Please listen to and comment on my song

Kindness

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's REALLY hard to determine what is "interesting" or "memorable" about a song. I mean, I used to belong to TAXI, and I'd send in tunes and get good feedback, but still, it was like "Your lyrics are too literal." So I'd work on making them more poetic and metaphorical, re-send the song, then the next reviewer would say "Your lyrics are too vague. Be more to the point."

Look at WITH OR WITHOUT YOU by U2, as simple a song as there is, Bono's vocals start out low, then he sings an octave higher, cool moody drums and guitars, and a constant bass line that no one would brag about but WORKS. SAME chord progression OVER and OVER and OVER again, no change, not modulation, still it was a hit.

The song submitted for this thread is fine, one man's boring song is another's happy pop tune.

Take our advice with a grain of salt and make sure YOU like your songs and enjoy playing them.

You can check out clips of my songs in the music section of my site:

www.robsong.com

just to get an idea where I'm coming from.

• Moderators
You can check out clips of my songs in the music section of my site:

www.robsong.com

just to get an idea where I'm coming from.

I really didn't listen to the lyrics closely, but I like the lead singer's voice and the bass tone you have going on there is really killer. It fits the mix well (all the songs you had posted there).

• Members

Yep.

I really didn't listen to the lyrics closely, but I like the lead singer's voice and the bass tone you have going on there is really killer. It fits the mix well (all the songs you had posted there).

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback, I am doing all vocals, and play my ole Rickenbacker 4000 on those songs. I also am playing 12 string acoustic, and my brother plays violin. A good friend does all drums.

At this point in the game, I really play music that I enjoy, instead of trying to get others to like it. It is still a good exercise to get feedback from other musicians, though.

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

People have asked for more of the material as we've completed a few more songs in the studio.

Here are two more that were recorded locally and subsequently mixed by fellow forumite Guttermouth.

War All the Time

Heard it Before

I have three more songs Guttermouth mixed for us ready to post, but I'm out of hosting space on rx's site. I'll have to look around a bit and see where to park the other three files.

• Members

I can't stop and listen to them all at work, but the sampling I just gave myself, I want to hear more for sure.

At a brief first listen, the (first) song sounds a little rushed, like it could be slowed down a very few bpm's or something. But I will listen more critically from home later, and on better speakers and will offer up some other notes from there.

• Members

I like it. The vocals have a David Byrne/Talking Heads vibe to them.

What was your recording setup? I want to start doing this with my band (record at rehearsals to have a "snapshot" of songs at a PIT) but since we don't hvae a dedicated rehearsal space, it is tough to do with any precision. Maybe one of those Zoom recorders is in my future.....

Kinda More Modern English/ Smiths/ Cure IMHO. Great work!

• Members
I always thought Lisa Loeb was hot as hell.

loebfeatpic.jpg

I think it's the glasses:D, I dig chicks with glasses.

Dan

I still do, and yeah the glasses add to that. Smart chicks rock my socks.

12142__lisa_l.jpg

lloeb-bra1.jpg

And this doesn't hurt either

[YOUTUBE]5-IBMDeoT5E[/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

Kinda More Modern English/ Smiths/ Cure IMHO. Great work!

I definitely hear this. When I started playing with Pete (singer guitarist songwriter) I thought, "boy he sounds like someone that can't sing anything." 6-7 years later I am pretty proud of the songs we've created together.

This coming Saturday is our last gig as our drummer moves to St. Louis June 1. It is a sad time.

• Members

For you guys having crashs etc...it's the bloodyvelvet website, i've had problems from the get-go of that site.
The way around it is to right click the song title/link > copy shortcut, open up windows media (if thats what you use) then right click in a blank area on the top toolbar>file>open url> paste into that hit OK and it will play.
Sorry to say that about BV, i know it's free for HCBF by a member, but i've always had problems with it.

The music, not my thing. I'd leave the bar/venue after the start of the second song. Sorry Kindness, i respect you highly, though i must say, i'd have thought you would have went to a more progressive edge to your music (for some reason), i figured you were a rocker (though i never heard you play)...i don't know, i think i'm somewhat disappointed. :o

• Members
For you guys having crashs etc...it's the bloodyvelvet website, i've had problems from the get-go of that site.

The way around it is to right click the song title/link > copy shortcut, open up windows media (if thats what you use) then right click in a blank area on the top toolbar>file>open url> paste into that hit OK and it will play.

Sorry to say that about BV, i know it's free for HCBF by a member, but i've always had problems with it.

The music, not my thing. I'd leave the bar/venue after the start of the second song. Sorry Kindness, i respect you highly, though i must say, i'd have thought you would have went to a more progressive edge to your music (for some reason), i figured you were a rocker (though i never heard you play)...i don't know, i think i'm somewhat disappointed.
:o

What I do is just PAUSE the song. Let it load in it's entirety, then listen to it. Problem solved.

• Moderators
The music, not my thing. I'd leave the bar/venue after the start of the second song. Sorry Kindness, i respect you highly, though i must say, i'd have thought you would have went to a more progressive edge to your music (for some reason), i figured you were a rocker (though i never heard you play)...i don't know, i think i'm somewhat disappointed.
:o

No reason to be sorry. Each band I play with is different from the others. Some are progressive. Some are regressive. Some are ridiculous. This one is a local bar band with three of my best friends. The music sounds like the four of us in a room. There is no way I'd be happy with it sounding like anything else, but there is no reason a listener should be into it.

Archived