been using a triangulated setup, kick, overhead left, overhead right. I had been using Octava small diaphram condensers, but #1 they break all the time and #2 THEY BREAK ALL OF THE TIME. I haven't recorded live drums in about a year and a half so I currently am condenser mic free (unless you count all of the broken Octavas...). It is time to start looking though because I have a big project coming up soon and I want to get the tracking done well.

Any suggestions?

• Members

I think you could use something like this, too.

AdamAmpPR2030.jpg

Yo.

Adam Jones' rig???

I use an MD421...and my drummer uses it as a kick drum mic. It sounds really good. It's even got an adjustable thing on it to dial in certain frequencies. Its very versatile. Not a hanging mic though...sorrry.

• Members

Adam Jones' rig???

I use an MD421...and my drummer uses it as a kick drum mic. It sounds really good. It's even got an adjustable thing on it to dial in certain frequencies. Its very versatile. Not a hanging mic though...sorrry.

Hahah. I was thinking the small hanging mic stand.

Yo.

• Members

Why do you think a mic would be better?

I don't know that a mic would be better. I was thinking it "might" be better as in being a more versatile purchase. Since I already have a couple of DI's (but not one that will work inbetween the amp and cab), another DI purchase doesn't seem like a great idea.

• Members

Why is it okay to drape a mic on a guitar cabinet but apparently not okay on a bass cabinet.

Well, I'm just thinking from my recording (limited) experiences...mic's have a distance recommendation of a few inches for them to get peak performance without too much air being shoved into the mic...so personally, I'd rather put a stand out, move it back, and give myself some more headroom and save the life of the mic if possible.

Archived