Please listen to and comment on my song

Kindness

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
+1 Marketing/advertising companies too. I could imagine hearing some of the stuff in an advert on tv.
:cool:

Our lead singer is a writer/producer in advertising. Our lead guitarist is a writer/journalist that also does music reviews for a local paper. I believe their jobs influence their music.

• Moderators

Ok, I think this is a cool tune. Suggestions:

1) That bass is good, all bassplayers want the bass louder, but I am listening to the song.

2) Guitar on the pre-chorus is COOL!!! Sounds like a voice!

3) At :58 sounds like there should be a BIG chorus a la "HUMAN BEINGS!" or "WE'RE ONLY HUMAN BEINGS!" ala Bono, as someone said above. That would be around 1:05.

Don't wait too long to get to the chorus, Bono can cause he's famous, but if you listen to his songs, he even gets to it pretty fast "IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY!!!!"

I think one of the classic errors in songwriting is thinking a song is complete when it really has no PAY off, no CHORUS. I know the song says HUMAN BEINGS, but is almost an afterthought when it should be the PAY OFF, the ORGASM!!!

I think that is a very good suggestion to take the song more towards the area rock genre. Part of the aesthetic is to avoid that form of pay off. The question is, does it castrate the music? Maybe to some. But to others it saves the song from being too cheesy. It's really a matter of figuring out the audience you are writing for and delivering what excites them. It is definitely something to consider though. An album of 10 songs with castrated pay offs might be improved by including a few songs that approach the pay off from a different direction.

• Members
I think that is a very good suggestion to take the song more towards the area rock genre. Part of the aesthetic is to avoid that form of pay off. The question is, does it castrate the music? Maybe to some. But to others it saves the song from being too cheesy. It's really a matter of figuring out the audience you are writing for and delivering what excites them. It is definitely something to consider though. An album of 10 songs with castrated pay offs might be improved by including a few songs that approach the pay off from a different direction.

I prefer to call it the "money shot". :D

• Members

This song is Killer.

It sounds really smooth already, I can't believe it's so new! That's awesome dude. You have a great band!

+1

Great tune - it sounds really smooth and polished, just as bassgirl9 said. I like the vocals - he's got a cool, nice and earnest delivery. My only critique of his vocals are that I found myself wishing for more dynamics...perhaps going a bit more soft or spoken during the verses, and then belting out at times during the choruses.

Drums sounded great. Guitars sounded great - when I was listening to the open parts at the intro between or before the verses, I do admit to wishing to hear something akin to a Neil Young'esque dirty ass LP humbucker tone though, for some reason.

Your bass sounded great as well! Everything seemed effortless and completely meshed together - the sign of great synergy and an excellent band. Kudos! I would have liked for you to have been a little more forward in that mix, but then again, I'm a bass player ;) The only suggestion I can think of is - those parts after the chorus and before the next verses, I would have liked to hear you go up the neck a bit higher. You're playing a root-do-do-5th-back-back-root sort of thing, if I recall...which is nice. I'd like to hear you let loose a bit, go up the neck, and maybe not even do anything intricate - it could just be two notes or so, but something to add a bit more harmonic color to the palatte would be delicious...

Awesome tune and great band - looking forward to hearing you guys live someday! :thu:

• Members

[0QUOTE=Kindness;24928987]I think that is a very good suggestion to take the song more towards the area rock genre. Part of the aesthetic is to avoid that form of pay off. The question is, does it castrate the music? Maybe to some. But to others it saves the song from being too cheesy. It's really a matter of figuring out the audience you are writing for and delivering what excites them. It is definitely something to consider though. An album of 10 songs with castrated pay offs might be improved by including a few songs that approach the pay off from a different direction.

Very true, Art for art's sake.

I suppose it really depends on your audience and what your goals are. I mean, the songs are good. But that is very subjective.

When we ask someone "Is my song good?" that is kind of a loaded question, of COURSE we want people to say "It's DAMN good!" They are our babies, after all!

