Basses you hate that everyone else seems to like

Neonfacelift

• Members

While I can't think of any axes I straight up hate, there's a lot that just aren't my cup of tea. As I've never owned a Fender in thirty years playing, yet admire the Fender-ish Yamaha BB's, I must like them subconsciously . . .

Amazing how many 'down on Warwick' replies! Not for me, but I have admired some of their features. But I will say this: They REALLY owe a big debt to Spector/Steinberger, as their earliest models (STREAMERS !) are obviously VERY-Spector-ish!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think it's a Cort, but that's a custom finish fo' sho'!

I played one before, and I was mightily impressed.

+1, It's a Cort, check ebay, they have tons of finishes up there

for example:
IM008419.JPG
1158784678219_IM006540.JPG
IM008395.JPG
IM000639.JPG
1144591030039_1142852685143_IM003112.JPG
IM006564.JPG

I like the silver and the red, they are incredible, but I might consider picking up the blue for some variety!

• Members

Amazing how many 'down on Warwick' replies! Not for me, but I have admired some of their features. But I will say this: They REALLY owe a big debt to Spector/Steinberger, as their earliest models (STREAMERS !) are obviously VERY-Spector-ish!

They licensed the design for a while, and once it was up I'm not sure how they keep making them like they do? Maybe re-upped it w/ Ned or Stuart.

• Moderators

It seems that I am not out of the ordinary when I say I dislike Warwicks. They look dated to me and they don't sound right to my ears in my hands. I'll listen to another bassist play one, but please don't make me use one.

I've disliked every hollowbody I've played other than the Lakland. Not that I can't stand them, but they have never done it for me. Typically I think it is the electronics used that I like the least.

I've been greatly disappointed in the craftsmanship of most custom basses I've played. There have been a few custom builders that have really excited me in their attention to detail, but most customs I've played lack quality when compared to off the wall basses in the $500 range.

Basses I hate? Well... I can't really think of any.

• Members

I don't hate any bass, but ones that just don't do much for me that I'd think would are: Schecters, 'Wacks, and Riks... Schecters just don't seem to be of the same quality as similar, and similarly priced basses, I never really cared for the sound of an 'Wack I've played, nor did I like their necks that much, and as for Riks - love the way the neck feels, the level of craftsmanship - but don't care for their sound, nor the way they feel on me while standing - definetly an ergonomic nightmare...

I could accomplish everything I'd ever need to with a Fender, a Spector, and a 'Ray...

- georgestrings

• Members

I've been greatly disappointed in the craftsmanship of
most
custom basses I've played. There have been a few custom builders that have really excited me in their attention to detail, but most customs I've played lack quality when compared to off the wall basses in the $500 range.

Any particular examples?

• Moderators

Any particular examples?

I'm not going to call out anyone's work where I've only held a bass or two. I also don't want to cast dispersions on a bass I know was lovingly made and is lovingly owned. As far as I am concerned, the only evaluation that matters between customer builder and owner is the two of them. When people ask particular questions about a builders work, I often answer via PM.

I could trash one bass in particular that gets lots of love on several boards. I would never feel right doing so having only played one example of one model and not talking directly to the builder to see if certain "flaws" were intentional or were caused by the owner's budget concerns, etc.

• Members
I could trash one bass in particular that gets lots of love on several boards. I would never feel right doing so having only played one example of one model and not talking directly to the builder to see if certain "flaws" were intentional or were caused by the owner's budget concerns, etc.

You're totally going to have to spill the beans now. :D

• Moderators

:cry:

Don't start getting all weird on me. I've never said one bad word about your LeComptes... If I start talking about all the customs I have liked then it'll be easy to figure out those I didn't and I don't want to voice an opinion where my opinion is essentially meaningless. :cool:

Archived