Please listen to and comment on my song

Kindness

• Moderators

Human Beings

It's a live recording of my four piece band, The Free Wheels. The recording was done in our practice space with no overdubs other than the vocals so the track is "authentic," mistakes and all. The mix is the first rough mix done by a local studio we like.

We wanted to get a sense of where we are live and have a snapshot of the band at this point in time. It's a new song that was written just a few days before recording so it hasn't matured in structure, but it feels nice.

Please let me know what you think about any and all aspects of the song, recording, band, etc. Constructive criticism is always appreciated (but also say something nice if you are going to get harsh! ;))

I have five other songs we recorded that night that I can post, but I figure few of you will care that much to listen to that much of my music. :thu:

edit: Here are links to all of the songs in this thread:

Here are the 11 posted songs consolidated and moved to a new home.

Human Beings

Past Lives

Heart in Mouth

Short of a Miracle

Lit by Fire

Life on Another Planet

War All the Time

Heard it Before

Night Bugs

The Things I did for Money

The Gold Standard

Thanks to Renfield for hosting.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like it. The vocals have a David Byrne/Talking Heads vibe to them.

What was your recording setup? I want to start doing this with my band (record at rehearsals to have a "snapshot" of songs at a PIT) but since we don't hvae a dedicated rehearsal space, it is tough to do with any precision. Maybe one of those Zoom recorders is in my future.....

• Members

I'd have to say Kindness that the music is good...but it might be forgettable live. For me, all it needs is a bit more power. All the songs kind of start off slow and slowly build to a quick powerful end. I think if you brought a little more livelyness to "Heart in Mouth" and Past Lives" in the mid part of the song it would be cool. Of course you could obviously draw the endings out on your songs live and really create a great live show, I'm just going off of the recordings here. And then there's the fact that I'm an idiot:D.

::edit:: Having listened to all the songs I would just have to say that you guys really shine when everyone is in on the deal. When the drums are going along with the rest of you it really sounds great. I'm not sure if you just have an unassuming drummer but for me the songs really shine when he comes in full on. But that's just my style I think. Good music though..I really dig it.

Dan

• Members
Human Beings

Its a great song and very good take and arrangment for being so new. As mentioned the bass is not coming through the mix. Also in my opinion the band does a pretty good job dynamically of starting off at a moderate energy level and nicely building into the chorus but I'm not feeling the same from the lead singer.

I realize vocals are hard and I'm certainly not much of a singer, but if the singer could build to higher emotional and energetic level starting the build on the "there is no such thing" parts and belting it out on "where only human beings" it would climax the tune so much better.

Really good stuff Kindness, I wish I could write songs.

• Members

there's a really nice, understated indie vibe to this stuff. good tone, overall (lack of bass and snare can be forgiven in a live recording setup). i dig it when bands use a lot of dynamic changes, and it's generally a bit mellow for my taste, but i can't knock the musicianship or songwriting at all, really. our new songs usually sound like trainwrecks for a couple weeks. nicely done.

• Moderators

4 times here.

The 2.5 secnds I hear b4 crashing sounds okay tho.
:D

Weird. They are MP3s uploaded directly from my computer to hc.bloodyvelvet.com. I don't know enough about what you are running that might be causing issues, but maybe someone smarter about computers can offer some help. :confused:

I've tried it from a few computers without issue.

Sorry.

• Members

Just listened to the first one... will definitely listen to the rest when I get home from work. It's really good. I'm not even that opposed to the recording. yes, it's a bit raw, but I really enjoy bands that pull it off well (and you guys do).

In all seriousness, if you were here in Brooklyn (Williamsburg to be more precise), you'd be drawing huge crowds. No bs. Let me know if/when a disc comes out, because I definitely need a copy :thu:

EDIT: oh what the heck. Just DLed 'em all. I'll listen to them all on the subway ride to manhattan.

• Moderators

You guys are too kind. I wish I could get you all out to one of our shows so I could share more of what we do. I know you guys are fairly knowledgeable about writing and performing music, so feel free to unload some sharper comments. Nothing is personal, art is never going to speak the same to each person, and it will help us identify areas of strengths and weakness to know what everyone thinks. I can't say we'll be able or want to accommodate every suggestion, but that doesn't make the comments less useful. :thu:

CF, I will let you know if/when a disc comes out. I think we plan on refining some more songs (we are in a transitional phase as we move past some older material) and recording a full length. I'm pretty excited about that idea. I am finally comfortable with us getting our sound to tape without losing our identity.

Archived