recommend me strings

mister kyo

• Members

i'm a guitarist, but i play the bass in all the recordings i make. i recently sold my main bass cause i needed the money...so now, i'm trying to get my cheapy p-bass sound passable for recordings.

so here's the deal: i only play 4 string, E standard. it's only for recording direct. i play hardcore/punk music. i want bright, bright, bright tone, maybe even excessively bright. kind of clanky, metallic...basically i want my bass not to just add lowend to the mix, but to standout a little and be heard. i want them to last as long as possible, cause i'm not a rich man. i have no need for versatility, i don't care if they're goofy color coatings, etc, since i'm the only one who'll ever see it.

so, i'm thinking elixers would be the best bet...BUT, i have no idea what the best gauge would be considering it's always E standard. i don't really care how it feels to play it, since i won't be playing a lot, and the music i play is fairly easy...all i care about is the tone on the recording. i'm also open to any suggestions. all i know is that i've had regular DR and ernie ball strings on both basses, and while they got the job done, they didn't impress me after a few weeks, and were never really as bright as i'd like.

• Members

DR lo rider stainless steel. The SS will give you a nice and bright tone...much brighter than nickel. I say DR since most SS strings are very rough...the DR are not. They also have a great tension to them. My favorite strings by far! Very punchy as well.

I've played D'Addario & EB SS strings...they just plain hurt my fingers.

• Members

Personally I dont like elixers. Neither their sound nor feel. For brightest strings with excellent bass content to suggests Dean Markley blue steels. Rotosounds roundwounds are less bright then GHS & Ernie Ball so doesnt know why those are being suggested by some. I mainly use GHS, but also uses Rotosounds for basses that want less treble due to lots of maple (My BC Rich mockingbird bass has maple neck thru body with maple top on mahogany wings. So is allready on the bright side naturally and GHS where a tad more bright then wanted for it.

• Members

Rotosound RS66 Stainless steel roundwounds. Bright and zingy.

Ya know...there's a reason these have been around forever.

Just changed out the stock nickel strings on my new Peavey and....

SNAP!! Zing that cuts like a knife!:thu:

Definitely go with steels if you want zing!

Seems like a lot of guys here liking ProSteels. I may have to give em a go sometime. Actually I haven't bought a set of D'Addarios since tryin half rounds. I hated those.

• Members

Lots of pages here- so I'm answering based on the original post only: Dean Markeley Alchemy strings. $40+ a set, but very brite and lots of lively harmonics in 'em. Dont' bring the bass to a live punk show, 'cause they're GOLD and you'll instatnly forfeit your cred as a punk! :poke: :)

But they are very brite, yep.

Archived