No more racks

D Aussie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a tuner, a wireless, and an ampeg svt4-pro in a rack over a pr-410hlf. (still have all of it) then I started using a wireless and a Trace V-6 over a pair of aggie 112's. Now I use a wireless(no-rack) a GK 800rb and 1 aggie 112. Next gig I am going to use my peterson strobostomp and a mic cord. (I tried it at practice and it sounds damn good). No amp, no wireless no cabs, I love it. Lots more space, less worries of lack of elec. circuits, quick, clean and easy.

• Members

I don't want a big rack. those are huge and annoying. All I want is a stompbox preamp like a SansAmp, a rack power conditioner and a heavily overbuilt monoblock rackmount MOSFET power amp with a massive fully regulated power supply for the output transistors and possibly a tube front end. You can't really buy an amp like that so I'd have to DIY it, which I presently am not able to. One day though.

• Members

Back in the day I had rack fulla Trace Elliot, along with a few rack effects, compressors, graphic EQ, a Furman power conditioner, a tuner, and even a drawer to put stuff in. This was the 80's and everybody did it. That rack took two guys to carry it around.

These days, I use nothing but a cable and maybe a Radial Bassbone, and that's it. Most of the players I know who were doing the big racks back then aren't using them anymore, either.

I see younger players out in the clubs now with racks and pedalboards that boggle the mind. All those guys sound the same to me, if they can be heard at all. Money can't buy you everything required for good tone.

• Members

Back in the day I had rack fulla Trace Elliot, along with a few rack effects, compressors, graphic EQ, a Furman power conditioner, a tuner, and even a drawer to put stuff in....

Thats kinda what I meant.

Is it just us old blokes who prefer lightweight now over effects?

• Members

Generally, yes. Plus, the advent of neo cabs and compact ultra-light heads freed bassists from carrying a lot of heavy gear that we used to. Multi-fx boxes have come a long way, too.

As I matured as a player and really got my touch together, I found that I prefer the direct sound live over an amp-based sound. Soundmen seem to be able (and more willing) to dial you a better tone if you don't have a monster rig saturating the onstage mix as well.

• Members

i thought the head and cab idea the most easiest to transport

possibly that is why racks are good...they are dismantleable..

the rack doesnt supply any sound merits...so you could put the stuff on chairs or trestles

the fashion probably follows the film set of the latest star trek

:D

• Members

I wouldn't consider myself old. I just got sick and tired of lugging huge racks and speaker cabs into bars and other places for only 45 minutes. Right now I'm just amp and cab; I can carry everything in to a venue in five minutes and be set up with five more.

• Members

i used to use a 300W carvin combo, but it was my first amp that resembled anything real. i prefer to use a rack for a couple reasons.

i have a bergantino HT-112. it is 8 Ohms, relatively low on sensitivity, and it gets loud when you put the power to it. it is not that i can't find a head to drive it, but why bother looking?

i have a preamp that i love the sound of. i can buy a head with the same preamp, but it's no lighter or easier to deal with than my power amp, which is over 600W per side into 8 Ohms.

so suddenly i have a lot of flexibility in both my setup and how i can help the band or any given live situation. and i have a lot more power for the same money as buying a head.

i hardly think it's the only way to go, and i hardly think it's a phase. it's not the absolute lightest rig available, but i would challenge anyone to find this kind of power at this kind of weight.

to me it really comes down to what you're trying to accomplish with your amp and how you find a solution. if i'm ever playing with more than one cab, a lightweight amp really loses its practicality, especially at the price premium. if i ever add a second HT-112, i can't do a one-trip load-in anymore, anyway, so why worry so much about how light the amp is? it's all about what works for you sonically and physically.

robb.

Archived