Basses you hate that everyone else seems to like

Neonfacelift

• Members

Gotta plus (+) the Warwick comments. I've heard them sound pretty okay. I just don't like the look of them.

+ on the coffee table "boutique" basses.

+ on Gibsons especially the T-Bird. Notable exception is the RD??, I think it is. Nice looking instrument, there.

Biggest pet peeve is any Fender (or other) knockoff...be it a low $ rip off or a high $ copy/improvement...I just don't like the idea.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as the 'Wick comments tho, the necks were re-shaped and made differently once the switch to ovangkol, which was 98/99.

My Thumb 6 BO coming in is pre this switch so it'll be interesting to see how much difference there is.

• Members

I hate signature basses of all brands, but especially the Jaco and Jamerson models.

Jaco's bass was purchased at a pawnshop cheap, and he drove stove botls in the neck to make it stable, defretted it at home, and covered the neck with boat epoxy. It worked for him, but not adviseable for most of the rest of us. He also mistreated that bass, and let the finish erode by not ever cleaning it, leaving it in the sun, etc.

So now Fender wants me to drop $3000 on a replica of this pawns shop, badly modifies, abused bass????

• Members

As far as the 'Wick comments tho, the necks were re-shaped and made differently once the switch to ovangkol, which was 98/99.

My Thumb 6 BO coming in is pre this switch so it'll be interesting to see how much difference there is.

I've played dozens before the switch and dozens after... as much as I dig how they sound in other peoples hands... I've yet to find one that I'd consider owning

• Members

Rickenbacker. The only person who makes them look good is Lemmy. That tells you all you need to know about their asthetic merits.

Les Pauls. They just look wrong with a bass neck attached.

I was waiting for someone to say it first but I've tried out 3 Ricks and didn't like any of them. I also don't like the Les Pauls, SG's or any bass that is made from an electric body that was already "famous" as an electric.

• Members

I agree with the Gibson comment but I think that the only exceptions are the Grabber, Ripper, RD and Victory.
:)

I'm not a big fan of the Grabber or Ripper. Not sure what the Victory looks like.

I would say that the semi-hollowbody basses look good, though.

• Members

BC Rich(with the exception of the heritage), Fender(all), SX, Ibanez, F-bass, Dean, Tobias, CT, and Wal . Think I hit em all there..

As far as like goes...

Warwick is just a "Meh", Gas for a EBMM horribly right now, Spector Euro wins 2nd place to EBMM only because i haven't had the opportunity to play one yet. Shecters are nice mid-range basses but i'm quickly growing tired of it as i've moved on from the darker sounds of music and that thing seems to lean toward a darker sound though the neck feels good.

• Members

I've played dozens before the switch and dozens after... as much as I dig how they sound in other peoples hands... I've yet to find one that I'd consider owning

The Streamer II and the Thumbs are the only ones I've liked. I had a Vette 5 once, and while through an Eden head on tape it sounded wicked, I hated the feel of the thing.

• Members

I am skeptical, but not quire hatelful, regarding those with more than four strings. And Warwicks.

So when I dropkick you in the face with this action-

random333.jpg

how's it taste!?!? :mad::mad:

;)

• Members

So when I dropkick you in the face with this action-

random333.jpg

how's it taste!?!?
:mad:
:mad:

;)

It tastes bad to me. Looks good on you, though!

Is Warwick love a Texas thing? It seems many in my remote corner of the state own them. Maybe it's because the local GC has like 60 of them on the wall? Or maybe the fact they use railroad ties for necks makes locals nostalgic for the Old West.

I kid because I love.

• Members

It tastes bad to me. Looks good on you, though!

Is Warwick love a Texas thing? It seems many in my remote corner of the state own them. Maybe it's because the local GC has like 60 of them on the wall? Or maybe the fact they use railroad ties for necks makes locals nostalgic for the Old West.

I kid because I love.

A lot of it is GC. I've been in GC's in other states and the Warwick presence wasn't anything like it is here. But I think it's good, actually. It's a least a pretty quality instrument as an alternative to the questionable Fenfers you pick up.

The GC in Houston sucks balls, while the one in Austin is pretty diverse, and they have TONS of used gear there and it's all usually pretty decent, albeit overpriced.

• Members

Is Warwick love a Texas thing? It seems many in my remote corner of the state own them. Maybe it's because the local GC has like 60 of them on the wall? .

And therein, to me, lies the crux of the problem with Warwacks.

SO many people have them because warwick obvioulsy made some sort of deal with GC, so you walk into GC and are assaulted with 50-100 warwicks on the wall, so immediately the n00b kid who doesnt know any better thinks it's a high-end killer bass.

The only reason so many 'wacks are sold is availability. period.

A kid sees a wood finish and thinks it's a quality bass, but generally people buying basses at GC off the wall dont know enough about their options ot make an informed decision.

It's the lazy man's bass. The fast food of coffee table basses.

No style, no "mojo", aesthetically inferior to most brands.

but hey, there it is hanging on the wall.

now there are a few nice 'wacks around, but there are hundreds of fugly mofugly ones being played by people who don't know enough or don't care enough to explore their options.

• Members

And therein, to me, lies the crux of the problem with Warwacks.

SO many people have them because warwick obvioulsy made some sort of deal with GC, so you walk into GC and are assaulted with 50-100 warwicks on the wall, so immediately the n00b kid who doesnt know any better thinks it's a high-end killer bass.

The only reason so many 'wacks are sold is availability. period.

A kid sees a wood finish and thinks it's a quality bass, but generally people buying basses at GC off the wall dont know enough about their options ot make an informed decision.

It's the lazy man's bass. The fast food of coffee table basses.

No style, no "mojo", aesthetically inferior to most brands.

but hey, there it is hanging on the wall.

now there are a few nice 'wacks around, but there are hundreds of fugly mofugly ones being played by people who don't know enough or don't care enough to explore their options.

No different than the dozens of MIM Fenders on the walls...

Archived