First Gig With IEM's

Thunderbroom

• Members

Sorta...

I bought the Galaxy Audio AS100 setup like burdizzos has this past week. My reason for doing so, which may not be the best, is based on this thread.

We played a fest yesterday on a large stage. I know the sound guy really well. He's a pro that has the contract for Chicago's Hard Rock Cafe. While he told me he could give me my own monitor mix, I asked for just an FOH mix. He thought this was odd, but I told him why, and he honored my request.

After the first three songs, I pulled them out. I couldn't hear myself though I could hear the band clearly. I played the rest of the set just using my amp. At the beginning of the second set I decided to try it again. This time I boosted the highs on my amp and cut the lows so it would cut better. For some reason, this worked really, really well. My amp was not super loud on stage yet I could hear it clearly as well as hearing all the instrumentation and vocals of my bandmates.

The earbuds were a little awkward at first but I really liked the setup overall. I'm gonna give it another go at our next gig and when we play another fest where I can actually get my own mix, I'm gonna take it.

The band that played after us last night was amazing. All the band members use IEM's and they were essentially premixed before the hit the stage as they had a setup on stage to adjust their IEM's. They did no soundcheck at all. They just started playing. The bass player was awesome and made me feel woefully inadequate. He was playing a Fender Jazz through a Mesa setup and I was blown away.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorta...

I bought the Galaxy Audio AS100 setup like burdizzos has this past week. My reason for doing so, which may not be the best, is

We played a fest yesterday on a large stage. I know the sound guy really well. He's a pro that has the contract for Chicago's Hard Rock Cafe. While he told me he could give me my own monitor mix, I asked for just an FOH mix. He thought this was odd, but I told him why, and he honored my request.

After the first three songs, I pulled them out. I couldn't hear myself though I could hear the band clearly. I played the rest of the set just using my amp. At the beginning of the second set I decided to try it again. This time I boosted the highs on my amp and cut the lows so it would cut better. For some reason, this worked really, really well. My amp was not super loud on stage yet I could hear it clearly as well as hearing all the instrumentation and vocals of my bandmates.

The earbuds were a little awkward at first but I really liked the setup overall. I'm gonna give it another go at our next gig and when we play another fest where I can actually get my own mix, I'm gonna take it.

The band that played after us last night was amazing. All the band members use IEM's and they were essentially premixed before the hit the stage as they had a setup on stage to adjust their IEM's. They did no soundcheck at all. They just started playing. The bass player was awesome and made me feel woefully inadequate. He was playing a Fender Jazz through a Mesa setup and I was blown away.

That sucks about not being able to hear yourself. I've never used IEM's live. Just my amp and normally a monitor upfront. It would be cool to try.

Do you know what Mesa head he was playing through?

Dan

• Members

That sucks about not being able to hear yourself. I've never used IEM's live. Just my amp and normally a monitor upfront. It would be cool to try.

Do you know what Mesa head he was playing through?

Dan

I couldn't tell. It was pretty big though. The cab was a 410. I did kinda think having that big of an amp was odd considering they were using IEM's and it appeared he was using a DI.

My lead guitarist used a Fender Blues Junior.

:D

In regards to not hearing myself, that was a function of what I asked for. Had I asked for an actual mix, it would have been great. Unfortunately, the place we're playing next can't send me my own mix so I'm trying to compromise.

• Members

It takes some getting used to, that's for sure, but I prefer it.

My band runs with a fairly bass heavy mix, so I rarely have trouble hearing myself in the FOH mix.

If you can get the whole band on board, it would be super sweet.

• CMS Author

That sucks about not being able to hear yourself. I've never used IEM's live.

That's only because he didn't have his bass in the mix, which really sucks. But that's one of the problems you encounter when the whole band isn't on board with IEM's. Considering the weird (amp's gotta facew backwards) stage setup this venue demanded, it's odd nobod needed bass in the monitors.

• Members

IME, as I said in the other thread, it's a pretty big jump and takes a good bit of getting used to for IEMs-only. I haven't actually played an outdoor gig with IEMs yet, though.

It's tricky getting the "right" EQ mix in there too. Luckily at church and my last country band who used them, the monitor mixes had EQ's on there as well, so I didn't have to fight the bass and kick freq's much at all in my ears.

