The "bands I don't get" thread!!!

Funkee1

• Members

im 23, so no. but good call. theyre both sweet bands. poison to a lesser extent. i love extreme.

but not really the androdgeny i was talking about..

im talking the pencil jeans, nike dunks, flesh tunnels kids...

perhaps androgeny isnt the proper way to describe them. i know {censored} is, but... hm, im stuck for anything else

you know the kids i mean?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

im 23, so no. but good call. theyre both sweet bands. poison to a lesser extent. i love extreme.

but not really the androdgeny i was talking about..

im talking the pencil jeans, nike dunks, flesh tunnels kids...

perhaps androgeny isnt the proper way to describe them. i know {censored} is, but... hm, im stuck for anything else

you know the kids i mean?

I was kidding. I know what you mean.

• Members

U2
NiN
Manson
The Doors
Rolling Stones
The Who
Grateful Dead
RHCP
Primus
Springsteen
Elvis
Lynyrd Skynyrd (just about any southern rock for that matter)
...and as far as that goes, entire genres like
country
disco
rap
rapcore

• Members
U2

NiN

Manson

The Doors

Rolling Stones

The Who

Grateful Dead

RHCP

Primus

Springsteen

Elvis

Lynyrd Skynyrd (just about any southern rock for that matter)

...and as far as that goes, entire genres like

country

disco

rap

rapcore

By process of elimination, I guess you only listen to Lawrence Welk & Liberace. Maybe that's why I never come over to visit with you.

:p

• Members

What I don't "get" is how anyone claiming to be a musician is capable of writing off an entire genre. dunno.gif

For any genre, there are remarkable artists. Anyone who says Indie artists don't have technical or theoretical skill (as someone did in this thread) has likely never listened to Ted Leo or the Decemberists. Anyone who says Rap artists have no sense of musicality or melody have likely never listened to Outkast or the Fugees or the Pharcyde. Anyone who says Country is nothing but Nashville Sound Pop have missed the greater part of the genre in general, etc., etc., etc...

If you can't past genre to dig one artist (or even one song) then you've got an issue...

A common saying among art critics is "If you don't think the Mona Lisa is an amazing work of art, it says far more about your understanding than it does about the quality of the work" ;)

• Members

What I don't "get" is how anyone claiming to be a musician is capable of writing off an entire genre.

Maybe it's because the enjoyment of listening to music is subjective?

Being able to perform music (a "musician") is irrelevant; many musicians perform music that they have no desire to listen to.

It's funny how that works - I can't explain it.

Some music is just a blast to play in an ensemble setting but you would never catch me listening to it - my experience in marching band was like that (as was my experience in contemporary christian praise band)

• Members
Maybe it's because the enjoyment of listening to music is subjective?

Being able to perform music (a "musician") is irrelevant; many musicians perform music that they have no desire to listen to.

It's funny how that works - I can't explain it.

Some music is just a blast to play in an ensemble setting but you would never catch me listening to it - my experience in marching band was like that (as was my experience in contemporary christian praise band)

But that doesn't actually address writing off an entire genre.

If you say "I dislike all INSERT GENRE HERE", and won't even listen to a specific artist or song because "I dislike INSERT GENRE HERE", then that's closed-minded (it's pretty much the definition of closed-minded)...

Earlier in the thread, Juggs mentioned that he dislikes Indie music. However, I know for a fact that he'll at least listen to specific artists and songs and won't just say "I don't like the genre therefore I don't like them" (I know because I tried to turn him on to Feist and he at least gave her a listen...I think he's crazy for not loving my Canadian Indie Goddess, but hey, he gave her a shot :D)

• Members
But that doesn't actually address writing off an entire genre.

If you say "
I dislike all INSERT GENRE HERE
", and won't even listen to a specific artist or song because
"I dislike INSERT GENRE HERE"
, then that's closed-minded (it's pretty much the definition of closed-minded)...

Earlier in the thread, Juggs mentioned that he dislikes Indie music. However, I know for a fact that he'll at least listen to specific artists and songs and won't just say "I don't like the genre therefore I don't like them" (I know because I tried to turn him on to Feist and he at least gave her a listen...I think he's crazy for not loving my Canadian Indie Goddess, but hey, he gave her a shot
:D
)

I clearly understand what your saying, and for the most part, I agree.
What I don't understand is why no one has addressed the questions/concerns in my post regarding whole genres.

• Members

1) Dave Matthews Band

They're great musicians and skilled songwriters....but the music just really bores me. I don't dislike it, but it really just doesn't trigger any kind of emotion in me whatsoever. Meh.

2) That new breed of indy/radio/rock bands with singers that sound like the South Park underpants gnomes. I'm talking about stuff like Billy Talent and My Chemical Romance. To me, they redefine the term "obnoxious"....what on earth is the appeal?

• Members

2) That new breed of indy/radio/rock bands with singers that sound like the South Park underpants gnomes. I'm talking about stuff like Billy Talent and My Chemical Romance. To me, they redefine the term "obnoxious"....what on earth is the appeal?

i actually kinda like billy talent

pretty catchy. i know what you mean about the vocals in bands or that ilk though

alvin and the chipmunks?

• Members
What I don't "get" is how anyone claiming to be a musician is capable of writing off an entire genre.
dunno.gif

For any genre, there are remarkable artists. Anyone who says Indie artists don't have technical or theoretical skill (as someone did in this thread) has likely never listened to Ted Leo or the Decemberists. Anyone who says Rap artists have no sense of musicality or melody have likely never listened to Outkast or the Fugees or the Pharcyde. Anyone who says Country is nothing but Nashville Sound Pop have missed the greater part of the genre in general, etc., etc., etc...

Being a musician has nothing to do with it. The question was "popular music you just don't get," and those particular genres I don't "get" when it comes to what is appealing about them. I'm not suggesting that there aren't some who are better at what they do in those genres than others, just that I don't get the appeal.

"Get" it?

• Members
This is not a thread to bash anyone's favorite bands, nor should anyone engage in convincing.

I want folks to list some bands that are enormously popular, but that just don't do it for you personally.

Please, also refrain from "Rap sucks" typoe comments.
I want specifics! What bands/ artists do you just not understand the appeal of?

*cough*

;)

There's a difference between "I generally don't like a particular genre" and the genre of an artist preventing you from even listening to them...

If someone has decided they don't like an artist, simply based off the genre, that's the definition of closed minded, and personally makes me wonder about their integrity as a musician...

If someone generally doesn't like a genre but is willing to give an artist a listen, that's quite difference.

• Members

I don't get why, if there is a band/genre you don't like, people think there is something they "don't get".

I don't like asparagus. That doesn't mean I don't get it.

its because some people like to talk too much even if they don't know what they are talking about.

• Members

Slayer, sure they have a few sing along classic liek angel of death, but i never really got into them much, and i've seen em twice, i just dont get their fans that worship them....why?

Also smooth Jazz and light rock, you know, like the radio station they ALWAYS have on at the dentists. Sappy upbeat alto sax whatnot, i dont get it.

oh ya, and Kenny G

The one that i really dont get is the polyphonic Spree. These guys are just plain wierd.

Straight trippin, decent musicians, but wtf? And yet i kinda wanna see em live while im ridiculously high:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQAvflPexng

I wont lie, I am part of the trivium army and love every song.

Their version of master of puppets slays mettallicas.

sorry but its what I like.

But I can get why you dont like them.

I'm glad theirs someone here that can admit that, that being said i dont get trivium, but hey to each their own :)

Archived