Basses you hate that everyone else seems to like

Neonfacelift

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've gone out of my way to try to like Warwicks and Stingrays. Neither have gotten it for me. It's beyond strange to me that I like the Stingray's little brother, the SUB. I think it's got more character. But then, I like some Precisions too. :) And Yammy Attitudes!:mad: I also don't like bling basses. Lotsa gold hardware doesn't get it for me. I might like to look at fancy woods but I have no desire to own a bass out of, for instance, spalted somethin' er other. Burled maple flame etc. A little flame on the back of a maple neck is nice, I guess. Wenge necks feel, play, and sound great. Can't complain there. I don't care for the look of basses that have that extended upper horn that isn't seperate from the neck. That just looks too weird. Ditto for monster lower cutaways like some Zon basses. I think I must be a traditionalist when it comes to looks of basses.

Hate's too strong a word, but if you gave me many of the popular high-end basses I'd sell them to buy lower cost basses that appeal more to me.

• Members

Fender, overrated, overplayed.

I know I will get a ton of hate for this but I have played many EB MusicMan SR basses and haven't been too impressed with them. They sound good and all but something about 'em is just lacking for me. :confused:

On the flip side... I have a rondo bass, (Brice 6) and I adore it. Plays better than anything I've picked up aside from G&L.

• Members

The infamous Peavey T-40. What a colossal piece of crap.

You know, I've often thought the same thing, but didn't want to insult anyone... I bought one, put new strings on it, did a decent set-up, and played it for a couple of days.. I ended up taking it back, because it didn't play as well as any of my other basses(mostly Fenders), nor did it sound all that great to my ear - besides being the heaviest bass I'd ever owned...

- georgestrings

• Members

So it seems that we should all learn how to play keys and just do the left-handed bass jive that Stormtrooer DRF does.... all basses are crap (if you read this thread).... I like how some people say that they've never encountered a *brand of bass* that didn't have flaws or felt like it should cost what it does, and it makes me wonder if they've actually played more than one of that brand....

Very Surprised no one has mentioned Traben, every one of those things I've picked off the wall has been a collosal waste of good wood. 'Wicks don't get my mojo flowin', Ibby SGR's can all go to hell, Deans are not my bag, I'm not into Fender or copy-cat bodies, Micheal Kelly should go into a different biz alltogether, I've given them a fair chance and still felt I need to wash my hands after looking at those things,

but what do I know, I play a Schecter, a cheap Yamaha, an Essex (SX) and an 'inexpensive' upright......

• Members

They licensed the design for a while, and once it was up I'm not sure how they keep making them like they do? Maybe re-upped it w/ Ned or Stuart.

Steinberger designed the streamer/spector shape and sold the liscencing to BOTH companies, neither are in the wrong. However both have modified the shape slightly so that there are distingushable features.

I love everything, especially warwicks, all the noobs that don't like them are silly!

• Members

Steinberger designed the streamer/spector shape and sold the liscencing to BOTH companies, neither are in the wrong. However both have modified the shape slightly so that there are distingushable features.

I love everything, especially warwicks, all the noobs that don't like them are silly!

But all us guys wuith 25+ years playing that don't like tham are absolutely correct. :D

• Members

Greetings, all,

A little late on this one I fear. Nevertheless....

Bass hatred seems a bit extreme. There are however some basses that I have "issues" with. Primarily, ALL headless basses just creep me out. I find them most unattractive and weird. When I play in the first position it somehow is comforting to know that the headstock is just to the left. Maybe the prospect of moving my hand into empty space has something to do with it.

Gibson somehow keeps screwing around with their basses. Why? I have a Gibson T-bird that I love. Some years ago I was looking on e-bay and saw my first RD-Artist. I thought great, another strange bass creation from the big "G". A co-worker who had formerly played bass and went on to MIDI and synth composing sent me an e-mail and just said "Buy this and don't ask any questions."

Well, I trusted his advice and bid and won. While it was in transit I checked the shipping weight and thought that it was either not quite right or the seller placed bricks in the package. No so. The RD-Artist is without question the heaviest bass made, so far. Also this was the only Gibson anything I had seen with a maple fingerboard. The end of this is, I love the bass and its somewhat T-bird derived design and natural though not ostentatious finish. Never mind the on-board electronics designed by one Robert Moog. So, what does Gibson do? Cancel it of course. And yet continue, at the time, the EB-0 and EB-3.

I do not understand the Fender hatred here, though it may have something to do with the old CBS purchase and subsequent quality issues that are still an issue. A Mexican Fender indeed, and what the hell is a "Squire"?

I have a candy apple red '63 jazz bass and find it a most excellent playing and sounding device.

Rickenbacker basses sound good to my ears and I think their finishes are unlike any others. Mapleglow, fireglow, quite nice.

However....I have tried at least four Rics and the problem I have is consistent; the neck just feels strange to me. I don't know if it is width or thinness, it just feels, well, odd.

By the way, anyone here play a Kubicki? True, for the most part they are headless, hence not open for consideration, however there is one model with headstock that I would consider if I heard one or knew anyone who has.

bye,

s

• Members

Greetings, all,

A little late on this one I fear. Nevertheless....

I do not understand the Fender hatred here, though it may have something to do with the old CBS purchase and subsequent quality issues that are still an issue. A Mexican Fender indeed, and what the hell is a "Squire"?

I have a candy apple red '63 jazz bass and find it a most excellent playing and sounding device.

Rickenbacker basses sound good to my ears and I think their finishes are unlike any others. Mapleglow, fireglow, quite nice.

However....I have tried at least four Rics and the problem I have is consistent; the neck just feels strange to me. I don't know if it is width or thinness, it just feels, well, odd.

bye,

s

The Fender hatred is based on a fact they they are a large company I think. The are "The Man", but they make good basses IMO. they use some {censored}ty parts, but the stuff they put out is solid. There aren't too may QC issues that I'm aware of anymore. I know the only bad thing about my Fender was the bridge. It's just a POS.

As far as Ric's, yes the necks are weird and I think it stems from the fact that the neck is the same width at the body as it is at the nut. It's just weird. It was one of the major issues I had with it..actually the only major issue. I have small hands and it could be a problem sometimes in the lower register for me. Weird necks for sure though.

Oh and welcome to the board! :wave:

Dan

• Members

16 years ago, I hated the 70's Gibson Ripper I had. Was the only name brand bass I could afford at the time (was 15, saw it in the paper). I thought the body looked like the Great Gazoo from the Flintstones. Sure as hell wish I still had it now!

I wouldn't say that I hate them, but I'm not quite into the whole "relic" deal. I love the look of 60's and 70's Fenders... tobacco burst, shell pink, seafoam green, tortoise, cream knobs and pup covers, etc, but the fake wearing and aging done to a guitar that was still a tree a few weeks ago, it just seems a bit "poseur" (to borrow a term from my skateboard/BMX days).

Coffee table bass? I'm assuming that's the single cutaway? If so, I'm onboard with my own dislike of that look. After I got back into playing a year ago, I saw a $7000 example on ebay, and thought "WTF, the uglier they get, the more the price goes up?"

Archived