Was nice. :)

And wtf Dan, when did this BB750 come home!?!?

• Members

Considering the weird (amp's gotta facew backwards) stage setup this venue demanded, it's odd nobod needed bass in the monitors.

The gig we played yesterday is not the venue that started this whole mess. We were playing a fest. I used this gig as a dry run.

• Moderators
I did kinda think having that big of an amp was odd considering they were using IEM's and it appeared he was using a DI.

Using a DI other than from the amp? That does seem strange. If he's not using the post eq DI on the Mesa head, why bother bringing the amp at all? Maybe they just do that for image or as backup, in case the IEM setup goes down.

• Members

Using a DI other than from the amp? That does seem strange. If he's not using the post eq DI on the Mesa head, why bother bringing the amp at all? Maybe they just do that for image or as backup, in case the IEM setup goes down.

I know from firsthand how tasty the post-DI from that head is... I sure hope he was using it!

• Members

He very well could have been using the DI from his head. I couldn't tell. I swear I saw three 1/4 cables coming off of his body. I have no idea what that was all about but as I said: his playing was outstanding and his tone was to die for.

Gotta question for any sound guys that may read this. The Galaxy transmitter has the ability to receive two inputs. One channel has XLR or 1/4" the other has RCA or 1/4". What I'm wondering is there a way to put an FOH mix in one channel and my bass in the other directly from a board. Can that be done with inserts?

• Members

My band has been using them for more than 2 years, and I love them.

We each have our own mix....4 of us.

I can't imagine going back to wedges.

Howdy yall!

Same here.

If the next act I play with uses wedges, I'm probably just going to buy my own Sennheiser setup and use my Westones, regardless of what they do.

• Members

He very well could have been using the DI from his head. I couldn't tell. I swear I saw three 1/4 cables coming off of his body. I have no idea what that was all about but as I said: his playing was outstanding and his tone was to die for.

Gotta question for any sound guys that may read this. The Galaxy transmitter has the ability to receive two inputs. One channel has XLR or 1/4" the other has RCA or 1/4". What I'm wondering is there a way to put an FOH mix in one channel and my bass in the other directly from a board. Can that be done with inserts?

The RCA is the only issue I have with the galaxies, I will check to see what levels the 1/4 with the rca side uses, if it isn't to hot, they should be able to take the direct out from the bass strip at FOH and plug it into the 1/4 on the galaxy. Also wonder if the galaxy is a T/S input, if so, you may want to go to RAT shack and get a T/S-TRS adapter with a x-former in it. That would be about 12 bucks. If I get around to it later, I will try to find the specs on your IEM's to see what it would take to do it with common gear.

Oh, and an easy, but awkward way I could do it, I have a cheap peavey 6 channel board I used to use before I got a pandora to mix CD and Bass or drum machine to practice with, it has RCA outs. If you are desperate, they are probably about 60-80 bucks.

One last thing, you mention using the inserts, are you reffering to the insert jack on the bass channel strip? If so, yeah, you could use that, just have to rig up a special cord. Wondering out loud, I think you could get a TRS plug, short Tip to ring, and just run a 2 wire instrument cable to a TS plug into your galaxy. (if it is a TS, and not TRS input)

FWIW. TS=Tip/Sleeve= standard instument jack/plug

TRS=Tip/Ring/sleeve, these are used for balanced signals like a mike cord, or for insert where generally Tip=send and Ring = return. (I am pretty sure)

I would look it up before you wired a cord though.

• Members

I'm fixing to have my first gig with IEMS. Only me and the drummer will have them. The two guitarists and the keyboardist own IEMS too, but still prefer wedges. And we're not going to have a sound engineer at all at the gig. I have a feeling that it's not going to go down well.

• Members

The RCA is the only issue I have with the galaxies, I will check to see what levels the 1/4 with the rca side uses, if it isn't to hot, they should be able to take the direct out from the bass strip at FOH and plug it into the 1/4 on the galaxy. Also wonder if the galaxy is a T/S input, if so, you may want to go to RAT shack and get a T/S-TRS adapter with a x-former in it. That would be about 12 bucks. If I get around to it later, I will try to find the specs on your IEM's to see what it would take to do it with common gear.