But what do WE mean when we ask it? Do mean GOOD enough to play at a local club sandwiched between two famous hit songs for people drinking and partying who already like us? Or good enough to get a publishing deal, or record deal?

To be honest, I have no clue what the industry looks for these days, but back when I was trying to "make it" I was told things like "I need the hear a hook!" Or "I need to like it the first time I hear it!" Meaning, they are not going to listen a bunch of times to warm up to it.

With that in mind, your songs are good, I think.

• Members

Just listenend tu Human Beings.

Well written song, tasteful arrangements and pretty good tone.

Not much to say in the music department, it's fine you guys can play.

Reminds me of REM and Pixies much more than U2.

Now I think it's too mellow, too polite. I would probably fall asleep listening to an album with this tone all along.

Rock'n'roll dammit ! It doesn't miss much but you must give this thing character and attitude.

Maybe pushing backvocals a bit more would be a good idea.

A harsher tone for the guitar maybe, more rumbling for the bass and getting rid of the delay on voice.

Just my 0.02

• Members

one thing i forgot about vocals: i find the cool lead singing, and this kind of "laid-back" not always perfect be a part of the band sound identity. For me, he must keep it like it is, natural.

+1 While the vocals might not be the strongest I think they do actually work. His voice has a great character that fits in well with the style. :thu:

The vocals kind of remind me of The Magic Numbers a bit. :idk:

• Members

I wanted to leave my comment until others had passed their opinion onto you, because I don't like this type of music. I didn't want anyone possibly agreeing with me and stunting the growth of positive debate, just in case you were wondering why I didn't chime in :o

I think your tone suits each track very well, but 'past lives' guitar sounded almost out of tune to me.

The lead vocals don't harmonize with the music your playing very well, I feel when he pushes his voice he is better able to control it, delicate is not doing him or the band justice imo.

I actually really liked the start of 'Human Beings', then it all went a sedate for too long and I lost interest (not a hard thing to do mind).

Like I say, nearly all the music I listen to is intense so i'm bias against your chosen genre. But I think if you turned up all of your instruments and play them a little harder, includeing the vocals... it might sound allot better. Maybe just try it next time your reherseing?

• Members

At first I thought all the songs were a bit "over-modulated" I took a second listen to them all again though and realized my crappy headphones were on the fritz. A third time around and actually turning up the volume a little bit more did the trick.

The creative force of the band definitely draws from Bob Dylan (in case the band name didn't give it a way)

It's weird, but before going through all the replies thus far and thinking, "If I had to compare this to musicians that I've heard before, what one would it be?" I thought of the Wallflowers.

I like it. When you make the album, I'll buy a copy. :thu:

• Members

First, let me say thank you for the opportunity to engage my mind on something interesting as I kill time in a Kansas City hotel room.

Compositionally, I like the songs a LOT and the arrangements work exceptionally well IMHO. I like everything I hear guitar/bass/drums-wise and tend to listen to songs as a whole.

Lead and backing vocals work nicely within the tracks and I enjoy the narrative.

• Moderators
Just listenend tu Human Beings.

Well written song, tasteful arrangements and pretty good tone.

Not much to say in the music department, it's fine you guys can play.

Reminds me of REM and Pixies much more than U2.

Now I think it's too mellow, too polite. I would probably fall asleep listening to an album with this tone all along.

Rock'n'roll dammit ! It doesn't miss much but you must give this thing character and attitude.

Maybe pushing backvocals a bit more would be a good idea.

A harsher tone for the guitar maybe, more rumbling for the bass and getting rid of the delay on voice.

Just my 0.02

• Members
After spending some time with the tracks and getting feedback here and other places, our band's creative force has decided it is time to move past being a mediocre bad. It is time to step up the intensity both in execution and creativity. The drummer was already taking vocal lessons (he does the harmonies) and now the lead singer is going to as well.
We are going to give our arrangements a little more edge and possibly abandon some of the generic safety nets we've grown accustomed to. Harsher tones and rock will certainly play into this.
:idea:

:thu: that was my only real advice, when you play harder, the singers voice should come into it's own imo.

Archived