First Gig With IEM's

Thunderbroom

• Members

I'm pretty much in the same boat. With my molded pieces, it's not easy to hear much on stage when they're stuck way in there.

But this is a good thing.
:)

Your's are probably closer to a 24 dB drop. I'm happy with mine, but If I start gigging more often, I'll probably have a custom molded set made.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Your's are probably closer to a 24 dB drop. I'm happy with mine, but If I start gigging more often, I'll probably have a custom molded set made.

I think the upper-end Ultimate Ears have adjustable attenuators, which is pretty cool. I think they do -15 and -25dbs.

Molded fits change your world. They're really a treat, especially when you get some upper $$ models. The bass response is quite surprising.

• Members

Hell, I'm playing drums and when I have a perfect seal with my UE5 earbuds, I can't even hear most of them over the low level signal being fed to me. Seriously, if the guitarist is playing, I can't even hear my crash cymbals without them being mic'ed.

• CMS Author

Impossible as in I can't hear the instruments and singing? I should be able to hear everything, just at a lower volume. I don't need to blast my ears with bass either.

I may try it later today or tomorrow for fun.

The goal with IEM's is to have everything you need in the IEM's, and nothing bleeding through acoustically. Any bleed will mean you don't have a good seal, or good isolation material, and that you will need to raise the level in the IEM's to compensate. Bad for your hearing, just as using only one bud is bad.

Your attempts, or seeming attempts to do this piecemeal are reducing the effectiveness you can have with an IEM system. Get a proper monitor mix, and do whatever it takes (custom molds are ideal) to get a really good seal with your buds. The results will be nothing short of astounding, IMO. The ability to hear exactly what you need, at a comfortable listening level, and going home *without* ringing ears.....ahhhhh, it's so sweet.

• Members

The goal with IEM's is to have everything you need in the IEM's, and nothing bleeding through acoustically. Any bleed will mean you don't have a good seal, or good isolation material, and that you will need to raise the level in the IEM's to compensate. Bad for your hearing, just as using only one bud is bad.

Your attempts, or seeming attempts to do this piecemeal are reducing the effectiveness you can have with an IEM system. Get a proper monitor mix, and do whatever it takes (custom molds are ideal) to get a really good seal with your buds. The results will be nothing short of astounding, IMO. The ability to hear exactly what you need, at a comfortable listening level, and going home *without* ringing ears.....ahhhhh, it's so sweet.

Nailed it.

You'd be surprised how much lower you can run levels of stuff when they're properly sealed.

The bass and kick response is 100% better too.

• Members

I gotcha; however, at the venue on 6/20 getting my own monitor mix is not going to happen because the sound engineer uses all he has available for my other bandmates. I'm not trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be though I may be doing just that. I just want to hear myself clearly, not have excessive stage volume, and keep the owners of this particular venue happy.

• CMS Author

I gotcha; however, at the venue on 6/20 getting my own monitor mix is not going to happen because the sound engineer uses all he has available for my other bandmates. I'm not trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be though I may be doing just that. I just want to hear myself clearly, not have excessive stage volume, and keep the owners of this particular venue happy.

None of the other mixes will work for you? Can't you compromise on one of them? It seems as if you're doing all the giving here.

• Members
It seems as if you're doing all the giving here.

That's my MO. Call me martyr man.
:D

At this point I'm going to try one of the suggestions I've received in these threads: ask for a feed of the FOH mix off the board and possibly a feed off the bass channel on the board if it can be done. I'll try this, and if it doesn't work for me, I'll use my amp exclusively as I've done in the past.

My plan is to use one of my JBL MRX512's as a wedge and feed either my Neopak or 600 to it. Since the wedge is so small compared to my 212, I can likely get away with putting it on the side or in front of me (something that just won't work with the 212 under the circumstances) instead of having to face it to the rear like I did with the 212 last time we played there.

I'm assuming it's no big deal to run a head sitting vertical instead of horizontal, as I intend to just sit the head on the floor by the wedge.

• CMS Author

I use one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rolls-PM350-Personal-Monitor?sku=632004&src=3SOSWXXA

I get a general monitor mix, add in my bass (and vocals), and mix them how I want. I then run the output to my IEM.

Works well.

It has no limiting, and should never be used alone for live sound monitoring. Even if you have a limiter, do you know how to set it properly so it actually works?

This type of device gets posted to the Live Sound forum on a fairly regular basis as a "poor-man's IEM" solution. It would more accurately be a "deaf-man's IEM" device.

• CMS Author

That's my MO. Call me martyr man.

:D

At this point I'm going to try one of the suggestions I've received in these threads: ask for a feed of the FOH mix off the board and possibly a feed off the bass channel on the board if it can be done. I'll try this, and if it doesn't work for me, I'll use my amp exclusively as I've done in the past.

You would need a return from the board to take the bass channel feed, and there would need to be an unused group output available to do this (since there's no aux output available). I don't think that's easy or convenient.

You've got the Galaxy AS-1000? It would be a simple matter to take a split from a monitor or FOH send into one input on the transmitter, and use a DI to split your bass signal for that to go to the other input on the transmitter. I think this was already suggested somewhere in the discussion....will this work?

• Members

You've got the Galaxy AS-1000? It would be a simple matter to take a split from a monitor or FOH send into one input on the transmitter, and use a DI to split your bass signal for that to go to the other input on the transmitter. I think this was already suggested somewhere in the discussion....will this work?

I don't claim to be the brightest so bear with me.

Are you saying that I should bring a spare 1/4" speaker cable and daisychain it off one of the monitors (the drummer's would be best because he uses a pretty even mix with the vocals floating on top) to the Galaxy? Then use DI from my bass to feed to other channel and blend to taste?

If so, I'm guessing this my be doable and is preferable I think because I'd have the transmitter on stage with me and can control it.

Archived