No more racks

D Aussie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For who? Steve Vai?

Nope, Petrucci as mentioned.

Vai's is actually pretty straightforward now. He doesn't even have a rack, or much to speak one nowadays.

But yeah- Petrucci is just over the top. :)

Mine is-

Power condish

X2 XDR95 Wireless

M-Pulse 600

Lot to throw in a bag...

• Members

I just keep all my crap in a rack because it's safer. Plus I'd like to throw a multieffects unit in there someday (space is waitin).

I can close off the front and cats are unable to eat my volume knobs. That's the main thing. My woofer knob has toothmarks in it, the little fookers.

• Members

I just keep all my crap in a rack because it's safer. Plus I'd like to throw a multieffects unit in there someday (space is waitin).

I can close off the front and cats are unable to eat my volume knobs. That's the main thing. My woofer knob has toothmarks in it, the little fookers.

I'm just waiting for my roommates little fooker (cat) to nibble on the speaker cable to my tube head. That fix his little....

And before you animal activists attack me... would I ever electrocute a cat, of course not. Would I be upset if one did it to himself? Hell no!

• Members
bass012.jpg

That raises an interesting question. At what point does "just a rack for my head" become a rack. Personally I think if you have a rack case around your amp, and nothing else, you don't have a "rack." But what if you have just a head and a tuner? Or just a head and power conditioner?

When does a racked up head become a true full blown "rack" set up and cease being "just a head in a case"?

• Members

I've never had a rack, primarily due to the cost involved. I've always played whatever was cheap and could cut the mustard, and that usually involved some sort of head + cab configuration. My first full-time bass rig was a "head" salvaged out of a Fender BXR300C combo and a Crate 1x15 loaded with an MI grade JBL. The whole thing cost me less than $150. My second rig was the same Fender head loaded back into its original combo housing, rebuilt and loaded with a Carvin PS15. Later on I was using a Peavey Mark VIII XP through an old MusicMan 1x15 cab loaded with an audiopile JBL 2441 copy. I'd never really been a fan of the single 15" set-up, but I ended up using it exclusively for years. Go figure.

I decided to spend some money on an amp for the first time of my life and bought a Genz Benz Neox400-112T combo. Buy once, cry once. It's not the smallest combo out there (although it's pretty compact for the sound it puts out) but it does the job and looks really cool. I'm considering buying the matching GB Neo 1x12 extension for it.

Anyway, I don't see a lot of bassists around here using rack setups. That said, there are certain genres where the rack set-up still reigns supreme. Metal is one of them. My friend plays in a progressive thrash band and both guitarists and the bassist have rack setups.

• Members

Are rack set ups a phase we all are destined to go through at some point?

Did you have a rack once but now you are better?

Do you not yet have a rack and still crave a complicated, large fridge like rig?

Never have owned a rack setup.

Never have desired a rack setup.

Don't crave any sort of complicated rig.

:wave:

• Members

Racks are the only way to go if you gig

I gig and couldnt be happier with having/using my bass ---> Boss TU2 ---> GBE600 ---> Bag End cube(s) setup. I can carry the GBE600 in its "EZ sleeve" with one hand, a single Bag End cube with my other hand, and my backpack filled with cables, TU2, and other accessories on my back.

To each their own, I suppose. :idk:

Archived