Is This Offensive?

burdizzos

• Members
i'm praying that this is some kind of a joke, or written with sarcasm so sly that i didn't get it. coloured people? are you {censored}ing kidding me? it's 2007 dude.

Even if it's a joke, it's still a {censored}ing viscious thing to type out. {censored} that.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cigarettes are legal but nobody in his right mind smokes them...

you've got a lot of options that don't involve using the word....

I'm not sure if I've
ever
agreed with anything the NAACP has done, but recently they made a point of officially relegating the word to unacceptable status.

I think that was a pretty bold move and one I completely agree with and commend the NAACP for taking.

Just drop it and move on...you can make your point, whatever it is, without it...

You'll be doing us all a favor....c-d

Meh, I disagree with what the NAACP did. It just gives the word more power.

Words are only words, banning certain words only increase the degree of harm that they can cause.

• Moderators
No one gets an escape listening to Brown Eyed Girl unless they are drunk enough to forget the words to that pile.

That's the wrong way to look at it, IMHO. Putting it in the context of the average bar patron, the escape for the male patrons would be looking at all the nice looking females that Brown Eyed Girl will send to the dance floor. And the dudes will have to order another beer just to keep themselves company as they watch these chicks bumping and grinding with each other on the dance floor. I can't stand that tune myself, but it was put into proper perspective for me not too long ago when I was complaining about that song and a very attractive, young female I know well said that is one of her favorites and it puts her and all her friends on the dance floor every time a band plays it. You may not get an escape from it as a player, but by doing "safe" songs like that, your audience will probably be more open to some of the more risky material you do.

• Members

That's the wrong way to look at it, IMHO. Putting it in the context of the average bar patron, the escape for the male patrons would be looking at all the nice looking females that Brown Eyed Girl will send to the dance floor. And the dudes will have to order another beer just to keep themselves company as they watch these chicks bumping and grinding with each other on the dance floor. I can't stand that tune myself, but it was put into proper perspective for me not too long ago when I was complaining about that song and a very attractive, young female I know well said that is one of her favorites and it puts her and all her friends on the dance floor every time a band plays it. You may not get an escape from it as a player, but by doing "safe" songs like that, your audience will probably be more open to some of the more risky material you do.

I get that, but there are plenty of other songs that can have the same effect, but most bands just go for the safe standards.

Sure, I'm probably losing money by not playing Sweet Home Alabama, but I'm really not in this to make money, I'm in it to have fun and shake things up a bit.

• Moderators
I get that, but there are plenty of other songs that can have the same effect, but most bands just go for the safe standards.

Sure, I'm probably losing money by not playing Sweet Home Alabama, but I'm really not in this to make money, I'm in it to have fun and shake things up a bit.

I agree that there are a lot of tunes that can do the same thing that may not be standards. I'm not much of a fan of classic rock, but I'm not quite sure what the point is as a cover band to do songs that have the potential to completely offend some people. Sure you may not be in it for the money. Most of us aren't. But the guy who owns the bar is.

• Members

When we do Brown Eyed Girl, the line in the last verse that goes "my how you have grown." We break and the guitar player sings "may your tits have grown." We get flashed 50% of the time. Some of them nice. :thu:

• Members

I agree that there are a lot of tunes that can do the same thing that may not be standards. I'm not much of a fan of classic rock, but I'm not quite sure what the point is as a
cover band
to do songs that have the potential to completely offend some people. Sure you may not be in it for the money. Most of us aren't. But the guy who owns the bar is.

And every bar owner who hears us play probably spends ten minutes of the show uncomfortable the first time he hears us, but somehow, they keep inviting us back.

People laugh, drink and have a good time. That's the point of a bar band, to entertain. Like I said, a quarter of our shtick is comedy.

• Members

You're forgetting the obvious solution. Find a black guy in the bar and have him do the 'guest vocals'. You know, just get to the part in the song, point at him, and have him say the one word every time you point. Then everything's cool.

Dude, you know damned well that we do not play at places that serve black people.

;) Seriously, that was a joke. ;)

Archived