How interesting is this Gibson Bass ?

jackcheez

• Members

Count me in! Mike Watt has one too!
:thu:

Yup, and that's reason enough for me. That bass is awesome too, he let me try it once. I could feel the mojo oozing into me. Sadly, it didn't make me a better bassist, but I won't forget it.

• Members

Yup, and that's reason enough for me. That bass is awesome too, he let me try it once. I could feel the mojo oozing into me. Sadly, it didn't make me a better bassist, but I won't forget it.

That's very, very cool man. I've heard he's just about the nicest guy in music. :)

• Members

That's very, very cool man. I've heard he's just about the nicest guy in music.
:)

+ Everything

I told my Mike Watt story once here, I should try to find it and share again, since it came up, and it validates your statement and then some.

• Members

Mike Watt is the coolest of cool guys.

I had the privilege of meeting him after a solo show of his years back and we talked bass for a while as he packed up his gear.

8 months later I got to see him again, and he acted like he recognized me, so we got talking more, I'll be damned if the conversation didn't feel like it picked up where we left off. All the while he is signing autographs, he is looking sideways and still talking to me.

Then eventually the crowd was gone and it was just us, he kept talking while wrapping cables up, and then asked if I wanted his autograph too. He is one of my bass gods, but I am not big on the autograph thing, doubley so because I work as a guitar tech, so have to be humble about working with celebs of various sorts. So I politely declined, telling him that I prefer to collect stories and experiences, not scribbles on a piece of paper.

He smiled at that, reached out and grabbed the ticket stub which was sticking out of my pocket, scribbled something on it and put it back where it came from. He had to get his gear together, so had to get going. I offered numerous times to help, I wanted to help him lug his gear so badly, it would be an honour, but he declined, he appreciated it, but he moves his own gear, it's just part of his Econo vibe.

We said our goodbyes and went on our ways. When I got home I remembered the ticket stub, pulled it out and looked at it.

Mike Watt wrote "Mike Watt loves Shale" on it.

It had been 8 months and who knows how many shows since I first met him, and he remembered my name from that first meeting. You don't get much cooler than that.

At the time I was also planning a work trip to Long Beach. He invited me to his place in San Pedro for some BBQ, but as it happens, he was playing out of town (with The Stooges IIRC), so it never came to fruition.

• Members

I had the privilege of meeting him after a solo show of his years back and we talked bass for a while as he packed up his gear.

8 months later I got to see him again, and he acted like he recognized me, so we got talking more, I'll be damned if the conversation didn't feel like it picked up where we left off. All the while he is signing autographs, he is looking sideways and still talking to me.

Then eventually the crowd was gone and it was just us, he kept talking while wrapping cables up, and then asked if I wanted his autograph too. He is one of my bass gods, but I am not big on the autograph thing, doubley so because I work as a guitar tech, so have to be humble about working with celebs of various sorts. So I politely declined, telling him that I prefer to collect stories and experiences, not scribbles on a piece of paper.

He smiled at that, reached out and grabbed the ticket stub which was sticking out of my pocket, scribbled something on it and put it back where it came from. He had to get his gear together, so had to get going. I offered numerous times to help, I wanted to help him lug his gear so badly, it would be an honour, but he declined, he appreciated it, but he moves his own gear, it's just part of his Econo vibe.

We said our goodbyes and went on our ways. When I got home I remembered the ticket stub, pulled it out and looked at it.

It had been 8 months and who knows how many shows since I first met him, and he remembered my name from that first meeting. You don't get much cooler than that.

At the time I was also planning a work trip to Long Beach. He invited me to his place in San Pedro for some BBQ, but as it happens, he was playing out of town (with The Stooges IIRC), so it never came to fruition.

Awesome story dude. :thu:

• Members

Jesus, that's a great story.

I sadly never saw The Minutemen...I could have but missed the chance in favor of doing something else. :cry::mad:

But I did see fIREHOSE twice...in 1986 and sometime around 1989-1990. I did get to speak to Mike. He told me I looked like an old friend of his. (He was talking about D. Boon. A lot of people used to tell me I looked like him, but I'm a little trimmer now and sport a beard.)

It's great when someone you look up to who is so talented also happens to be a righteous human being.

• Members

Dude, I don't think anyone here but you and me like the non-reverse Thunderbirds.
:thu::love:

Ya think you, me, Eric Chambers and Renfield are a large enough contingent to get Gibson to do a regular-run production non-reverse T?

In my case, it'd have to be an Epi probably. I'm a broke bastid.

Didn't Epiphone put out some in the late 90s?

Archived