Is This Offensive?

burdizzos

• Members

Last night at band practice we were working on a medley of When Doves Cry, Umbrella and Bitches ain't {censored}. After we finished the last song, my singer/guitarist goes into a punk version of Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangsta.

We go through a little bit of it and my drummer drops the veto on it citing the excessive use of the word "nigga". He didn't feel that a group of white dudes should do a song like that.

Then there was discussion of substituting "nigga" with "cracka", which I promptly vetoed as I think that's even more insulting.

My singer and I completely disagree with him, but we are honoring his point of view even though I think he is offended because he knows that he should be.

And yes, I pointed out that Bitches Ain't {censored} is far more offensive lyrically.

Am I wrong here?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, change it to 'wigga'. Jeez, some things are
soooo
obvious.

Again, what does that really accomplish?

By doing that, we are saying that we are too chicken{censored} to drop the N-bomb despite the fact that it is a well known song that is chocked full of it.

• Members

Again, what does that really accomplish?

By doing that, we are saying that we are too chicken{censored} to drop the N-bomb despite the fact that it is a well known song that is chocked full of it.

Nothing.

Just keep the N-word. If anyone asks why you kept the N-word, answer:

"It's in the interest of verisimilitude."

If that doesn't confuse them I don't know what will.

• Members

Nothing.

Just keep the N-word. If anyone asks why you kept the N-word, answer:

"It's in the interest of verisimilitude."

If that doesn't confuse them I don't know what will.

If some dude is looking to kick my ass for something I said, I know from experience that use of big words in an attempt to confuse NEVER works.

Especially if the guy has been to college. Then he'll say something like, "Oh yeah, white boy, well I keeps it real too." right before he starts beating me with my mic stand.

• Members

If some dude is looking to kick my ass for something I said, I know from experience that use of big words in an attempt to confuse NEVER works.

Especially if the guy has been to college. Then he'll say something like, "Oh yeah, white boy, well I keeps it real too." right before he starts beating me with my mic stand.

The reason for a college dude to beat you with a mic stand for something you said is completely beyond me :D

• Members

I play a good bit of GTA and St.s Row and they throw it around more then the rappers so my wife suggested a safer / friendlier word that could be used in everyday conversations . Now we have cats that act very gangsta sometimes so she suggested Tabby / tabbies :lol: Like this , yo what's up tabby , give me some weed you mutha f'n tabbies . That's my ho tabby , feel free to use it .

• Members

I know that there are people who don't get my band at some places we play. The people who realize that e don't take ourselves seriously do the same and have a great time. The people who honestly think that we put our heart and soul into our cover of Genie in a Bottle in an attempt to bring something artistically brilliant to the table deserve to have a miserable time.

While those people are in the extreme minority, I can see how some might be offended.

All but one person at the lesbian bar enjoyed our rendition of the Electric Six's Gay Bar, but that one chick was super pissed.

• Members

I would have no problem with doing it, although chances of running into an idiot audience member who doesn't comprehend it are quite high. Ben Folds used the word "nigga" in his cover of the same tune, so there is a precedent for it. I guess you won't find out until you try.

I use the word nigger all the time. For example, sometimes colored people are being unreasonably loud outside my apartment window. Since it happens quite often, I have no problem shouting "shut yer mouth nigger!" in my best southern backwoods accent. It usually quiets them up right away.

• Members

We had a song with the lyric "We know you're posin'/ahh nigga you ain't for real!" and nobody ever said anything. With the way Chase sings, only he and I would laugh during it cause only we could understand it! In almost 3+ years no one said anything.

What difference would it make if it were in one of our originals or a rap cover?

On a side note, my worship leader at church had this custom USA Charvel with a Dixie finish (I saw old pictures- it was unbelievable), but once a black guy said to him that's kind of offensive so he painted it red and put a Jesus sticker on it... I told him he was dumb. I still do til this day when he plays it Sunday mornings.

• Members

The difference is the number of times that it is used. Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangsta drops the terms 20 times.

I meant between an original or a cover. It just depends on your audience. In my part of the woods (literally) nobody would think twice about it.

• Members

I meant between an original or a cover. It just depends on your audience. In my part of the woods (literally) nobody would think twice about it.

I'd like to think that the people who come to see us would get it and those who are caught in the crossfire would take the songs as intended, but my faith in the general public's collective sense of humor takes hits on a daily basis.

• Members

I'd like to think that the people who come to see us would get it and those who are caught in the crossfire would take the songs as intended, but my faith in the general public's collective sense of humor takes hits on a daily basis.

I forgot where you live. Yeah, I'd see it as more of a problem for you. :)

Still, a cover is a cover IMO.

• Members

if i was black and heard an all white band dropping the N-bomb i would be pissed. regardless who's song you are covering. if i was drunk on top of it, throwing a bottle at the stage would not be out of the question.

id leave the N-bomb alone if i were you.

anyone that would be offended by that is a {censored}ing idiot. unfortunately, those are the type of people that are stupid enough to throw a bottle or start some {censored}.

Archived