Is This Offensive?

burdizzos

• Members

Ask yourself this... Would you play the song for a room full of black folks?

Abso{censored}inglutely! Depending on whether or not they were normal bar going type folks.

I would not play it in a room full of redneck bigots because they'd say things like, "That song y'all did 'bout them niggers was cool!"

I'd only want to play that song for people who would understand what we were doing.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
And every bar owner who hears us play probably spends ten minutes of the show uncomfortable the first time he hears us, but somehow, they keep inviting us back.

People laugh, drink and have a good time. That's the point of a bar band, to entertain. Like I said, a quarter of our shtick is comedy.

Well, I think you should keep doing songs that have the potential to be really offensive to someone or a group of someones. Since the bar owners keep asking you back, at some point you're going to cross a line where some of them won't. Until you push the envelope too far, you're not going to know where that line is.

• Members

Well, I think you should keep doing songs that have the potential to be really offensive to someone or a group of someones. Since the bar owners keep asking you back, at some point you're going to cross a line where some of them won't. Until you push the envelope too far, you're not going to know where that line is.

Booking managers and bar owners have a tendency to be brutally honest. They will let us know when we are within range of that line. In the meantime, I'll keep on keeping on. I need to start working on some more jokes. People really seem to enjoy comedy bits between songs.

• Members

Hey, if the music that tends to use the word is geared to be sold to and marketed towards the people that the word is supposed to be offensive to, then it has lost it's racial context in my mind. :cool:

When Black people started using it to fill in every word that means 'Guy' 'Dude' 'man' 'brother' 'friend' ...etc it can no longer be considered a bad word.:D

And since when have you been offended by being called a Cracker? I think its' funny as hell, it is not offensive to me. Hell, when have you ever been called a cracker? HOnkey square-assed massa cracker....... {censored}.......:poke:

• Members

Well, if it makes any difference, the majority of people who bought Dr Dre's "The Chronic" album were white. I'm assuming the same is true of the album the other song is on as well.

references? I don't believe that for a minute.

There's a new song that (the video) starts with someone calling someone else a nigger, and when the guys asks 'you callin' me nigger?' the guy responds 'no I said bigger'..... and it goes on from there, but I haven't heard any white guys playing the tune, the whole crew that I was working with this weekend were playing it over and over again (I was the only white guy on the crew).

• Members

references? I don't believe that for a minute.

I don't have a link, but it's actually not hard to believe.

The Black population of the United States was 30 million in 1992. The Chronic sold over 8 million copies. Unless 1/7 of the entire Black population of the US owned the record, the claim is reasonable. Considering well over half the Black population was either under 12 or over 35, if the claim is false, you'd be looking at an ownership rate of about 1/3 of every Black person 12-35 owning the record.

• Members
I would have no problem with doing it, although chances of running into an idiot audience member who doesn't comprehend it are quite high. Ben Folds used the word "nigga" in his cover of the same tune, so there is a precedent for it. I guess you won't find out until you try.

I use the word nigger all the time. For example, sometimes colored people are being unreasonably loud outside my apartment window. Since it happens quite often, I have no problem shouting "shut yer mouth nigger!" in my best southern backwoods accent. It usually quiets them up right away.

:D:lol::eek:

See what happens when you've been postiong here for eight years?;)

• Members

Instead of using "cracka" or "wigga", use "Canadian"..............it's a dirty little secret on one of the radio stations in the Detroit area that when the deejays are using the word "Canadian" they are really cracking jokes about the blacks that live in Detroit. Whites who know about it find it extremely funny. The blacks don't have a clue because no one told them, and everyone else just thinks the deejays are making lame jokes about our friends across the Detroit River.....................Now all of you know about it............
Peace,
Johnny

• Members

Yeah, the hospitality people here do it too. Calling anyone Canadian who is not in fact Canadian is just as bad as calling them a Nigger, only now you are trying to hide your racism, that;s real nice...

from what I remember from living in Canada, waiters and waitresses were paid better in Canada than in the US, so customers from Canada tended to tip less than those in the US.... This is info from over 15 years ago when I moved to the states...... could be off. Typically the hospitality workers call black people Canadians because they are not good tippers, it's still not right....

