Please listen to and comment on my song

Kindness

• Members

Definitely strong indie tracks here. The singer works really well within his range, and the backup vocals are spot on.

As for the live element, I think Dan makes good points. That said, I think you can control that with the question of volume. At moderate to low volumes, I think these songs could fade into the background. However, at a higher level of sound I think they could be more commanding and dynamic. Then again, I love LOUD live music, so I might have too much bias here.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've listened to Human Beings a few times now, and I really like it. Good stuff on all accounts, although turn the bass up! :D

I agree with Dan and the others, too.

I haven't really given the other songs enough time to give good feedback, but I have noticed that they all seem to have the same kinda energy to them. I kinda wish you guys would write something a bit more uptempo, or downtempo even.

• Moderators

Man, this would sound so great as a duet with a chick singer. I can totally hear this light airy girly voice in and around the lead. Kind of like Lisa Loeb.

I can tell my drummer to do his backups more girlie... :idk:

I listened to it again and can hear exactly what you are talking about. :thu:

• Moderators

Lit By Fire and Life On Another Planet = Eric Judy(the latter is more just slow Modest sounding, to me, in many sections).

Awesome.

Thanks. He's an obvious influence on my playing given our previous conversations, but our compositions rarely lend themselves to incorporating those types of fully meandering lines. I think that I tend to pull out the same harmonic note choices though and, as a result, my voice is very similar to his.

• Moderators

I've listened to
Human Beings
a few times now, and I really like it. Good stuff on all accounts, although turn the bass up!
:D
I agree with Dan and the others, too.

I haven't really given the other songs enough time to give good feedback, but I have noticed that they all seem to have the same kinda energy to them. I kinda wish you guys would write something a bit more uptempo, or downtempo even.

Thanks.

I agree with you on the tempos. We focus more on dynamic shifts rather than tempo shifts and I think it would be very beneficial for us to pay more attention in that area. We do have lots of more down tempo songs, but they were not ones we selected for this recording session, but I am curious to hear what we can do at higher tempos. I'm much too much of a laid back player to force the issue myself naturally through my basslines, but now I'm going to have to make a conscious effort to say something to the group.

• Members

Thanks. He's an obvious influence on my playing given our previous conversations, but our compositions rarely lend themselves to incorporating those types of fully meandering lines. I think that I tend to pull out the same harmonic note choices though and, as a result, my voice is very similar to his.

Yeah, based off of this sampling, you seem more enjoyable and less confusing than our fair Eric. :p Your tone in Lit is REALLY similar to a lot of Judy's tonal preferences, though. Life, however, just seems to have a similarity in structure and, therefore, execution. :)

• Moderators

As to all the comments about the lack of bass, I definitely agree on most of the songs (Lit by Fire would be an exception). I am lucky enough to be in a band where I am very appreciated as a musician and the other three band members are usually the ones telling the engineer/producer to bring up the bass. I'm sure it will be rectified as we give our comments on the mix and get it finalized. :)

• Members

As to all the comments about the lack of bass, I definitely agree on most of the songs (Lit by Fire would be an exception). I am lucky enough to be in a band where I am very appreciated as a musician and the other three band members are usually the ones telling the engineer/producer to bring up the bass. I'm sure it will be rectified as we give our comments on the mix and get it finalized.
:)

Well, keep in mind, most of us are listening through tiny little crappy speakers.

• Moderators

When you guys hit big time, just ask Lisa Loeb to sit in.

Funny coincidence, when I was in law school I played in a group with a guy that had played guitar with Lisa's band when she toured in the mid-90s. He had nothing but nice things to say about her as a musician and a person. It's sad that it is a shocking thing to hear about a musician, but it stood out as being one of the few times I heard an up close account of a reasonably successful artist actually being someone cool to hang out with.

• Members

It's sad that it is a shocking thing to hear about a musician, but it stood out as being one of the few times I heard an up close account of a reasonably successful artist actually being someone cool to hang out with.

It's probably because she's a real musician. All the real musicians I know are really cool. The performers are flakes and jerks.

• Moderators

It's probably because she's a
real
musician. All the real musicians I know are really cool. The
performers
are flakes and jerks.

