• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Rolling Stones

U2

Weedly-wee bands, like Dream Theater

Eminem

Black Crowes

Many of the prog-rock bands of the 70s (i.e ELP, Rush, Yes, etc), except for Genesis, and then only in small doses.

Neil Sedaka

Neil Diamond

The Doors

Much of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Jimi Hendrix Experience - OK, some of it I like; but I can't listen to a lot of it any more.

Elvis

Led Zeppelin - OK, some of it I like, but I've never been a big fan

1990s grunge rock, except for Nevermind by Nirvana, but including Pearl Jam and other bands of that period, STP, etc. Ho hum.

Bands with Cookie Monster as their lead singer, except some Pantera

Many more, I suppose. Wow, I guess I'm more narrow-minded than I thought.

And, to be fair - I think some of it you hadda be there for, like Elvis. But even a lot of it which I was there for, it didn't really move me. I remember not really being into Zep when they were touring, they used to swing through my hometown all the time and I never went. Didn't really do anything for me, particularly. Like, oh yeah, that guy whose voice I can't stand, I'd think - no thanks.

FWIW, I really like power pop bands, any era - Moby Grape to Fountains of Wayne, and I consider Foo Fighters a power pop band; I love blues music, especially the Chicago stuff, especially Howlin' Wolf; I like psychedlia from the 60s, and most of the British invasion bands (Beatles, Kinks, Hollies especially). I like CSN and all the offspring and progenitors thereof, including the many phases of Neil Young. I like a lot of old-school country music, though I don't listen that much. A like a lot of folk/singer-songwriter music, too, though I don't listen that much. Love classical music, most styles, from plainsong to modern and all in between.

Frankly, at this point, after 40 years of listening to the radio, I'm kind-of bored with a lot of rock/pop music. So much is just the same. I've been trying to bend my ear more, hear things that *aren't* that....get more into like Afro-pop or the different forms of Latin music, Cajun music, Indian music. Stuff I don't know anything about that can make music interesting again, that can open my ear.

That's kind-of where I'm at these days. I don't listen to much music at all, any more.

• Members

Eminem. Yeah, can't forget him. I dislike his music intensely enough that it'll drive me right out of my favorite bar if someone starts playing it (well, either that, or I'll go over to the jukebox and put in $10 and program the rest of the evening to shut out the crap).

• Members

Coldplay
Modest Mouse
Feist
Actually that whole "we're indy and super hip" genre - doesn't do it for me at all

Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, all of those nu-metal bands that can't play or spell. Blech!

Fiddy Cent
Jay-Z
Kanye West
DJ Khaled
Most other {censored}ty heartless rap and hip hop. but a Roots album for {censored}s sake.

Justin Timerlake
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera (although she can actually sing a bit)
Jessica and Ashlee Simpson

And every other teeny-bopper teen idol out there.

• Members

Do I need to apologize?

I respect Jaco, but can't listen to much of his music.

Great ... a flurry of 16th-notes. And what else?

I agree on JP and would add Wooten, Marcus Miller, Stanley Jordan and a few other "Bass as Lead Instrument" guys. I am stunned and humbled by some of the superlative technical ability of these guys. They're just monster players but.....I don't get it. I can't listen to it. I find most of that self-indulgent tapping, slapping and noodling to be quite annoying actually. Sorry, no disrespect, just me.

• Members

I dislike the overwhelming majority of "the" bassists posted here. Wooten, Jaco, Miller, etc.

U2 - boring and so full of {censored} I can't stand it

80s metal - sepultura, slayer, megadeth, etc. - cheesy and boring

Bruce Springsteen - /yawn

Rush - every song sounds the same, I can't stand listening to the vocalist for more than 5 minutes

• Members

Bands that claim to be "Metal."
What's with the cookie monster vocals? Same with the stereotypical image(??). Fill me in...PLEASE.

____-core bands.
See above comments on Metal.

Real punk.
I get the passion thru simplicity aspect, but... :idk:

Gangsta music.
I understand, your expressing where you come from, but the fact of the matter is- your still romanticizing it for our youth, regardless of your intentions...but that's okay because your getting RICH right NOW. :rolleyes:

Contemporary Blues.
Exploring the roots of Rock, Jazz and American music in general is great, but...

Contemporary "Christian" praise & worship music.
Artistic integrity? What artistic integrity?

• Members
Bands that claim to be "Metal."

What's with the cookie monster vocals? Same with the stereotypical image(??). Fill me in...PLEASE.

____-core bands.

See above comments on Metal.

Real punk.

I get the passion thru simplicity aspect, but...
:idk:

Gangsta music.

I understand, your expressing where you come from, but the fact of the matter is- your still romanticizing it for our youth, regardless of your intentions...but that's okay because your getting RICH right NOW.
:rolleyes:

Contemporary Blues.

Exploring the roots of Rock, Jazz and American music in general is great, but...

Contemporary "Christian" praise & worship music.

Artistic integrity? What artistic integrity?

I think I can +1 to all of this, especially the coookie monster thing. Seriously, WTF??? I'd listen to a lot more heavy bands if they got rid of that retarded crap and had actual singers. Screamo/cookie monster bands have the mental and musical IQ of a typical 12 year old.

• Members

Rush - I really don't like the vocals, everything else is cool though.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - I liked them at first, then I realised just how limited I feel they are

Bruce Springsteen - urghhh

Tool - None of their work inspires me and I can think the only track I can listen to all the way through is Anema

Creed - Everything about them grates on me

Metallica - I liked their thrash metal days

Aerosmith - Can't stand their brand of hard rock

Guns & Roses - See Aerosmith

The only bands "I really don't like" which "I also don't get" there is Bruce Springsteen and Creed,

OT: But I really like Dream Theater :(

• Members

Amen.

Granted some can be derivative. It is meant to be an alternative (at least in message) for kids who like the music but don't agree with the mainstream lyrics.

Some Contemporary Christian music that is original and shows a high level of instrumental savvy is Michael W. Smith (the other "king of pop") and Paul Baloche.

Anyway, this isn't meant to convince or disrespect anybody's opinion. I know everybody should feel free to throw a few stones in this thread without having to justify their choices. Heck, I did.

• Members

Granted some can be derivative. It
is
meant to be an alternative (at least in message) for kids who like the music but don't agree with the mainstream lyrics.

Some Contemporary Christian music that is original and shows a high level of instrumental savvy is Michael W. Smith (the other "king of pop") and Paul Baloche.

Anyway, this isn't meant to convince or disrespect anybody's opinion. I know everybody should feel free to throw a few stones in this thread without having to justify their choices. Heck, I did.

I hear ya. For awhile I had a good time finding better Christian performing artists.

However, I was referring to (for the most part) the udder crap I was forced to play for worship every Sunday morning, evening & Wed nite.

So many Bible verses I can't enjoy any longer due to people making money putting the most watered down musical arrangements to them. Thanks for nothing ...but enjoy your new Beemer.

Archived