"Well, if it makes any difference, the majority of people who bought Dr Dre's "The Chronic" album were white. I'm assuming the same is true of the album the other song is on as well."

if you are speculating, don't state things as fact.... I'm just sayin'

• CMS Author

"Well, if it makes any difference, the majority of people who bought Dr Dre's "The Chronic" album were white. I'm assuming the same is true of the album the other song is on as well."

if you are speculating, don't state things as fact.... I'm just sayin'

Yeah, pretty sure I've never noticed the FYE emo-sales-girl checking the black|white|hispanic|asian boxes while I make my purchase. Maybe they're just stealthy like that....

• Members

Abso{censored}inglutely! Depending on whether or not they were normal bar going type folks.

I would not play it in a room full of redneck bigots because they'd say things like, "That song y'all did 'bout them niggers was cool!"

I'd only want to play that song for people who would understand what we were doing.

I get, and appreciate where you are coming from here. I'd hate to ever find that some redneck bigots think that I agree with them, or that I was encouraging their ignorant ways. The only problem with "playing it for people who would understand" is that, as someone alluded to earlier in this thread, most subtle jokes, humor, and pointed commentary go completely unheard or misunderstood. Given a random crowd, what do you think the percentage of: A)folks who would get the subtle humor, as opposed to B)folks who thought your "song 'bout them niggers was cool", would be?

I do think that many people are far too sensitive and should just "get over it". Especially when you are out just having a good time dancing and grooving. I get the point when someone says, "{censored}ing lighten up!". I would be bored if everyone just played it safe and did nothing outrageous lest they might hurt someone's tender sensibilities. I get a kick out of lots of stuff that others find offensive.

But I also think it's possible to cross the line and go too far. If I saw someone making fun of maimed soldiers coming back from Iraq/Afghanistan, or thinking that rape was amusing, or agreeing with anything Ann Coulter or the Westboro Baptist Church has ever said, I would categorize them as a full-on asshole.

On a lesser level, if I saw a band of white guys playing a song wherein they use the word "nigger" 20 times, I would have a problem with that. No, I would not think that they should all be drawn & quartered, jailed, or banished from society. No, I don't think they should be banned from playing or censored. No, I wouldn't start shouting at them and calling them racists. I wouldn't complain to the bar owner and stomp out in a huff. But yes, I would think (to myself), "what a bunch of douchebags" and I wouldn't ever pay money to see them again.

• Members

We completely agree.

I made the jokes about my singer's mom because my guitarist's and drummer's mothers are dead. I tell just as many jokes about my own mother.

I joke on my drummer for being old, I joke myself every time I make a mistake and they all joke on me for being an asshole.

As long as white people are the majority in this country, no disparaging comment made about the white race will carry as much weight as the N-bomb. White people cannot be oppressed and have never been oppressed in this country, so it's ridiculous for anyone to compare terms like "cracker" and "nigger". We agree completely.

Like I said, I'm just testing the water. We aren't going to do the song because the drummer dropped the veto, that's the end of it for the band.

I completely understand why it would piss some people off and it may be a good thing that we aren't doing it. It's not a big deal for us not to do the song. It will give us time to work on our speed metal version of Freebird.

• Members
Instead of using "cracka" or "wigga", use "Canadian"..............it's a dirty little secret on one of the radio stations in the Detroit area that when the deejays are using the word "Canadian" they are really cracking jokes about the blacks that live in Detroit. Whites who know about it find it extremely funny. The blacks don't have a clue because no one told them, and everyone else just thinks the deejays are making lame jokes about our friends across the Detroit River.....................Now all of you know about it............

Peace,

Johnny

The Michigan Illuminati is going to be after you now! :eek:

• Members

The Michigan Illuminati is going to be after you now!
:eek:

Like we would spend a single moment worrying about a racist school teacher with the typing and (at least apparent) compositional skills of a 3rd Grader. The Illuminati has slightly more lofty concerns than that...

Uh, that is if the Illuminati existed...

Which it definitely doesn't...

fnord

Archived