The "bands I don't get" thread!!!

Funkee1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rush

Deftones

Jimmy Eat World. Some people go ape{censored} over them, but they just sound like most other bands out there

Limp Bizkit

Korn

I like me some Jimmy Eat World, but yeah, Limp Bizkit and Korn suck.

I would love to somehow collectively slap all of them and scream "SWAPPING LIKE-SOUNDING CONSONANTS IS NOT {censored}ING CLEVER!!!"

• Members
You just listed many of my favorite bands.
:D

I should have been a little clearer about The Band, haha. I have a roommate who loves The Band. She plays their music all the time. I don't mind it but it just doesn't grab me. Too much country and not enough balls compared to other rock & roll from the era.

• Members

Radiohead
Elton John
Coldplay
Pearl Jam after "Ten"

Jimmy Eat World. Some people go ape{censored} over them, but they just sound like most other bands out there

I'm among those who go ape{censored} over them. I love the songwriting. What initially sounds simple, lyrically, will begin to say more and more as you listen.

• Moderators
Granted some can be derivative. It
is
meant to be an alternative (at least in message) for kids who like the music but don't agree with the mainstream lyrics.

Some Contemporary Christian music that is original and shows a high level of instrumental savvy is Michael W. Smith (the other "king of pop") and Paul Baloche.

Anyway, this isn't meant to convince or disrespect anybody's opinion. I know everybody should feel free to throw a few stones in this thread without having to justify their choices. Heck, I did.

I've been on worship teams off and on for years and have lead worship for a few, too. An alternative is a good Steve Taylor CD, the Newsboys or the Paul Colman Trio, etc., not a CD of Tomlin or Redman material or the multitude of copy bands who have nothing better to do than take the Tomlin and Redman lyrics and progressions and do it their own way. There's nothing that demonstrates artistic integrity in that at all. Now if it's a group that puts out a lot of their own material and then throws up a PW CD because their fans would be ministered to because of it, that's a bit different.

• Members
I've been on worship teams off and on for years and have lead worship for a few, too. An alternative is a good Steve Taylor CD, the Newsboys or the Paul Colman Trio, etc., not a CD of Tomlin or Redman material or the multitude of copy bands who have nothing better to do than take the Tomlin and Redman lyrics and progressions and do it their own way. There's nothing that demonstrates artistic integrity in that at all. Now if it's a group that puts out a lot of their own material and then throws up a PW CD because their fans would be ministered to because of it, that's a bit different.

Poor Old Lu...It's not worship, but its Christian, and some of the best music I've ever listened to...

For Worship, Third Day's the ticket :D

And Steve Taylor is one of the most deliciously sarcastic songwriters in history :D

• Moderators
Poor Old Lu...It's not worship, but its Christian, and some of the best music I've ever listened to...

For Worship, Third Day's the ticket

And Steve Taylor is one of the most deliciously sarcastic songwriters in history

Phil Keaggy is one of the best guitarists ever to grace the planet. And yep, KK, I forgot about Third Day. They are very good. The Christian Hootie and the Blowfish . . . . . .only they've lasted a lot longer time. I love Taylor's lyrics. He has writing credits on some of my favorite Newsboys lyrics over the years, too. Now that Paul Colman is part of the Newsboys I think that will take their offerings up another notch or two as well.

• Moderators
Eww...Most of their stuff is significantly harder than Hootie. Consuming Fire, almost all of the second album...

It's more about Mac Powell's voice that reminds me so much of Hootie. If you listen to the first one that has the tour bus on the cover you'll really hear it. Even in Consuming Fire I hear Hootie. :D

• Members

Phil Keaggy is one of the best guitarists ever to grace the planet. And yep, KK, I forgot about Third Day. They are very good. The Christian Hootie and the Blowfish . . . . . .only they've lasted a lot longer time. I love Taylor's lyrics. He has writing credits on some of my favorite Newsboys lyrics over the years, too. Now that Paul Colman is part of the Newsboys I think that will take their offerings up another notch or two as well.

I'm a Phil Keaggy fan, and I'm not at all generally into explicitly "Christian" or "praise" bands. True musicianship transcends labels and genres.

• Members

Elton John
Dave Mathews Band
Sublime
Led Zepplin
Kid Rock
Lynard Skynard
Pop-punk/emo bands (ie. New Found Glory, Blink 182, etc.)
Death Cab for Cutie
The Shins

There is alot more, but most have been mentioned and I can't think of any right now

• Members

Pearl Jam - I'll never understand what the fuss was. I don't think they're good. I don't think their bad. Their modern elevator music to me, just something in the background.

The Who - All great musicians, but I can't stand the songs. (...and damn man... Who fans are serious. Whenever I say I don't like The Who, they're ready to kick my ass. I wanna' have fans like that.)

• Members

For Worship, Third Day's the ticket

And Steve Taylor is one of the most deliciously sarcastic songwriters in history

I saw POL at a creationfest (IIRC) in the mid 90s. Phil Keaggy at Messiah College, in 93, and my roommate was a HUGE Steve fan. I liked Chagall Guevara, but his magnum opus is probably still "Hide the beer, the pastors here!!" :D

And for worship, I'll take Rich Mullins over Third Day anyday. Saw him in York PA about 2 years before he died. So sad.

Archived