Oh, and an easy, but awkward way I could do it, I have a cheap peavey 6 channel board I used to use before I got a pandora to mix CD and Bass or drum machine to practice with, it has RCA outs. If you are desperate, they are probably about 60-80 bucks.

One last thing, you mention using the inserts, are you reffering to the insert jack on the bass channel strip? If so, yeah, you could use that, just have to rig up a special cord. Wondering out loud, I think you could get a TRS plug, short Tip to ring, and just run a 2 wire instrument cable to a TS plug into your galaxy. (if it is a TS, and not TRS input)

FWIW. TS=Tip/Sleeve= standard instument jack/plug

TRS=Tip/Ring/sleeve, these are used for balanced signals like a mike cord, or for insert where generally Tip=send and Ring = return. (I am pretty sure)

I would look it up before you wired a cord though.

:freak:

I'm still trying to decipher all of that.

:D

I'm not sure if this helps but this is what the manual has to say regarding the inputs:

MIC INPUT: Balanced 1/4"/XLR combo jack for microphone level (XLR), or line level (1/4") signals.

LINE IN: Stereo RCA jacks for mono or stereo input

STEREO/MONO: Switch used to select stereo or mono mode of RCA LINE IN inputs

There are input level adjustments on the front for each of the two input types.

Wanted to interject this picture from the gig yesterday!!

l_a63827e40b582644693a5c7c956e0005.jpg

• Members

i have the same galaxy audio set up as you that i bought while i played with a band that was all totally IEM. the earbuds arent worth {censored} in that system. i had my own mix. what i did was buy some shure e3 earbuds to use with the AS1000 system. worked great. i usually had one ear with it in and one ear without. i wish my new band was all IEM. it makes everything so easy: less equipment to haul, can hear vocals extremely well, the mix is the same everytime. now i have a system just sitting there accumulating dust.

• Moderators

i usually had one ear with it in and one ear without.

Take a look around and you'll find that many pros will tell you this is an easy way to damage your hearing. Look into it and be careful with your ears.

• Members

Take a look around and you'll find that many pros will tell you this is an easy way to damage your hearing. Look into it and be careful with your ears.

+11.

This is the biggest no-no (usually) in all IEM manuals.

• Members

Good pic :thu:

Not looking at fretboard, check

Looking out at audience, check

Looking like you are having fun, check

I looked up the manual, it appears that if you switch to mono, you can use a standard guitar type cord to plug into input 2. If the mixing board has a direct out, that will usually be a balanced TRS type plug. I will look into a couple of my manuals, (unless craigv or someone else smarter than I ) looks at this post. I am not sure if you can use a standard instrument cord from a channel direct out. The insert jack can be used as an out, but, you need to return the signal to the same jack. (the insert jack is switched and interupts the signal from just past the trim pot(or knob) at the top of the switch) These are usually used for gates and comps where the signal goes into the channel strip, out through the insert jack to the processor (in your case the IEM's second channel) and then back to the channel strip to the eq's aux sends fader etc. Because you are not processing your signal, you don't need to send it back from your IEM's. I am thinking you can short the tip tab in a TRS 1/4 plug to the ring tab (this will return your bass signal to the channel strip) then solder in a standard guitar cable or patch cable onto the trs plug.

I looked at one of my manuals, and if you are using the channels direct out, a standard guitar cable will work.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

1. Sleeve: usually ground

2. Ring: Right-hand channel for stereo signals, negative phase for balanced mono signals, power supply for power-requiring mono signal sources

3. Tip: Left-hand channel for stereo signals, positive phase for balanced mono signals, signal line for unbalanced mono signals

4. Insulating rings

300px-Jack_plug.png

• Members

I suggested that in your other thread. You can use the tape out of the mixer on RCAs to get your FOH sound. Most mixers have RCA tape outs. Then you can use a send from the bass input channel to the 1/4" or XLR, using the two volume levels to control you mix.

Guess I missed that.

So if I bring a dual RCA cable and a dual TS cable, I should have my basses covered. Right?

• Members

Guess I missed that.

So if I bring a dual RCA cable and a dual TS cable, I should have my basses covered. Right?

I'll have to test it with mine and make sure that is right. Also, gspointer brings up a good point about the insert jack. I don't have enough experience with them to tell you that it will be that simple.

The easiest fix is more bass in the FOH. ;)

Archived