I agree. However, having not known anything about her other than seeing her on MTV when her songs were popular it was refreshing to hear.

So since we aren't going to make it big enough to hit up Lisa Loeb to sing with us, I'll have to start thinking about something more realistic. It would be really cool to do something like that on an album. Another change of pace for the listener and one that can actually improve the music.

• Members

Very nice! I listened to the first three and will check out the rest. The first tune I really liked -my only comment is the long delay on the vocal got a little distracting at times. It's nice you hear someone working with melody and vocal harmonies as that seems to be optional these days.

The second tune (Past Lives) - I like the way your guitarists arrange their parts very much. I found myself wishing that weren't so strictly placed throughout the whole tune - sonically they stay in one spot throughout (this guitar is HERE and the this one is HERE) And I think either a little more blending or some sonic movement between sections would make it more interesting.

The third one seemed like it waited a little too long to take off. I like the low vibe for the first half, but I'd maybe look at your arrangement on that one and not wait til the very very end to deliver the rock.

Of course these are just first impressions. It's nice to hear a band that's trying to create real songs that go somewhere and working together as opposed to trying to drown each other out. Good work.

• Moderators
Well, keep in mind, most of us are listening through tiny little crappy speakers.

I'm listening on my studio monitors (Eden EM-5s) and the bass is a little lacking. I realize this was already posted by others, but I thought I'd weigh in that it's not because of everyone's computer speakers being cheap. It's important the bass has a bit of presence in the mix during the short instrumental break in the middle of the song.

• Moderators

Very nice! I listened to the first three and will check out the rest. The first tune I really liked -my only comment is the long delay on the vocal got a little distracting at times. It's nice you hear someone working with melody and vocal harmonies as that seems to be optional these days.

The second tune (Past Lives) - I like the way your guitarists arrange their parts very much. I found myself wishing that weren't so strictly placed throughout the whole tune - sonically they stay in one spot throughout (this guitar is HERE and the this one is HERE) And I think either a little more blending or some sonic movement between sections would make it more interesting.

The third one seemed like it waited a little too long to take off. I like the low vibe for the first half, but I'd maybe look at your arrangement on that one and not wait til the very very end to deliver the rock.

Of course these are just first impressions. It's nice to hear a band that's trying to create real songs that go somewhere and working together as opposed to trying to drown each other out. Good work.

Thanks Bob. We've experimented a bit with bringing the rock earlier in the third song. It's somehow worked it's way back to the very end. I agree we should look at it again.

I appreciate your comments, I hear what you are saying about blending the guitars in the second song. I'll bring that comment to the guitarists attention and see what they can come up with. They are both creative and responsive players, so I have no doubt they will use that idea to try out some different approaches.

It's sad that use of melody and harmony is abnormal in this type of music. I love listening to these guys play and sing, which makes it so much fun to be the bassist. :)

• Moderators

Definitely strong indie tracks here. The singer works really well within his range, and the backup vocals are spot on.

As for the live element, I think Dan makes good points. That said, I think you can control that with the question of volume. At moderate to low volumes, I think these songs could fade into the background. However, at a higher level of sound I think they could be more commanding and dynamic. Then again, I love LOUD live music, so I might have too much bias here.

Louder = better. :evil:

I've listened to (and enjoyed) your music and have paid attention to some of the bands you've recommended, but I would have guessed these songs wouldn't be something you were excited about. Of course, you don't say you like them, but your compliments are appreciated.

I have a question about your "higher level" suggestion. In your eyes is it a matter of simply being higher in decibels or are you talking about bringing the guitars closer to breakup, the voices closer to strained, etc.?

• Members

You guys sound like a modern 60s "Flower Power" band -- thats awesome :thu:

Kindness, IMHO, I think the harmonies are great but it sounds like the lead vocal goes slightly out of pitch (cent values) in spots here and there and sometimes it warbles a bit at makes it not sit in the track -- usually on single word or a syllable at different places througout the songs...If it was me, I would microscope the lead vocal tracks more, even if you have to do phrase punches( better if its digital and you can isolate the area in the WAV and pitch correct by cents values)

..but the songs are great and I love the "Hey, were like a cross between The Hollies and something youve never heard before" original sound :thu:

Archived